• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I don't regret this episode - Gambhir

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yawn. When the Indian bowlers got lippy, they were praised for giving it back to the big bad Aussies. When the Aussies get lippy they're accused of not respecting Indian culture. It's all a bit daft but there we go.
Are you seriously going to compare Watson, Katich and Johnson's actions to Sharma and even Harbhajan (on field at least) this series?

Zaheer got criticised heavily when he sent Hayden off.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Are you seriously going to compare Watson, Katich and Johnson's actions to Sharma and even Harbhajan (on field at least) this series?

Zaheer got criticised heavily when he sent Hayden off.
Yes, I would, I think it's comparable if maybe not as sustained. There was plenty of swearing to be seen from both sets of bowlers. And the Indians were sledging plenty when they played us and then got all upset when someone threw a jelly bean at them.

And to be fair to Watson, it was toned down almost completely in the last match, so it would appear he's learnt his lesson at the moment.

From where I was watching, both teams went a bit over the top, both seemed to have calmed it down to an acceptable level in the last match, the Indians have winged a lot, the media have made a huge storm out of it, and that's that.

Precambrian

Banned
Yes, I would, I think it's comparable if maybe not as sustained. There was plenty of swearing to be seen from both sets of bowlers. And the Indians were sledging plenty when they played us and then got all upset when someone threw a jelly bean at them.

And to be fair to Watson, it was toned down almost completely in the last match, so it would appear he's learnt his lesson at the moment.

From where I was watching, both teams went a bit over the top, both seemed to have calmed it down to an acceptable level in the last match, the Indians have winged a lot, the media have made a huge storm out of it, and that's that.
Absolute nonsense. Jelly bean was probably the lamest thing in a decade. They didnt throw at batsman, but planted them on the pitch. Stupid indeed.

And Indian players whinged? Give them a chance. If they retaliate, then they're promptly summoned and punished, and if they don't and instead complain, they are called whingers.

Concentrate on the cricket. That's what India did and that's why they won it 2-0 against Aus and 1-0 in England. Whingeing left for the losers.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Am I the only person who really doesn't give a **** what players say to each other on the field?

If bowlers/batsmen want to send players off, give a bit of lip, let them, who gives a ****? If it gets racial, ban them, otherwise go for it.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Absolute nonsense. Jelly bean was probably the lamest thing in a decade. They didnt throw at batsman, but planted them on the pitch. Stupid indeed.

And Indian players whinged? Give them a chance. If they retaliate, then they're promptly summoned and punished, and if they don't and instead complain, they are called whingers.

Concentrate on the cricket. That's what India did and that's why they won it 2-0 against Aus and 1-0 in England. Whingeing left for the losers.
That's what I don't get though. The Indians completely outplayed Australia, and we've got loads of headlines about Harbhajan saying this about Sydney, Gambhir saying that about Watson and the Aussie fielders. It's probably the media making a huge fuss about nothing, but I do think it's a shame.

tooextracool

International Coach
Am I the only person who really doesn't give a **** what players say to each other on the field?

If bowlers/batsmen want to send players off, give a bit of lip, let them, who gives a ****? If it gets racial, ban them, otherwise go for it.
Personally agree with this. I cannot honestly see how some of the stuff that the Australian players give to the others on the field is worse than sending someone off with your finger. Whether people like it or not, cricket is no longer a gentlemanly game and the fact is that the fans like to interact with players on the field and watching players react emotionally is only likely to get the adrenaline of the cricket-watching audience flowing quicker. Obviously racial slurs should not be tolerated, but 2 grown men should be able to handle themselves on the field without having an umpire having to arbitrate them.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Gambhir is an idiot. Where is the need to even comment on this for him. Why do these guys love their voices so much. All he had to say to any question in this regard was "Its done. Its in the past. I have moved on and so should you." PERIOD.

What makes him look like a sensible and even a smart guy ?

There is something with us Punjabis. Harbhajan, Gambhir, Yuvraj. We just have to do the "macho" thing, howsoever ridiculous it may make us look and sound. Pakistani friends will understand what I am saying :)

Precambrian

Banned
That's what I don't get though. The Indians completely outplayed Australia, and we've got loads of headlines about Harbhajan saying this about Sydney, Gambhir saying that about Watson and the Aussie fielders. It's probably the media making a huge fuss about nothing, but I do think it's a shame.
That's precisely why Bhajji's and Gambhir's statements are downright foolish. The moment you finish a match or series. stop thinking about it, and start concentrating on new one. Instead of entering into pissing contests on paper and visual media.

