• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Briony

International Debutant
Here's the mob from SA which will tour our shores.

South African squad for Australia: Graeme Smith (captain), Ashwell Prince (vice-captain), Hashim Amla, Mark Boucher, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Paul Harris, Jacques Kallis, Neil McKenzie, Morne Morkel, Makhaya Ntini, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe and Monde Zondeki.

grapedo

Banned
I hope tsotsobe gets ago they need that extra dimension in their attack. IMO. saying that I also hope morkel finds some form

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably for the best, Nel just isn't the same bowler he used to be.

Anyway, no reason not to have an *Official* thread now with the series so relatively close by.

grapedo

Banned
I personally think the bowling attack they have picked will do a more than capable job of bowling the australians out.

grapedo

Banned
Graeme smith has a reputation to end other captain's careers. It may just be ricky ponting's turn this time around.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Graeme smith has a reputation to end other captain's careers. It may just be ricky ponting's turn this time around.
Smith's been captain in a series where Hussain and Vaughan's captaincies finished. That's it.

kingkallis

International Coach
Yeah well they have a better team now. And Australia have a worse team now. And last time it was essentially 1-0 as australia only one the third test due to rain.
Aussies wont go down that easily! Form of Jacques Kallis and fitness of Steyn will be very important for South Africa!

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith's been captain in a series where Hussain and Vaughan's captaincies finished. That's it.
Yea but both times it was massive innings from the big fella that put an end to their captaincies.

Still. Won't happen. I'll be supporting SA massively through both series though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have to say that the number of catches SA have floored today against Bangladesh doesn't fill me with any confidence at all.

Heck, Graeme Smith dropped one. I can only recall him dropping 1 catch before in his Test career (not that it is the only one he's ever dropped, obv, but I can't imagine there'd be many others), and that was off the batsman who was dropped more than anyone else I've ever seen, Marcus Trescothick.

Uppercut

Have to say that the number of catches SA have floored today against Bangladesh doesn't fill me with any confidence at all.

Heck, Graeme Smith dropped one. I can only recall him dropping 1 catch before in his Test career (not that it is the only one he's ever dropped, obv, but I can't imagine there'd be many others), and that was off the batsman who was dropped more than anyone else I've ever seen, Marcus Trescothick.
Did you see the two run-outs though? Holy ****. I don't think i've ever seen two one-stump direct hits from the deep in one innings before.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't recall doing so. Think one from the deep was two-stump at worst tho.

Nonetheless, even if that was keep-up-able, I'd always take a very high percentage of catches taken to the stumps being hit. Always. You get far, far more chances to take catches than hit the stumps with a genuine run-out chance.

I've just seen so many cases of a team whose catching has been excellent in recent times losing it literally at the last minute before a series against Australia. Worst example being England in 2001, who dropped about 6 or 7 catches in the last Test before the series against Australia. Including 3 from one of the country's best slippers of recent times, Nick Knight.

Jakester1288

International Regular
If Brett Lee bowls like he did today and late yesterday he will get over 15 wickets in the series easily. He just needs to get a little more swing, and with his consistent line and length, at a decent pace, wickets will be his. I also think that the South Africans have a very strong batting line up, and a good bowling attack, lead by Steyn.

Uppercut

If Brett Lee bowls like he did today and late yesterday he will get over 15 wickets in the series easily. He just needs to get a little more swing, and with his consistent line and length, at a decent pace, wickets will be his. I also think that the South Africans have a very strong batting line up, and a good bowling attack, lead by Steyn.
Well he's hardly tearing viciously through batsmen in this series. And unlike NZ the South Africans know which way round to hold the bat.