• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The captain's conundrum

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In January Ricky Ponting's team was heavily criticised for their "win at all costs" mentality in the Sydney Test. Recently, the captain was vilified for putting compliance with a playing condition ahead of his side's chances of winning. The media and cricketing public cannot have it both ways.

http://www.cricketweb.net/blog/features/67.php

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Good article.

But I disagree they want it both ways. It's fair to criticize Ponting for putting himself before the team. It's kind of odd to say it has affected Ponting to 'reform' his behavior when by all accounts, there was lots of sledging going on this game too - which was the thrust of argument against Ponting at Sydney gate. So it's not like he has fixed the problem he was accused of (assuming you think its a problem of course).

This time, there are two choices for this debacle:
  1. He cares about the spirit of the game./He has an obligation to the paying fans.
    Load of rubbish because he would never have let himself get that behind in the first place.
    And because any fan would rather see 6 overs of Watto or whoever was bowling well over Hussey and Clarke
  2. He didn't want to get banned.
    Then he is a selfish bastard who put himself before the team and deserves what he got.

I don't see another option.

If he had gone on and bowled India out, or was behind on over rates, he would have been criticized for not bowling the overs. And that's not hypocrisy - it's fair enough. If you don't want the criticism - don't fall behind!

Top_Cat

Good article.

But I disagree they want it both ways. It's fair to criticize Ponting for putting himself before the team. It's kind of odd to say it has affected Ponting to 'reform' his behavior when by all accounts, there was lots of sledging going on this game too - which was the thrust of argument against Ponting at Sydney gate. So it's not like he has fixed the problem he was accused of (assuming you think its a problem of course).

This time, there are two choices for this debacle:
  1. He cares about the spirit of the game./He has an obligation to the paying fans.
    Load of rubbish because he would never have let himself get that behind in the first place.
    And because any fan would rather see 6 overs of Watto or whoever was bowling well over Hussey and Clarke
  2. He didn't want to get banned.
    Then he is a selfish bastard who put himself before the team and deserves what he got.

I don't see another option.

If he had gone on and bowled India out, or was behind on over rates, he would have been criticized for not bowling the overs. And that's not hypocrisy - it's fair enough. If you don't want the criticism - don't fall behind!
Over-rates is a whole-team responsibility, though. Pinning it entirety on the captain is rough. The captain leads the way, for sure, but he can't literally force the bowlers to run back to their mark.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Over-rates is a whole-team responsibility, though. Pinning it entirety on the captain is rough.
In the end, he is still responsible for it, as the captain. And the fact that he does directly play a large role in it. But as captain, its his job to get his players moving.

Top_Cat

In the end, he is still responsible for it, as the captain. And the fact that he does directly play a large role in it. But as captain, its his job to get his players moving.
Yes but not entirely to blame if over-rates dip, is what I'm saying. No doubt he should be leading the way, though.

Mind you, Ponting mid-wicket conference-a-thons do more to slow the over-rate than anything else, I reckon.

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
Yes but not entirely to blame if over-rates dip, is what I'm saying. No doubt he should be leading the way, though.

Mind you, Ponting mid-wicket conference-a-thons do more to slow the over-rate than anything else, I reckon.
And changing the field after every two bowls bowled.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
In January Ricky Ponting's team was heavily criticised for their "win at all costs" mentality in the Sydney Test. Recently, the captain was vilified for putting compliance with a playing condition ahead of his side's chances of winning. The media and cricketing public cannot have it both ways.

Very good article and I agree completely with the sentiment. Australian dominance is ending mainly because of the retirement of their greats like Warne and Mcgrath and it seems that Ponting's Leadership is being questioned, unfairly, no matter what.

I hope history doesn't blame his leadership for Australian slump in next few years, which is almost inevitable.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Odd that he only tried to fix the over-rate problem when his suspension was on the line though. If his actions were because of Ricky having a responsibility to play within the rules, why didn't he do it in the earlier tests?

jondavluc

State Regular
Odd that he only tried to fix the over-rate problem when his suspension was on the line though. If his actions were because of Ricky having a responsibility to play within the rules, why didn't he do it in the earlier tests?
Are you kidding me???? He is always getting in the part timers because of the slow overates.

Look the man derseves the job he is currently the most successful captain.Yes I know warne and mcgrath were in the team before but so did waugh and so did mark taylor.

