• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What Is The Present World 11?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
maybe because he is exedingly booring?
It's Exceedingly and Boring and to be fair, although he's too defensive at times (like when he was on for a double ton against Zimbabwe and kept on blocking bad balls) you cannot argue with his class or his talent. Though it's good to have a grafter in a team, it's best to just have one that others play around, so it's either Kallis or Dravid for me, Kallis gets it cause he can bowl.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
He must really have an attitude problem towards other players, I also heard he's made minimal attempt to control his weight because you can't just leave out a damn good batsman like him without some really major reason.
I saw pics of him at the World Cup, he looked nowhere near overweight, I thought I was looking at someone else! Unfortunately like a twisted version of Greek Mythology, when he looses weight he looses his strength which is batting :lol:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I also like Kenny's side - with one exception. At the moment (2003 form), I would bring in Vaas at the expense of Pollock. Mind you, if he doesn't translate his ODI form into test wickets against the West Indies, I'd blood a youngster (Anderson probably).

Yes, I know it's a bit naughty doing that because we're picking a world XI on current form/ability, but to have the opportunity to play in a side like that would bring him on just in time for 2005. :P

Eclipse

International Debutant
yeah well I never said he did not deserve a spot in a World 11 I was just answering why some people dont like him. or are not exactly thrilled by the prospect of watching him bat.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
My World XI:

1-S.Tendulkar
2-H.Gibbs
3-B.Lara
4.R.Ponting
5-R.Dravid
6-J.Kallis
7-T.Taibu
8-S.Pollock
9-M.Sami
10-M.Muralitharan
11-G.McGrath

*Openers:
-No Mathew Hayden; gets out a lot to unnecessary strokes.
-Adam Gilchrist: see wcktkeeper
-M.Vaughan: Gibbs is a better fielder.....this had nothing to do with the fact that Gibbs shaves his head and Vaughan doesn't.....
-Tresco: better than Gibbs IMO, but not in form
-S.Jayasuriya: see both Hayden and Tresco......
-W.Hinds: not consistent enough

*Middle:
-Engine room: B.Lara and R.Ponting....nuff said
-Emergency room: R.Dravid and J.Kallis
-Hit-out room: J.Kallis can be pretty forceful, S.Pollock

*WcktKeeper:
-Adam Gilchrist: T.Taibu is a better keeper, opener spot guaranteed by Tendulkar and Gibbs.
-Alec Stewart : is 40!

*Seam bowlers:
McGrath : Tight bowling.
Pace: S.Akhtar and B.Lee are inconsistent......Sami is promising and quick and probably more accurate......Bond is injured
Spin: Muralitharan : because he is Muralitharan
Bowler who can bat and bowl well: S.Pollock

I can see quite a few holes in this selection already.....

*Reserves:
A.Symonds
R.Powell (can't resist)
A.Bichel
H.Singh

P.S:
I tried to keep as subjective as I can......if i didn't M.Waugh, Agarkar, R.Powell, Hayward, R.Carlos and Agassi would've made it !:D :D

Kenny

U19 Debutant
R_Powell_fan said:
My
*Openers:
-No Mathew Hayden; gets out a lot to unnecessary strokes.
Yeah Hayden does get out to a lot of unneccesary strokes - and averages around 53 in tests...........

P.S. Taibu in for Gilchrist?? :lol: :lol: :O

Langeveldt

Soutie
Im sure Gilchrist and Boucher are far more worthy of a place than Taibu...

I think he is a good talent, and worthy of his spot, but incredibly over rated by a number of people

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Taibu could become brilliant. He's brave, has amazing reactions behind the sticks and is a neat and tidy batsman.

I've been looking for a keeper who could hold any sort of a candle to Bob Taylor or Alan Knott over the last 25 years and so far no-one has got even close - not even 'Jack' Russell.

Taibu's nowhere near either, of course, but at 20 he has age on his side and most of the necessary attributes. His height is a major problem, though. He will concede byes on occasion - especially on bouncy wickets.

One to watch, though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tests:

Hayden
Vaughan
Ponting
Kallis
Tendulkar
Dravid
Gilchrist (wk)
Pollock (c)
Gillespie
Muralitharan
McGrath

ODIs:

Gilchrist (wk)
Sehwag
Ponting (c)
Tendulkar
Kallis
Sarwan
Bevan
Pollock
Lee
Muralitharan
McGrath

Just my honest opinion - stupidly I would rate England as number 2 or 3 Test side (depending on this series coming up), but only place 1 of them in the World XI!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Tests:

Hayden
Vaughan
Ponting
Kallis
Tendulkar
Dravid
Gilchrist (wk)
Pollock (c)
Gillespie
Muralitharan
McGrath

ODIs:

Gilchrist (wk)
Sehwag
Ponting (c)
Tendulkar
Kallis
Sarwan
Bevan
Pollock
Lee
Muralitharan
McGrath

Just my honest opinion - stupidly I would rate England as number 2 or 3 Test side (depending on this series coming up), but only place 1 of them in the World XI!
What do people have against Lara???

PY

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Taibu could become brilliant. He's brave, has amazing reactions behind the sticks and is a neat and tidy batsman.

I've been looking for a keeper who could hold any sort of a candle to Bob Taylor or Alan Knott over the last 25 years and so far no-one has got even close - not even 'Jack' Russell.

Taibu's nowhere near either, of course, but at 20 he has age on his side and most of the necessary attributes. His height is a major problem, though. He will concede byes on occasion - especially on bouncy wickets.

One to watch, though.
Agreed, I think he has great potential if he stays on the right side of Mugabe :!(

He was only player to provide any resistance during Zimbabwe's first innings.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
luckyeddie said:

One to watch, though.
You must be speaking solely of England 'keepers Eddie - surely Ian Healy can more than hold a candle to Taylor and Knott?

Incidentally, I never liked Knott - he always looked so....untidy.