• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steyn vs. Lee in Aus. Predictions

ManWatKen

Cricket Spectator
Just want to know who do you think will do better between the two ?? Steyn (37.4 b/w) is in good form and 2nd. on the All Time List for strikers (min. 2000 balls bowled), Lee (52.7 b/w) in not so good form in 51st spot.

My Prediction (3 Tests in Aus.)
Steyn: 14 @ 27-30
Lee: 12 @ 30-33

Can't wait for the Steyn/M Morkel vs. Lee/Johnson contest :cool:

jondavluc

State Regular
Just want to know who do you think will do better between the two ?? Steyn (37.4 b/w) is in good form and 2nd. on the All Time List for strikers (min. 2000 balls bowled), Lee (52.7 b/w) in not so good form in 51st spot.

My Prediction (3 Tests in Aus.)
Steyn: 14 @ 27-30
Lee: 12 @ 30-33

Can't wait for the Steyn/M Morkel vs. Lee/Johnson contest :cool:
Brett lee i think is better than steyn since a good amount of wickets have come against weak sides like new zealand,pakistan,west indies and bangladesh.

Johnson is not great just yet but is still better than morkel.

grapedo

Banned
Brett lee i think is better than steyn since a good amount of wickets have come against weak sides like new zealand,pakistan,west indies and bangladesh.

I disagree when you play the weaker sides you still have to bowl well. Steyn has bowled well against them and that conributes to his good average. But that takes nothing away from his bowling in India and Pakistan. 2 places where Lee struggles

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Think Lee will do better as Steyn's type of bowling isn't as well suited to Australian wickets (Pitch it full and fast and get the ball to swing). That said reckon he'll still be fairly successful as he's a good enough bowler to adapt to the new conditions and get a least 8 wickets or so

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Before the India series I'd have backed Lee to take more wickets hands down, but he had a very ordinary time of things, especially given the standards he'd set over the last 18 months or so.

Could be close.

Polo23

International Debutant
Would have backed Steyn to do better regardless of what happened in India, he is simply the better bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think Lee will do better as Steyn's type of bowling isn't as well suited to Australian wickets (Pitch it full and fast and get the ball to swing).
Hmm, well that's also Lee's modus operandi that makes him most dangerous - when it works, obviously. The Lee of the last year has had better control of length than Steyn over his career though.

If the batting is good, and conditions conform to expectations (ie, nothing much in the pitches for seam, and the ball doesn't swing much) I can see both struggling to bowl wicket-taking deliveries, and obviously then it depends on how good the batting is.

Both Aus and SA have potentially very strong batting units. However, SA have always had a very strong batting unit in series' against Australia and every time in the last 3 it's completely gone to pieces in said series. If such a thing happens again, Lee is likely to be much more successful of the two.

If both batting line-ups play to their capabilities, I can see both bowlers struggling and averaging perhaps in the high-30s. However, even Australia's batting is not infallible so predictions are a dangerous thing.

ManWatKen

Cricket Spectator

Steyn done better against all exept England and Sri Lanka.
Steyn didn't play against Zim. and Aus.

Steyn/Lee head to head against each country
v Bangladesh
Steyn: 14@12.5 and strike every 26.8 balls :cool:
Lee: 8@47.0 and strike every 72.2 balls :unsure:

v India
Steyn: 21@19.8 and strike every 36.9 balls :cool:
Lee: 53@31.9 and strike every 57.1 balls :unsure:

v New Zealand
Steyn: 36@16.6 and strike every 27.6 balls :cool:
Lee: 32@20.8 and strike every 37.7 balls :unsure:

v Pakistan
Steyn: 13@23.7 and strike every 36.6 balls :cool:
Lee: 5@46.8 and strike every 80.2 balls :unsure:

v England
Steyn: 16@44.1 and strike every 68.1 balls :unsure:
Lee: 62@40.6 and strike every 63.2 balls :cool:

v Sri lanka
Steyn: 8@36.5 and strike every 46.3 balls
Lee: 16@17.5 and strike every 35.5 balls

v Zimbabwe
Lee: 6@37.0 and strike every 73.0 balls

As for Johnson and M.Morkel, i don't know what you mean by that statement, according to the stats ( Stats don't tell the whole story, it tells the ONLY story ) Morkel is far better of then Johnson.
Test matches
Johnson: 47@34.8 and strike every 66.5 balls
M.Morkel: 32@32.8 and strike every 53.0 balls

1st Class
Johnon: 128@31.9 and strike every 58.4 balls
M.Morkel: 120@28.5 and strike every 48.2 balls

The only advantage Lee/Johnson will have over Steyn/Morkel is homeadv, otherwise nothing

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think Steyn will fare far better than Lee.. I'm a bit concerned about Morkel, I know we shouldn't read too much into ODI cricket, but he has been truly shocking against Bangladesh..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

v Bangladesh

v India

v New Zealand

v Pakistan

v England

v Sri lanka

v Zimbabwe

As for Johnson and M.Morkel, i don't know what you mean by that statement, according to the stats ( Stats don't tell the whole story, it tells the ONLY story ) Morkel is far better of then Johnson.
Test matches

1st Class

The only advantage Lee/Johnson will have over Steyn/Morkel is homeadv, otherwise nothing
To date, both Johnson and Morne Morkel have been distinctly moderate Test bowlers. Morkel has had his occasional moments, so has Johnson, but the poor has been very poor while the good has been only reasonable in the cases of both bowlers.