Statements "during" the series (like Zaheer and Laxman blaming Australia being defensive, Watto's reply etc) add to the spice and spruce up the battle (as long as it is acceptable and civil), but once the series is over, there is absolutely no point in "Chest Thumping". The series result is there to see, and that's all that will stay through the ages, not their words.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
That's precisely why Bhajji's and Gambhir's statements are downright foolish. The moment you finish a match or series. stop thinking about it, and start concentrating on new one. Instead of entering into pissing contests on paper and visual media.

Statements "during" the series (like Zaheer and Laxman blaming Australia being defensive, Watto's reply etc) add to the spice and spruce up the battle (as long as it is acceptable and civil), but once the series is over, there is absolutely no point in "Chest Thumping". The series result is there to see, and that's all that will stay through the ages, not their words.
Agreed, definitely.

I will be really interested to see how India go from here. We got far too much into the chest-thumping ourselves after 2005, lost a couple of key players, and look where it got us.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

I mind it when some idiot bowling to me calls me and my family names and is only doing it because he knows I cant retaliate coz of the rules...

Meh, for me, every bowler who sledges is just a coward.

pup11

International Coach
I think Gambhir has got this horribly wrong imo, how can he even compare physical contact with sledging, i would have had no problems had he said something back to Watson or any other Aussie player who said something to him, but you definitely don't run around elbowing your opponents like he has done twice already this year, so obviously the bloke has got a problem there, and the sad part is even after being punished for this offence he doesn't seem to have realised his mistake.

tooextracool

International Coach
I mind it when some idiot bowling to me calls me and my family names and is only doing it because he knows I cant retaliate coz of the rules...

Meh, for me, every bowler who sledges is just a coward.
And every batsman who cannot handle the sledging is not good enough to play test match cricket. Rarely has sledging affected the very best players in the world, in fact most captains have said that when it comes to some players they were better off without saying a word. Cricket is a test of mettle as much as it is a test of natural ability and while sledging is a dark aspect of the game, it is something that is and probably will always be part of the game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Personally agree with this. I cannot honestly see how some of the stuff that the Australian players give to the others on the field is worse than sending someone off with your finger.
But the point is, one of these is outlawed (pointing the batsman back to the pavillion) and the other is not (calling a player's family names, or making jokes about what Lara's genitalia tastes like).

One is being a bad 'winner' (pointing to the pavillion) one is being an abusive **** (calling the player's family names).

Agree on the whole regarding emotions though, but be consistent about it. Don't outlaw send-offs but allow sledging, it makes no sense. Cricket's hypocritical laws/rules ****s me sometimes.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Send offs are the most cowardly of all, they can't do anything about it then. Used to do them a fair bit, but saw the light.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And every batsman who cannot handle the sledging is not good enough to play test match cricket. Rarely has sledging affected the very best players in the world, in fact most captains have said that when it comes to some players they were better off without saying a word. Cricket is a test of mettle as much as it is a test of natural ability and while sledging is a dark aspect of the game, it is something that is and probably will always be part of the game.
sledging a person about his cricket is always fine for me.. Heck, even some amount of name calling can be tolerated so long as it is only about the batsman out there. When you start throwing around names at the near and dear of a batsman though, that is the end of that. I know a lot of people who won't take that in any other environment and will get physical, even if they know they could be punished for it, so why should it be any different out there on the cricket field???????????

tooextracool

International Coach
But the point is, one of these is outlawed (pointing the batsman back to the pavillion) and the other is not (calling a player's family names, or making jokes about what Lara's genitalia tastes like).

One is being a bad 'winner' (pointing to the pavillion) one is being an abusive **** (calling the player's family names).

Agree on the whole regarding emotions though, but be consistent about it. Don't outlaw send-offs but allow sledging, it makes no sense. Cricket's hypocritical laws/rules ****s me sometimes.
Well yes, I agree with what you just said and that was the point I was trying to get at in my post. Personally dont think either should be outlawed, but they should be consistent and I dont really understand why we see the kind of fines that we see for players making gestures that are barely even offensive. A simple fist pump done in the direction of the batsman walking towards the pavillion is treated as some sort of malice towards the batsmen in this day and age.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
As I said before. It is a joke that things said on the cricket field will get your head punched in a pub. But they are ok on the cricket field. The sooner someone gets their punched the **** out the better. Gambhir actions are a step in the right direction imo. The sooner we get personally sledging out of game the better.

Those who say it can't be policed are kidding themselves. There is clear difference between a personal sledge and general sledge.