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
Are you kidding me???? He is always getting in the part timers because of the slow overates.

Look the man derseves the job he is currently the most successful captain.Yes I know warne and mcgrath were in the team before but so did waugh and so did mark taylor.
But he was always falling short of over rate despite his use of parttimers.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

a) Just because Cameron White has the bowling talent of a part-timer doesn't mean he was being used as one. Ponting bowled him because he had no other spin options in the first 3 tests. Hence he was used as the #1 spin option.
b) You have to bowl your 'part timers' and 'other options' when your main strike bowler, Brett Lee, is getting smashed all around the park.
c) Where did I ever say he should be sacked? I just reckon its completely bull to suggest he bowled Hussey in the 4th test as some honourable move to ensure the rules of the game were followed. My arse, he didn't want to be suspended.
d) If he was 'always' getting in the part timers, why the hell was he behind in the overrates every single frickin' test.

jondavluc

State Regular
c) Where did I ever say he should be sacked? I just reckon its completely bull to suggest he bowled Hussey in the 4th test as some honourable move to ensure the rules of the game were followed. My arse, he didn't want to be suspended.
Look of course he didn't want to be suspended he needed to be there while the youngsters are in training and clarke isn't really ready to be captain.He and mattew hayden are the main seniors in the side they need to be there while there inexpirenced side is still that inexpirenced.It wasn't seflish from what I sore he knows that he is counted on to be in the side.

d) If he was 'always' getting in the part timers, why the hell was he behind in the overrates every single frickin' test.
Because his slow and the team is slow I have no problem with that critisim to a degree but I think everyone is being critical of a captain with such a great record .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

didn't seem to bother him in the earlier games when he never got in the required overs within time... Suddenly, when there was a threat of a ban looming large, he got concerned about playing in the "spirit of the game".. Don't buy it one bit.

Nice try, Punter... :)

jondavluc

State Regular
didn't seem to bother him in the earlier games when he never got in the required overs within time... Suddenly, when there was a threat of a ban looming large, he got concerned about playing in the "spirit of the game".. Don't buy it one bit.

I wouldn't buy your crap attitude ethier.Look His overates wasn't that much of a concern was it if he didn't get a match fee in the three previous games he must of done enough.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
jondavluc - if you're going to respond aggressively to every snide remark made about Ponting around here, you'll a) have a crap time, and b) be in trouble with the mods pretty fast.

It's simpler to simply accept that to a large proportion of people outside Australia Ponting is forever marked as a stupid jerk, and nothing he ever does, and certainly nothing anyone here ever says will cause a reevaluation of that position. Any incidents involving him will be viewed through that prism. It's as foolish a position as saying that everything he does is wonderful and that his fecal matter doesn't have an unpleasant odour, but there's not much that can be done about it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
AWTA

It's simpler to simply accept that to a large proportion of people outside Australia Ponting is forever marked as a stupid jerk, and nothing he ever does,
Well, not acting like a stupid jerk would be a start. :D Has proven a bit difficult for him so far though.

Burgey

But it did.

Hence his altercation with Lee in Mohali, and his bowling Symonds and Clarke in Perth this year.

jondavluc

State Regular
jondavluc - if you're going to respond aggressively to every snide remark made about Ponting around here, you'll a) have a crap time, and b) be in trouble with the mods pretty fast.

It's simpler to simply accept that to a large proportion of people outside Australia Ponting is forever marked as a stupid jerk, and nothing he ever does, and certainly nothing anyone here ever says will cause a reevaluation of that position. Any incidents involving him will be viewed through that prism. It's as foolish a position as saying that everything he does is wonderful and that his fecal matter doesn't have an unpleasant odour, but there's not much that can be done about it.
Matt79-I could say a few words about Sachin too but it would be based on cynicism and most would disagree.So far all the critism from Ricky has being what he didn't say or do or twisting his words or actions to suit them and I won't tolerate it from anyone.

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
Matt79-I could say a few words about Sachin too but it would be based on cynicism and most would disagree.So far all the critism from Ricky has being what he didn't say or do or twisting his words or actions to suit them and I won't tolerate it from anyone.
Yet another Sachin-for-Ponting stuff. Get a life kid.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

To be honest, I don't see why in this instance people should be criticized for being wary about the reasons he bowled the part-timers.. Like it or not, I think what he did and when he did has left him wide wide open for criticism and if he and his fans cannot get that, they are just being foolish.