• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What Is The Present World 11?

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Tests:

Hayden
Vaughan
Ponting
Kallis
Tendulkar
Dravid
Gilchrist (wk)
Pollock (c)
Gillespie
Muralitharan
McGrath

ODIs:

Gilchrist (wk)
Sehwag
Ponting (c)
Tendulkar
Kallis
Sarwan
Bevan
Pollock
Lee
Muralitharan
McGrath

Just my honest opinion - stupidly I would rate England as number 2 or 3 Test side (depending on this series coming up), but only place 1 of them in the World XI!
I like those Team's I would have Gibbs instead of Shewag in ODI's and I would deffinatly have to find a spot for Lara some how. but other than that I agree with your sides.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Lara for Kallis in tests (a side like that doesn't need five bowlers) and Lara for Sarwan in ODIs. Otherwise pretty accurate Marc.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So everybody except me likes Lara I guess!

That said, this must be one of the closest things we've come to agreeing on in the history of Cricketweb!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Taibu for me is probably the best wicketkeeper there is.

However, there's no way I'd take him above Gilchrist in an XI to keep, as Gilchrist can win you matches.

Swanny

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think tests and odis are too different to have the same side. so here goes,
Tests;

1) Hayden
2) Vaughan
3) Ponting
4) Lara
5) Tendulkar
6) Gilchrist(wk)
7) Warne
8) Lee
9) Pollock
10) McGrath
11) Muralitharan

I think the top 3 pick themselves although it was a close one between Vaughan and Gibbs, Vaughans superior runs against the best team in the world swung it.
Lara picks himself, how anyone thats ever seen him make runs can leave him out is a total mystery. Hes number one on my teamsheet everytime.
Bowling wise I've gone for 5 because frankly with that top 6 you can afford 5 bowlers. Also Warne, Lee and pollock can all add handy runs. Perfect line and length from McGrath and Pollock and then Lee can afford to be expendsive blasting them out. Warne is the best spinner ever, and Murali's not far behind

ODI's
1) Gilchrist(wk)
2) Tendulkar
3) Ponting
4) Lara
5) Kallis
6) Bevan
7) Sarwan
8) Pollock
9) Warne
10) Muralitharan
11) McGrath

Kallis gets a game because he can bowl, and Bevan and Sarwan can fill in with the bowling if needed. Hayden is unlucky but i felt Tendulkar did enough in the World cup, although he opens or he doesn't get in the team for me(my team that is not the Indian one). Again bowlers almost pick themselves, (I'm picking Warne because hes back soon and a ban that length was harsh)

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
I thought the thread was for One-Dayers only......thats why I selected Taibu because Gilchrist is an ODI opener and there are better ODI openers around........

N.B: Comment below are for One-Dayers
An important issue is to have balance in the side by having both some fiery pace bowlers and some more econmical ones, also you need a good allrounder and maybe at least two part-timers for cover. As for batting you need a guy like Dravid or Chanderpaul in the middle, you also need ppl who can hit the ball hard to give you an advantage in the last 10 overs or so, and of course the brilliance of guys like Lara, Ponting coupled with openers the class of Tendulkar, Gibbs.....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Swanny said:
I think tests and odis are too different to have the same side. so here goes,
Tests;

1) Hayden
2) Vaughan
3) Ponting
4) Lara
5) Tendulkar
6) Gilchrist(wk)
7) Warne
8) Lee
9) Pollock
10) McGrath
11) Muralitharan

ODI's
1) Gilchrist(wk)
2) Tendulkar
3) Ponting
4) Lara
5) Kallis
6) Bevan
7) Sarwan
8) Pollock
9) Warne
10) Muralitharan
11) McGrath
Shouldn't Lee be in the ODI team instead of the Test team. He's not the best of Test bowlers IMO.

Mr Mxyzptlk

World XI (Test)
M.Vaughan
M.Hayden
R.Ponting
B.Lara
S.Tendulkar
J.Kallis/R.Dravid
A.Gilchrist (wk)
S.Warne
S.Pollock
G.McGrath
M.Muralitharan

Best of the Rest (Test)
V.Sehwag
M.Trescothick
R.Dravid/J.Kallis
Yosuf Youhana
R.Sarwan
S.Chanderpaul
A.Stewart (wk) (he'd still make an AllStar team)
H.Streak (an honest worker)
Harbhajan Singh
S.Bond
J.Gillespie

Dravid and Kallis are interchangeable according to team needs.

World XI (ODI)
S.Jayasuriya
S.Tendulkar
R.Ponting
B.Lara
R.Dravid (wk)
M.Bevan
S.Pollock
S.Warne
S.Mushtaq
M.Muralitharan
G.McGrath

Possibly another bat instead of either Warney or Saqqy, but I couldn't be bothered to think of one right now.

Best of the Rest (ODI)
V.Sehwag
C.Gayle/M.Trescothick
A.Gilchrist (wk)
Yosuf Youhana
M.Atapattu
D.Martyn
R.Sarwan
C.Vaas/V.Drakes ;):D
D.Vettori
S.Bond
J.Anderson

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
So everybody except me likes Lara I guess!

That said, this must be one of the closest things we've come to agreeing on in the history of Cricketweb!
I dont rate Lara nearly highly enough for him to be in my world XI.... Not a fan...

Who needs Lara when theres Ponting?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
I dont rate Lara nearly highly enough for him to be in my world XI.... Not a fan...
Hmm.. any reasons to base this one on?

My Test 3-4 would be Ponting-Lara with no competition.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
:O What??? Even if you don't like him, surely you can recognize a great player.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
:O What??? Even if you don't like him, surely you can recognize a great player.
Yeah of course, anyone with the highest tests and first class highest scores has got to be awesome, but some guys have just taken batting to new heights, while Laras career has stuttered since those awesome couple of years....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
Yeah of course, anyone with the highest tests and first class highest scores has got to be awesome, but some guys have just taken batting to new heights, while Laras career has stuttered since those awesome couple of years....
Keep in mind as well that a player like Ponting has not played as long as Lara and has better support. For years it has been, Lara fails - team fails, whereas there really hasn't been anywhere near that kind of pressure on alot of the other batsmen around the world.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Keep in mind as well that a player like Ponting has not played as long as Lara and has better support. For years it has been, Lara fails - team fails, whereas there really hasn't been anywhere near that kind of pressure on alot of the other batsment around the world.
Hit the nail fairly and squarely on the head. Pressure. Lara has (to a certain extent) carried the side from a batting perspective for so many years.