• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I don't regret this episode - Gambhir

tooextracool

International Coach
sledging a person about his cricket is always fine for me.. Heck, even some amount of name calling can be tolerated so long as it is only about the batsman out there. When you start throwing around names at the near and dear of a batsman though, that is the end of that. I know a lot of people who won't take that in any other environment and will get physical, even if they know they could be punished for it, so why should it be any different out there on the cricket field???????????
Obviously there are limits to everything, and insulting someone's kids or poking fun at a sick family member is obviously well beyond those boundaries. However, I dont honestly see anything wrong with plain name calling provided that it is not racial slur. To not expect to have profanities thrown at you though is living in an alternate reality as most people have faced some sort of abuse at some point in their life outside of the cricket field (some might even have faced racial slurs), but most people have the common sense to ignore such comments in reality.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Just out of interest... how do we know what kind of sledges were going on anyway?
I said in one of my earlier posts that my points were ASSUMING that offensive stuff was said.

If you want to get pedantic, you can say my point was not even about Gambhir and Watson but a hypothetical situation where a bowler abuses a batsman and his dear ones on the field and hides under the carpet of "sledging"...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Obviously there are limits to everything, and insulting someone's kids or poking fun at a sick family member is obviously well beyond those boundaries. However, I dont honestly see anything wrong with plain name calling provided that it is not racial slur. To not expect to have profanities thrown at you though is living in an alternate reality as most people have faced some sort of abuse at some point in their life outside of the cricket field (some might even have faced racial slurs), but most people have the common sense to ignore such comments in reality.
yeah.. ignore them when you come across it once in a while from a drunkard on the street. But when you have a colleague calling ur dear ones names and doing it every 5 mins, I doubt many ppl will keep ignoring it...

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Silentstriker had the best solution in the other thread. Wire up the playing area and feed the verbal exchanges into a public speaker system at the ground and the broadcast signals.

Watson's mommy would have been so proud :happy: