Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: English Wicketkeepers

  1. #1
    First Class Debutant IndGunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    827

    English Wicketkeepers

    Is finding a good one as hard as finding a tasmanian tiger?

    No in all honesty i'm just curious is Prior the best English keeper going around?

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,234
    Quote Originally Posted by IndGunner View Post
    Is finding a good one as hard as finding a tasmanian tiger?

    No in all honesty i'm just curious is Prior the best English keeper going around?
    Not the best keeper, not the best OD keeper/batsman but probably the best batsman in FC and Test cricket of available candidates.

    Part of the problem is that there are too many options. Noone can agree on who the right guy is and that doesnt help with continuity of selection or agreement on the best route.

    There are at least 5 different names that people could throw out there.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  3. #3
    State Vice-Captain gettingbetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Down By The River
    Posts
    1,460
    Other problem is that people want the whole package.

    For England, the problem is that they are trying to find an Aussie keeper and Australia are trying to find an English all-rounder. No one is satisfied with the keeper who bats at no. 7 and averages >30.

  4. #4
    First Class Debutant IndGunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Not the best keeper, not the best OD keeper/batsman but probably the best batsman in FC and Test cricket of available candidates.

    Part of the problem is that there are too many options. Noone can agree on who the right guy is and that doesnt help with continuity of selection or agreement on the best route.

    There are at least 5 different names that people could throw out there.
    I guess its just the state of the world that all keepers are now picked primarily on their batting and secondly on keeping look at akmal and even to an extent dhoni.


  5. #5
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Not sure about that comparison, Dhoni is a pretty damn decent wicketkeeper and Kamran Akmal is, well, woeful.

    As to who the best English wicketkeeper-batsman is, well, the truth is since Alec Stewart (who was always the best batsman of those who could keep and always either the best or second-best wicketkeeper of those whose batting was of any note) there's been no obvious answer. That applies today as much as ever.

    I still hope in time Steven Davies will fill the void, but that's still a little way away yet, though hopefully not that long.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  6. #6
    First Class Debutant IndGunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Not sure about that comparison, Dhoni is a pretty damn decent wicketkeeper and Kamran Akmal is, well, woeful.

    As to who the best English wicketkeeper-batsman is, well, the truth is since Alec Stewart (who was always the best batsman of those who could keep and always either the best or second-best wicketkeeper of those whose batting was of any note) there's been no obvious answer. That applies today as much as ever.

    I still hope in time Steven Davies will fill the void, but that's still a little way away yet, though hopefully not that long.
    Well when Dhoni began his career he was not the best gloveman, he was chosen only on his batting and even then he got lucky cuz the number one choice and number 2 choice for india had someproblem or the other. back then no.1 was parthiv patel no.2 was karthik.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by IndGunner View Post
    Well when Dhoni began his career he was not the best gloveman, he was chosen only on his batting and even then he got lucky cuz the number one choice and number 2 choice for india had someproblem or the other. back then no.1 was parthiv patel no.2 was karthik.
    No more, Dhoni's the best wk and best bat than the others. It gives me shivers to think abt the situation where he's god forbid injured.

    What happened to Phil Mustard? I thought he was an attacking cricketer?

  8. #8
    First Class Debutant IndGunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    827
    Yea for mine i actually thought england had a nice crop of wickies coming up the rank after stewart and that other guy playing icl i forget or is that alec stewart??? damn im lost.

    Does geriant still play?
    Last edited by IndGunner; 17-11-2008 at 05:39 AM.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    No more, Dhoni's the best wk and best bat than the others. It gives me shivers to think abt the situation where he's god forbid injured.

    What happened to Phil Mustard? I thought he was an attacking cricketer?
    My uncle's an attacking cricketer as well. I don't see how it's relevant.

    Mustard's arguably better than Prior as an ODI batsman/keeper, particularly opening, but the fact that he's an attacking cricketer was a strange thing to bring up. He's pretty ordinary regardless.

    On Prior, he's quite a good First Class batsman - he's batted very well at times in his short Test career so far too. He's never been much chop in one day cricket as a batsman at all though, and his wicket keeping really isn't Test standard.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.


  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    My uncle's an attacking cricketer as well. I don't see how it's relevant.

    Mustard's arguably better than Prior as an ODI batsman/keeper, particularly opening, but the fact that he's an attacking cricketer was a strange thing to bring up. He's pretty ordinary regardless.

    On Prior, he's quite a good First Class batsman - he's batted very well at times in his short Test career so far too. He's never been much chop in one day cricket as a batsman at all though, and his wicket keeping really isn't Test standard.
    Hmm.. that post still left me wondering, Is Mustard a better keeper than Prior in ODIs atleast?

  11. #11
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    Hmm.. that post still left me wondering, Is Mustard a better keeper than Prior in ODIs atleast?
    His wicket keeping is of a slightly higher standard. Harder to tell with his batting. He's certainly more likely to score quickly than Prior if he gets to 40 odd but whether he'd actually average more than 20 odd opening over a long period is up for debate, especially considering the fact that he had a poor 2008 season domestically. As far as Test cricket goes, though, Mustard shouldn't be in the frame at all - his batting in the longer form is poor and he's not a particularly good keeper either.

    Prior's clearly the best First Class batsman of those who keep in CC, but his keeping isn't really up to it. Ambrose actually looked pretty good to me but he really started to struggle against South Africa, especially with the bat. Foster would be in the frame as well but I don't really know a lot about him.

  12. #12
    International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,065
    I've heard good things about Steven Davies, although I've never seen him play. His first class statistics don't seem to bad either. I know Richard rates him somewhat, what about some of the other English fans. Is Davies the man to take over from Prior or are there other options out there such as Mustard and Ambrose?
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)


    "Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

    Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

  13. #13
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2,040
    Chris Read should have been given the gig. He was fantastic with the gloves, and he is handy with the bat. I would have thought he would have been a better option than others who seem decent with the bat (Prior, Jones to an extent) but completely rubbish with the gloves...and even then, Read probably would have done better than Jones with the bat anyway.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Sssshhhh.. I see El.

  15. #15
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Remembering The Prince - 63*
    Posts
    49,417
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I've heard good things about Steven Davies, although I've never seen him play. His first class statistics don't seem to bad either. I know Richard rates him somewhat, what about some of the other English fans. Is Davies the man to take over from Prior or are there other options out there such as Mustard and Ambrose?
    Have only seen him bat a few times but he's impressed me, in one-day games obviously. Seem to remember him sending the ball all over the place in a late-season pro40 game that I watched, and looked in good nick a few other times. I'd never recommend a player for international selection based on a couple of random TV domestic games, personally, but his stats do seem to back him up as well.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. how come wicketkeepers average so low?
    By dass in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25-02-2007, 01:53 PM
  2. Batting Wicketkeepers
    By luffy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 25-02-2007, 01:50 PM
  3. Wicketkeepers Without Gloves
    By Slats4ever in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 03:38 PM
  4. Wicketkeepers.
    By Graham in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-09-2002, 03:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •