• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yellow Cards in Cricket

Should Yellow Cards be used in Cricket

• Total voters

ozone

First Class Debutant
The ECB and MCC are to trial Yellow Cards in minor counties and some club level cricket. Although they are going to be used to try and control sledging, was just wondering whether anyone could see them being used for anything else within the game? And what is going to be the punishment for getting a yellow card? Thoughts anyone?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Good to see they are at least trying to do something. Not sure if this is the best option, but I'm happy to see the effort.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly there are worse ideas.

I don't like the idea of red-cards in cricket, but yellows are certainly something worth a go.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
I reckon that the punishment for receiving a yellow card could be something lik 25% of the match fee..for each yellow card that is.If a player cops more than 2 cards he should be banned for a few games.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think it'd presumably be used in the same way as football - once you collect X number of yellow-cards in a season, you cop a ban of 3 matches or whatever.

In football I think it's something like 7, but in cricket it'd probably want to be more like 3 or 4, as in football a yellow-card is given for merely a bad tackle which virtually any player will do from time to time - in cricket the offence would have to be a bit steeper, like open and obvious dissent at an Umpiring decision, use of foul and abusive language towards opposition, etc.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Or the simple formula of two yellow cards equal a red and an immediate suspension from the next game

Precambrian

Banned
Haha, in a world where one team threatens to abandon a game, and another a whole tour, just because of some umpiring decisions, it will be really interesting to see the effect of yellow cards and red cards by the same men in white coats. :laugh:

A definite NO for me. Not until umpiring is standardised and allows for no dissent calls.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Haha, in a world where one team threatens to abandon a game, and another a whole tour, just because of some umpiring decisions, it will be really interesting to see the effect of yellow cards and red cards by the same men in white coats. :laugh:

A definite NO for me. Not until umpiring is standardised and allows for no dissent calls.
Would have had catastrophic consequences if implemented with a referee like Proctor around, given his stand that white teams should be allowed more leeway than subcontinental ones :happy:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This idea has some merit if it was clearly defined what deserves a yellow card.

I voted no though.

Precambrian

Banned
Would have had catastrophic consequences if implemented with a referee like Proctor around, given his stand that white teams should be allowed more leeway than subcontinental ones :happy:
Should have the facility of review on the field itself, The moment someone feels he is wrongly carded, he can signal T.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Much as Procter's words on the matter were ridiculous, they weren't quite that bad.

It was South Africa, New Zealand and Australia he mentioned. England and West Indies weren't.

krkode

State Captain
I think such an idea could be unnecessarily complicated... especially because the decision of whether or not to card a player would be up to the Umpire's discretion.

And there will be different interpretations of what constitutes separate offenses - if a bowler sledges a batsman and has an unnecessarily heated discussion with him and then gets carded but then next ball dismisses him and engages in an exaggerated celebration does he get another card for the very next ball or does it just count as one offense since the two incidents were pretty much within the same minute and it's possible the bowler's sendoff could have been aggravated by him getting a card?

I dunno if that made sense, but in short, I can see it creating ridiculous amounts of drama.