• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warm up matches

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
Out of interest, and obviously in the light of England's result today, I wonder on which tours massive defeats in warm up games have led to rubbish results in one dayers and tests, or if there is simply no correlation. I'd sit on the side of the no correlation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't forget, there's a difference between a practice match and a proper tour game.

Nothing in games like the two England have just played (games which are not 11-a-side) are remotely important.

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
I just wondered, statistically, how much of an indication poor performance in warm up matches were in the final test results. Don't think I've worded that very well!

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The point I was making is that if you're going to do some compiling, it'd make sense to count only genuine tour games, not beer matches of the type we've had twice on the current England in India tour.

Matches which aren't 11-a-side generally get reduced to footnotes with no-one doing any serious-taking of them.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its never preferable and it can be embarassing, but warm up losses of any form mean nothing regarding the future series.

I remember people thinking this game meant a lot as a warm up but England won the series and were comfortabely the better team.

Speculation over warm ups are for fans to gossip over and reporters to write about but they mean nothing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
People will always read something into them if the Test(\ODI) series follows a similar pattern, and they'll always be forgotten if it doesn't.

Precambrian

Banned
I've seen India winning their practise matches and subsequently getting thrashed, and vice versa. So I wouldnt buy much into these practise matches.

And yes, losing to a club standard team in a practise match (like England did against a Mumbai second XI) can be really depressing and humiliating. But champion teams come out of that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Australia before the ODIs in England prior to the Ashes?

Lost a few practice matches, then lost to Bangladesh and England in the first few ODIs right? In the end came good and shared the tri-series ODI with England in a tied final? And then I think they won the best of 3 Natwest Challenge ODIs 2-1 vs. England. Then lost the Ashes, so bit of a mixed bag.

Btw, I find it funny that England out of all countries held a tri-series with England, Australia and Bangladesh, then followed that up with three more useless ODIs as part of another tournament involving Australia and England again. Bit odd for the country that only cares about tests :ph34r:

tooextracool

International Coach
The point of a warm up is not the result, but for everyone to get a good work out on the field. Seems like at least the bowlers have done so, not sure about the batsmen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Btw, I find it funny that England out of all countries held a tri-series with England, Australia and Bangladesh, then followed that up with three more useless ODIs as part of another tournament involving Australia and England again. Bit odd for the country that only cares about tests :ph34r:
The "only cares about Tests" thing generally applies only to hardcore fans.

Some hardcore fans may try to deny it, but the truth is there's a huge market for ODIs in England and always has been.

Hence what was effectively a seven-match series between England and Australia in 2005, with a few games against Bangladesh thrown in there.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Australia before the ODIs in England prior to the Ashes?

Lost a few practice matches, then lost to Bangladesh and England in the first few ODIs right? In the end came good and shared the tri-series ODI with England in a tied final? And then I think they won the best of 3 Natwest Challenge ODIs 2-1 vs. England. Then lost the Ashes, so bit of a mixed bag.

It wasn't actually any more ODIs than we would normally have in a home season, jsut that they were all in one burt. Normally we do it in two series of five or whatever, but actually we used to have the tri-series every year

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The point I was making is that if you're going to do some compiling, it'd make sense to count only genuine tour games, not beer matches of the type we've had twice on the current England in India tour.

Matches which aren't 11-a-side generally get reduced to footnotes with no-one doing any serious-taking of them.
Don't forget, there's a difference between a practice match and a proper tour game.

Nothing in games like the two England have just played (games which are not 11-a-side) are remotely important.
Can't believe PEWS's prompt still hasn't fixed this record.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It wasn't actually any more ODIs than we would normally have in a home season, jsut that they were all in one burt. Normally we do it in two series of five or whatever, but actually we used to have the tri-series every year
Well there's several factors at play there TBH...

Between 1972 and 1998, there were bilateral Texaco Trophy series, sometimes of three, sometimes of two, ODIs' length (except in 1992 when there were five, which is the ideal number). Usually it was three if there was one touring team and two if there were two. And of course in 1975, 1979, 1983 and 1999 when there were World Cups no bilateral series' were played.

In 1998 an experiment with a tri-series was conducted, of just one match per qualifying round, with the two touring teams. Being a moderate success, this was then repeated every year between 2000 and 2005. In 2003, 2004 and 2005, an additional three-match series was scheduled. In 2003, it was against a separate team straight before the tri-series. In 2004, it was against a separate team at a separate time. In 2005, it was against one of the teams from the tri-series and straight after the tri-series. The ideal formula, for me, would've been the 2003 one.

From 2006 to 2008 and in the plans for the immediate future, the tri-series has been abandoned and once more we are playing just the two Test-playing touring teams in a five-match bilateral series each.

Precambrian

Banned
As I said, it's not like I'm bringing the point up non-stop. Others raise it, I mention this as it retains its significance.
There is no doubt that that collapse, whether taken lightly or not, helped a couple of unknown Mumbaiites become famous across the world.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Really? I doubt the resonance of that match will last more than a week or a few days to 99999\100000ths of the cricket-watching World (or somewhere thereabouts).

Being a non-game, it also won't even go down in their records.

Precambrian

Banned
Really? I doubt the resonance of that match will last more than a week or a few days to 99999\100000ths of the cricket-watching World (or somewhere thereabouts).

Being a non-game, it also won't even go down in their records.
It's appearing in all the Australian cricket websites I've checked so far, and also in some of the English newspaper sites. By world, I meant the cricketing world.

And certainly in India, esp Mumbai who are on the lookout for good fast bowlers.

But, If England manages a win or two in the next 1 week, it will become a non-story. Otherwise this failure will be tagged to the other ones.