• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worlds Best vs Worlds Worst (ODIs)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Using my rankings (see other threads)

These are the best and worst teams possible based on career performances by experienced players that played in 2008.

Worlds Best XI

1. Hayden (Aus)
2. Smith (SA)
3. Ponting (Aus)
4. KP (Eng)
5. Tendulkar (Ind)
6. Dhoni (Ind)
7. Flintoff (Eng)
8. Lee (Aus)
9. Ntini (SA)
10. Bracken (Aus)
11. Murali (SL)

Worlds Worst XI

1. Mubarak (SL)
2. Marshall (WI)
3. Devon Smith (WI)
4. Bopara (Eng)
5. Ontong (SA)
6. Afridi (Pak)
7. Baugh (WI)
8. Botha (SA)
9. Rawl Lewis (WI)
10. Rampaul (WI)
11. Gillespie (NZ)

Cam White not included as he didnt bat high enough for Aus to qualify as a batsman and didnt bowl enough overs to be classed as an allrounder.

Conclusion
The earth shattering realisation that Aus are good and WI suck :-O

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Afridi averaged 27.69 with the bat and 29 in this period. Bit hard done by in being called the worst. :ph34r:

Precambrian

Banned
Using my rankings (see other threads)

These are the best and worst teams possible based on career performances by experienced players that played in 2008.

Worlds Best XI

1. Hayden (Aus)
2. Smith (SA)
3. Ponting (Aus)
4. KP (Eng)
5. Tendulkar (Ind)
6. Kallis (SA)
7. Flintoff (Eng)
8. Lee (Aus)
9. Ntini (SA)
10. Bracken (Aus)
11. Murali (SL)

Kallis selected over Gayle and Butt as they are openers and there were 2, possibly 3, higher ranked openers than them.

Worlds Worst XI

1. Mubarak (SL)
2. Marshall (WI)
3. Devon Smith (WI)
4. Bopara (Eng)
5. Ontong (SA)
6. Afridi (Pak)
7. Baugh (WI)
8. Botha (SA)
9. Rawl Lewis (WI)
10. Rampaul (WI)
11. Gillespie (NZ)

Cam White not included as he didnt bat high enough for Aus to qualify as a batsman and didnt bowl enough overs to be classed as an allrounder.

Conclusion
The earth shattering realisation that Aus are good and WI suck :-O
Tendulkar at No.5? He is the opener! Remove Smith (Minnow basher) and put in a wk as Dhoni and the side looks excellent.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Fair enough I suppose.
To be honest there are few candidates that batted enough and bowled enough at a very ordinary standard to qualify.

Usually at least one skill was decent.

Closest competition was from Watson.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be honest there are few candidates that batted enough and bowled enough at a very ordinary standard to qualify.

Usually at least one skill was decent.

Closest competition was from Watson.
You do realise you have no wicket keeper?

EDIT: beaten.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar at No.5? He is the opener! Remove Smith (Minnow basher) and put in a wk as Dhoni and the side looks excellent.
:shy: opps.

Changes made but Dhoni for Kallis as Kallis is quite a bit lower ranked than Smith and Flintoff is the main allrounder. Tendulkar is good enough to bat 5 and has done on many occasions.

jondavluc

State Regular
I guess we aren't including bangladesh is it because everyone except Shakib Al Hasan would most likely worst get in the 11?.:laugh:

Oh Mark Gillespie you really are bad.:laugh:

Precambrian

Banned
:shy: opps.

Changes made but Dhoni for Kallis as Kallis is quite a bit lower ranked than Smith and Flintoff is the main allrounder. Tendulkar is good enough to bat 5 and has done on many occasions.
Many occassions? Not since he passed the teenage, he has batted at No.5. He has a bad record at No.5.

Kallis is value than Smith imho.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Kallis is value than Smith imho.
Maybe, but it is based on the rankings and Smith is 3rd and Kallis is 8th. Butt and Gayle are also ranked ahead of Kallis.

I keep looking at the teams and I love the Worlds Best XI (what isnt there to love?) and I really want to see that game. It would be carnage. :)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Athlai's Best and Worst in the 2000's

Best

ML Hayden
SR Tendulkar
RT Ponting
Mohammad Yousuf
A Symonds
MS Dhoni (wk)
A Flintoff
B Lee
SE Bond
M Muralitharan
GD McGrath

Worst

Mohammad Hafeez (Pak)
Imran Nazir (Pak)
MS Sinclair (NZ)
HJH Marshall (NZ)
M Kaif (Ind)
CZ Harris (NZ) (c)
CS Baugh (WI) (wk)
Azhar Mahmood (Pak)
L Balaji (Ind)
Sajid Mahmood (Eng)
CE Cuffy (WI)

That second team makes my eyes bleed. Good ol' Harris the best worst allrounder in the world.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Athlai's Best and Worst in the 2000's

Best

ML Hayden
SR Tendulkar
RT Ponting
Mohammad Yousuf
A Symonds
MS Dhoni (wk)
A Flintoff
B Lee
SE Bond
M Muralitharan
GD McGrath
:-O Glaring omission, do we have another ginger-hater on our hands?

Precambrian

Banned
The only remaining jarring note with Goughy's side is Tendulkar coming at No.5, after Ponting and Petersen. I noticed in another thread you ranked Tendulkar as No.1. And certainly you'd want your best batsmen to bat max overs and its plausible since he is a regular opener.