• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think will replace Ganguly?

Who will replace Ganguly for the first Test against England?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Who will replace Ganguly for the first Test against England? Not who you want, but who you think.

The first Test starts on November 11th. I think I've put down all the main contenders. Or you can vote for someone else. Apparently, the selectors have decided that the spot will go to the most deserving candidate out of the ODI squad.

My choice: I think Raina will get it, though I want someone like Chopra to come into the squad. However, I'd be very happy with Badrinath getting a real and extended run.

Last edited:

irfan

State Captain
It betta be Badrinath. Anyone else would constitute an absolute farce. The GBAFCS will be out in full force if someone like Yuvraj is picked

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
Who will replace Ganguly for the first Test against England? Not who you want, but who you think.

The first Test starts on November 11th. I think I've put down all the main contenders. Or you can vote for someone else. Apparently, the selectors have decided that the spot will go to the most deserving candidate out of the ODI squad.

My choice: I think Raina will get it, though I want someone like Chopra to come into the squad. However, I'd be very happy with Badrinath getting a real and extended run.
Rohit Sharma or Badri. Raina is not the complete player. He's proven himself only on complete roads against weak attacks. He is a complete tool regarding pull and hook, and unlike Ganguly, he keeps on doing mistakes.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I would hope Badrinath does and takes to Tests like a duck to water. Although I have a terrible feeling he'll end up like Mark Ramprakash.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Rohit Sharma or Badri. Raina is not the complete player. He's proven himself only on complete roads against weak attacks. He is a complete tool regarding pull and hook, and unlike Ganguly, he keeps on doing mistakes.
Well, I didn't say who deserves it - I asked who will get it. :p

I'd rather Badrinath come in. I mean, what does it say to other players toiling in Ranji trophy hoping for a call up when a guy like Badrinath constantly get sidelined by unproven youngsters who might have a couple lucky knocks on some U-19 tournament.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hopefully Badrinath, and I reckon it will be him.

Sharma, Raina and Vijay's time will come soon enough.

Precambrian

Banned
Well, I didn't say who deserves it - I asked who will get it. :p

I'd rather Badrinath come in. I mean, what does it say to other players toiling in Ranji trophy hoping for a call up when a guy like Badrinath constantly get sidelined by unproven youngsters who might have a couple lucky knocks on some U-19 tournament.
Absolutely. It will give huge boost to performances in the domestic cricket. And people who feel bad just because they didn't peak when U-19.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
IMO Raina should get it. He has certainly become a better batsman after spending few seasons in domestic cricket. Rohit Sharma needs to spend at least one more season in Ranji trophy to stake a claim for Ganguly's spot.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Sharma would be my first choice, then Badrinath, Chopra, Vijay then finally Singh. I don't know enough about Raina to decide where he is in the pecking order.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The replacement should be an all-rounder. The team needs an all-rounder more than a mere replacement for Ganguly. Those prospects mentioned should be in contention for positions one to five, rather than this irrelevant six/seven position.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Since it is a left hander, one would have said Yuvraj or Raina but as far as the game is concerned I think Rohit is at the head of the queue. Badrinath has not made the best of his chances irrespective of how much the Indian fan favours him at the moment. His chance will come again but not immediately I suspect.

Yuvraj needs to do well in the odi's and more importantly become the pillar in the middle order with such a gap after Sehwag and Gambhir. He is the most experienced batsman in the middle order. He needs to work with the youngsters around him and show he can play a different game. If he does, he will come in to the Test side once again, Then if he fails, its curtains for him.

By the way, Murali Vijay looked very good indeed in that last Test. He could be a big surprise package. Where have they been hiding him ?

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The replacement should be an all-rounder. The team needs an all-rounder more than a mere replacement for Ganguly. Those prospects mentioned should be in contention for positions one to five, rather than this irrelevant six/seven position.
Oh yeah and we should also have two fast bowlers bowling around 155 kmph. Thats a must to reach and remain at the top :dry:

Precambrian

Banned
Since it is a left hander, one would have said Yuvraj or Raina but as far as the game is concerned I think Rohit is at the head of the queue. Badrinath has not made the best of his chances irrespective of how much the Indian fan favours him at the moment. His chance will come again but not immediately I suspect.

Yuvraj needs to do well in the odi's and more importantly become the pillar in the middle order with such a gap after Sehwag and Gambhir. He is the most experienced batsman in the middle order. He needs to work with the youngsters around him and show he can play a different game. If he does, he will come in to the Test side once again, Then if he fails, its curtains for him.

By the way, Murali Vijay looked very good indeed in that last Test. He could be a big surprise package. Where have they been hiding him ?
I don't think Yuvi should earn a place in the test lineup until he has a good FC season. His temperament and skill against the turning ball are circumspect.

As for Vijay, I guess he and fellow TN opener Abhinav Mukund, both were in the reckoning. I think the selectors would have waited one more FC season before taking in Vijay, but the double hundred he made in the opening game fast tracked his way to the Test squad, the Gambhir affair and the Challenger Trophy notwithstanding.

Precambrian

Banned
I agree but I wouldnt include a mediocre allrounder just for the sake of it. I hope Irfan Pathan elevates his bowling a level up, and then he can be considered as a genuine allrounder. Other names are Abhishek Nayar who bats like Klusener, and Yusuf Pathan.

masterblaster

International Captain
Hopefully Badrinath, the man deserves it. As much as people here rate Rohit Sharma, he's not ready yet for mine and needs some more solid games in domestic cricket. Yuvraj Singh should not even be considered and Raina is in the same boat as Sharma.

You would expect that Murali Vijay comes in for Rahul Dravid at number 3 when Dravid decides to call it a day, so that leaves one man and that's Badrinath. It will be interesting to see if the selectors feel this way as well.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It'll be Murali Vijay. He's done no harm to his chances in the one opportunity he's had, he's a terrific fielder and more to the point, he has the incumbency factor going for him. India will play him at 6 despite him being an opener. This team isn't a stickler for sticking to playing roles (as the shuffling of Sehwag, Laxman and Dravid shows). A lot will depend on his performances in the one day series, though. Yuvraj is the dark horse. I'm pretty sure Yuvraj will be given one last shot at home before Rohit Sharma gets an opportunity. I've not seen Badrinath play yet, but I'm not sure he has a stronger case than Rohit. The support for Badrinath on this forum is not reflective of the general thinking in the cricketing fraternity in India.