• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Duckworth/Lewis - Fair?

Duckworth Lewis; good or bad?

• Total voters

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think it needs changing tbh.

The system gets 'smarter' the more games are played, so the only time it's really out of date is when there's a sudden change in how the game is played (the increase in prominence and quality of lower order sloggers a few years back as an example).

Sometimes it just needs a while to catch up.
Am I just misunderstanding DLS or is this completely incorrect? Short of updating the model I don't think the system takes into account any historical data.

EDIT: It appears I am wrong.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Nobody understands Duckworth-Lewis. Even Duckworth and Lewis do not understand Duckworth-Lewis.

Bijed

International Regular
I don't think it needs changing tbh.

The system gets 'smarter' the more games are played, so the only time it's really out of date is when there's a sudden change in how the game is played (the increase in prominence and quality of lower order sloggers a few years back as an example).

Sometimes it just needs a while to catch up.
Do you know if the historical data used is limited to the last x matches played or matches played in the last x years or anything like that? I know that would essentially stop the system from 'learning' as the amount of data available for use would essentially be kept at constant level, but equally data from before a sudden change to the game arguably shouldn't be used once there's enough new data around to get the model working well again.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
T20 is tough, because the break in play makes things so much harder - the effect of batsmen starting again is a lot greater in the shorter format.

cnerd123

likes this
T20 is tough, because the break in play makes things so much harder - the effect of batsmen starting again is a lot greater in the shorter format.
Yea there was an article on Cricinfo that essentially pointed out the problem with laying a platform in T20 vs ODIs is that it still takes a certain number of deliveries to get your eye in, regardless of the format, and in T20s that X number of balls is so much more critical than in an ODI.

D/L should probably be adjusted to reflect that.