• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling Speed

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
Please can someone tell me how I can find a bowler's bowling speed? Essentially, I want to know who, on average, bowls faster . . . Kallis or Flintoff?

krkode

State Captain
Don't have any numbers behind this but I think Flintoff is generally faster than Kallis based on what I remember from the SA tour of England this past summer.

I think Flintoff was averaging about 86-90 mph and Kallis was doing 80-84 mph.

Flintoff is also classified as "fast" by cricinfo whereas Kallis is "fast medium" for what it's worth. :p

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Please can someone tell me how I can find a bowler's bowling speed? Essentially, I want to know who, on average, bowls faster . . . Kallis or Flintoff?
As far as I know, bowling speeds cannot be found over the internet. However, take it from an avid follower of bowling speeds that Flintoff has the edge over Kallis in both Tests, ODIs and T20s as far as bowling speeds go.

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
Thank you both.
I did google it but didn't come up with much.

On another forum, I was asking why Flintoff couldn't bat at 4 and another poster wrote that he couldn't be expected to thunder in bowling AND bat at 4 and I replied that kallis manages it. He then said, "Kallis bats and bowls SLOW. Don't think Kallis is a major part of the S African test attack." Would've been nice to have some facts and figures to say that there isn't much difference between them.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
His bowling is certainly not slow. Kallis has back problems, but he has been able to get up to 140kph in many cases. Certainly not slow. Flintoff's average is usually higher.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah that post about Kallis' bowling speed is kinda nonsensical, but there's no large-scale database that clocks the speed of every delivery ever recorded by a bowler along the lines of the many databases that contain cricket scorecards.

At least, not unless I'm very much mistaken.

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
That's a pity and thanks for your help.

Is it fair to say then that Kallis has often bowled up to 140kph?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Perhaps not often, but suffice to say he has always been able to and still can bowl the odd ball there when he really tries.

krkode

State Captain
Kallis is definitely a strong guy who is capable of thundering in at high speeds. But one thing I think they had right on this other forum of yours was that Kallis hasn't really been an integral part of the South African bowling lineup. I don't mean to diminish his all-rounder status as he is certainly the most accomplished batting all-rounder since the days of Sir Garfield Sobers, but his bowling has, for the most part, been a bonus compared to Flintoff, who is quite often England's top bowler.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Kallis is definitely a strong guy who is capable of thundering in at high speeds. But one thing I think they had right on this other forum of yours was that Kallis hasn't really been an integral part of the South African bowling lineup. I don't mean to diminish his all-rounder status as he is certainly the most accomplished batting all-rounder since the days of Sir Garfield Sobers, but his bowling has, for the most part, been a bonus compared to Flintoff, who is quite often England's top bowler.
Yeah, I agree with this. Kallis is, and has been, capable of hitting good speeds but his bowling plays a secondary role to his batting.

That is probably a compliment to his batting rather than disrespectful to his bowling.

He doesnt bowl as much as he could as he believes it can effect his batting and that his batting is more important to SA than his bowling. Which, to be fair, is clearly true.

rooey123

Banned
i tell you one thing

you think shuan tait is fast on tv? try standing directly behind the nets when he was in practice i almost **** myself. if only he could be more accurate more often im sure a lot more batsman are gonna piss their pants, not that they already dont already.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think most people are aware that Tait is extremely fast, and that if he could ally this with his natural shape combined with a greater degree of accuracy and keeping a full length he'd be utterly deadly and would shatter stumps with considerable regularity.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Love going to practice and watching the test players ply their trade from about 2 metres away. It's fantastic.

Precambrian

Banned
you think shuan tait is fast on tv? try standing directly behind the nets when he was in practice i almost **** myself. if only he could be more accurate more often im sure a lot more batsman are gonna piss their pants, not that they already dont already.
He needs to get his focus right and not get owerawed at the big stage, namely test cricket. In ODIs, he is becoming the next Bond, absolutely deadly.

Precambrian

Banned
As for the initial discussion, I agree with what the above posts,

1. Kallis is in the team more as a batsman who can occassionally bowl. Flintoff is primarily in for his bowling prowess than batting.

2. Kallis speeds from what I watched ranges from 130-135 kph, though he sends down the rare 140 kph thing. Flintoff on the other hand, consistently bowls above 140 kph.

3. In terms of calories burnt per delivery, I don't think there are many bowlers who can rival the effort that Flintoff puts into every ball.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Thank you both.
I did google it but didn't come up with much.

On another forum, I was asking why Flintoff couldn't bat at 4 and another poster wrote that he couldn't be expected to thunder in bowling AND bat at 4 and I replied that kallis manages it. He then said, "Kallis bats and bowls SLOW. Don't think Kallis is a major part of the S African test attack." Would've been nice to have some facts and figures to say that there isn't much difference between them.
Kallis is good as gone as a sppedster. He's now around 125-135k category. But there was a time he was only second to Donald in SAF team. In 1999 WC he sent one at 148k, and was 140k+ in following SL tour. Flintoff at his best is also 145-150k IMO, but he's now in his peak, so he's obviously faster than Kallis, who's on wane. But on their pomp, I pick Kallis to be quicker than Flintoff with the ball. With the bat, we know, it's a no brainer.

Polo23

International Debutant
He is certainly on the road to become a great ODI bowler. His records in the World cup and the succeeding LoIs are proof of that.
One good series doesnt make a bowler mate, plus he did play sides such as Ireland and the Netherlands. To compare him with Bond is laughable.

Jakester1288

International Regular
They **** themselves because he is so all over the place, they never know where the next ball is going. If he became a solid lone and length bowler, he would not get half as many wickets in the shorter formats, and not strike fear into the hearts of even the best, most confident batsmen.