• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia v New Zealand not in HD on Sky NZ

blackspider08

Cricket Spectator
Just found out that Australia vs NZ wont be in HD on Sky in New Zealand this is what Sky had to say:
Channel 9 only has a standard definition link to Globecast, the international fibre linking infrastructure that we use.

The HD feed transmitted from the venue back to Channel 9 is a satellite feed which we are unable to access, hence the SD transmission.
What a disgrace, it is in HD in Australia how come Sky cant get it in HD in New Zealand!

Polo23

International Debutant
Because SKY is ****ing useless. They do stupid crap like this all the time, people pay through their teeth to watch the cricket, and we generally get ****ing rubbish coverage.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because SKY is ****ing useless. They do stupid crap like this all the time, people pay through their teeth to watch the cricket, and we generally get ****ing rubbish coverage.
Yup one word " Monopoly" enough said

_Ed_

Apparently it does, but I wouldn't know. We bought it, and it wasn't until they came and installed it that they mentioned that it wasn't compatible with our TV so we can't get the HDness. Typical.

Polo23

International Debutant
Does HD even make much of a difference? I don't think I've ever seen it.
HD is fantastic. It makes watching normal TV look like Oprah taking a crap.

What good is an HD TV when the TV company doesnt even let you watch stuff in HD? Typical SKY.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
HD is fantastic. It makes watching normal TV look like Oprah taking a crap.

What good is an HD TV when the TV company doesnt even let you watch stuff in HD? Typical SKY.
Disagree. HD have to say barely makes a difference. You can usually notice the quality is better but the difference is minimal and when watching some shows you can barely notice the difference between HD and normal TV.

Having said that I do think its slack of Sky not to include HD as its the kind of service you would expect from having to pay to watch the cricket, whether it actually makes a huge difference or not.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not specifically up on the play of what is involved with feeding coverage through (our major issue at the moment is dealing with the switch to widescreen) but Sky's excuse seems more than fair enough to me. Sky can only rely on what they're provided with by the host broadcaster in Australia - if the series was in NZ, then fair enough, perhaps they'd provide HD coverage, but they're essentially hamstrung with what they're given.

Polo23

International Debutant
Disagree. HD have to say barely makes a difference. You can usually notice the quality is better but the difference is minimal and when watching some shows you can barely notice the difference between HD and normal TV.

Having said that I do think its slack of Sky not to include HD as its the kind of service you would expect from having to pay to watch the cricket, whether it actually makes a huge difference or not.
What I said was perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, but still, for the money sky costs, you would expect the best.

pskov

International 12th Man
That's a shame to say the least. Sport in HD is great, and yes it really does make a noticeable difference in opinion.

bryce

International Regular
Apparently it does, but I wouldn't know. We bought it, and it wasn't until they came and installed it that they mentioned that it wasn't compatible with our TV so we can't get the HDness. Typical.
What an abomination

_Ed_

Turns out it's not HD in Australia either, apparently the HD cameras got smashed by the weather overnight.

blackspider08

Cricket Spectator
its in HD now in New Zealand:)

Looks so F*** awesome, so crystal clear. You can actually see the ball marks on the pitch from the above shot. You can see the green grass and each individual blade on the the sides of the pitch.