• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar : End of reign in ODIs???

Is Tendulkar's reign in ODIs over??

• Total voters

Precambrian

Banned
We all know Tendulkar's perhaps the best ODI batsman in history (rivalled by King Viv perhaps), and he has played two exceptional match-winning tourney-winning innings in his last 2 outings (In Aus in the CB series final).

However he has not played in the colored kits since then. And India's ODI team has now found a solid opening partnership in Gambhir and Sehwag. The middle order too is solidified by Dhoni, Yuvraj, Raina and Sharma leaving perhaps only one spot in the lower middle order open.

The question is, is Indian ODI team's dependence on Tendulkar is over? Does Team India have a place for him in the ODI team-sheet? If he has, where he will be accommodated? And for how long the stay will last?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Tendulkar will be around for some time yet, but as has been said, he won't play all the time. If he was fit enough to field, I'd wager he'd be capable of playing ODIs well into his 40s, TBH.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Was today the first Indian ODI in a long time to not feature either of Tendulkar, Ganguly or Dravid?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I must be getting old. I honestly thought the CB series was the last ODI series India played.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah we've gotten belted since then by SL and Pakistan.

Umm, its tricky. Sachin during the CB Series was the only oldie in the team, yet he (along with Praveen Kumar) won us the CB Series.

I'd say let him pick and choose because of how valuable he's been over the last 2 years in this format. Gambhir can always bat 3 when Sachin plays.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You're accomodating for your match-winning batsman though.

Not like we've been going well since he's been out (today's match excluded, and its not like they were exactly challenged)

Precambrian

Banned
You're accomodating for your match-winning batsman though.

Not like we've been going well since he's been out (today's match excluded, and its not like they were exactly challenged)
What abt the SL ODIs? And the Asia Cup? Leave the results, but our batting really have not felt lack of Tendulkar, or is it?

Precambrian

Banned
There is no doubt that Tendulkar can walk in to the ODI side anytime, and his form has been good also.

But, will it disturb the existing core of the team? The current ODI side is binding beautifully as a unit.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. There is always place for Sachin.. You only put him out of the side when HIS form warrants it..

I don't think it disturbs the team too much either... It would simply mean someone like Yousuf Pathan sitting out, which is not bad at all.. Gambhir at 3, Yuvi at 4, then Dhoni, Raina and Rohit... Not a bad batting side.

But I hope he can still bowl in ODIs.. He is more useful in ODIs chipping in with those 4-5 overs... And his fielding has never really been bad. It may not be as good as it was earlier but it is not like he is a Laxman or Dravid or Ganguly out there, is he?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I think it has at times. Whilst we did beat SL 3-2 in that best of 5 series, we lost the final vs. SL in the Asia Cup and Kiptly (or whatver) Cup vs. Pakistan. Pretty mixed bag.
If Sachin wants to play ODIs, his form warrants it doesn't it?
And if he was unable for the CB series finals like these games then i think we probably would have lost those too.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sachin affecting the chemistry in the team is a laughable idea. He's a lock in ODI's side if fit.

jeevan

International 12th Man
There is no doubt that Tendulkar can walk in to the ODI side anytime, and his form has been good also.

But, will it disturb the existing core of the team? The current ODI side is binding beautifully as a unit.
Gambhir's best ODI knocks have been at #3, Yuvraj's at #4 and Dhoni is the set #5 now.
If we go back to the old code of playing 7 batsmen, only Raina is disturbed to #6. In that situation, Sachin along with Sehwag & Yuvraj provide the fifth bowler.

When Sachin doesnt play, Gambhir moves to #2, Raina back to #3 and we get a bowling all-rounder eg either Pathan to #7 (or to an unconventional #3, in which case no one except Gambhir moves. )

pup11

International Coach
I think its a matter of what he wants more than anything else, his performance is still good enough to guarantee him a spot in the Indian ODI side, but he has too look at a few things first a) is his body ready to cope with the stress and demands that come with playing ODI cricket b) does he think he would be around till the next World cup, and if he is positive on both counts then i don't see any reason why he shouldn't continue to play ODI cricket, but otherwise he is much better off concentrating on test cricket rather than playing a few more meaningless ODI games.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i certianly not hope so... it would be a shame if BCCI do to Sachin what they did to Dravid and Ganguly.. specially Gangualy considering that he was a much better batsman in ODI format than test matches..i think he should play as long as he can.. i mean look at sanath.. he is geting better with time..