As for Lee and Steyn, much of the above figures are irrelevant. Lee has not been the same bowler all career - a million miles from it, in fact. Lee of 2007/08 was unrecogniseable from Lee of 2001-2006/07. The hope is that the Lee that turns-up in the series against SA will be much the same as the one from 2007/08 (whether such a thing happens remains to be seen and is no longer something anyone should simply be expecting out-of-hand after his extremely poor India tour), and certainly it's pretty unlikely that he'll be as bad as he was 2001-2006/07.

Lee between 2001 and 2006/07 was pretty poor against all opponents (though he was decent in 2005/06). In 2007/08, he was excellent against all three opposition he faced.

Steyn has been much the same bowler since 2005/06 (after being markedly inferior in his initial stint in 2004/05) and his figures since then compared to Lee's in 2007/08 would be the most interesting question.

Steyn and Lee have both come off a poor most recent series (Steyn in England; Lee in India). Lee has another series in the meantime in which to assess him; Steyn doesn't (his only series is against Bangladesh, who obviously almost everyone is expected to do well against and almost invariably does). Just before the start of the series would be a better time to offer an assessment of their likely credentials.

inbox24

International Debutant
To date, both Johnson and Morne Morkel have been distinctly moderate Test bowlers. Morkel has had his occasional moments, so has Johnson, but the poor has been very poor while the good has been only reasonable in the cases of both bowlers.

As for Lee and Steyn, much of the above figures are irrelevant. Lee has not been the same bowler all career - a million miles from it, in fact. Lee of 2007/08 was unrecogniseable from Lee of 2001-2006/07. The hope is that the Lee that turns-up in the series against SA will be much the same as the one from 2007/08 (whether such a thing happens remains to be seen and is no longer something anyone should simply be expecting out-of-hand after his extremely poor India tour), and certainly it's pretty unlikely that he'll be as bad as he was 2001-2006/07.

Lee between 2001 and 2006/07 was pretty poor against all opponents (though he was decent in 2005/06). In 2007/08, he was excellent against all three opposition he faced.

Steyn has been much the same bowler since 2005/06 (after being markedly inferior in his initial stint in 2004/05) and his figures since then compared to Lee's in 2007/08 would be the most interesting question.

Steyn and Lee have both come off a poor most recent series (Steyn in England; Lee in India). Lee has another series in the meantime in which to assess him; Steyn doesn't (his only series is against Bangladesh, who obviously almost everyone is expected to do well against and almost invariably does). Just before the start of the series would be a better time to offer an assessment of their likely credentials.
Very good.

I think Lee will never reached the heights he reached in 2007/08 for the rest of his career, he'll go back to the rubbish he was previously.

jondavluc

State Regular

v Bangladesh

v India

v New Zealand

v Pakistan

v England

v Sri lanka

v Zimbabwe

Test matches

1st Class

Morkel has also a god awful econamy rate too and is barely passable for test cricket. Aleast when johnson is not bowling well the runs are aleast being limited.Morkel when being erratic and bowling badly is costing them more then johnson.Ishant sharma doesn't get as many wickets then morkel but I would rate and I think everyone world say he is much much much better than morkel.Stuart MacGill according to states also says he has a better strike rate than warne would I rate him higher than warne? no I certainly wouldn't .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm...
If the batting is good, and conditions conform to expectations (ie, nothing much in the pitches for seam, and the ball doesn't swing much) I can see both struggling to bowl wicket-taking deliveries, and obviously then it depends on how good the batting is.
Well, it swung, unexpectedly, and Steyn grabbed his chance, Lee didn't.

Handicapped by metatarsal and all I'm sure, but that's one hell of a boon right there.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm...

Well, it swung, unexpectedly, and Steyn grabbed his chance, Lee didn't.

Handicapped by metatarsal and all I'm sure, but that's one hell of a boon right there.
Barely swung, itbt. Gotta give some credit to Steyn for making it do so.

I thought Steyn would do well, but i certainly didn't see Lee's failures with the ball coming. Even during his first spell of the series he banged the ball down on the perfect spot repeatedly for no reward and i still thought it was only a matter of time before he picked up wickets in a bundle. Would love to say it was largely down to injury but i'm not overly convinced that's the reason.