• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Is The Best Opener In The World

WHO IS THE BEST OPNER IN THE WORLD?

• SACHIN TENDULKAR

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • MICHAEL VAUGHAN

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • HERCHELE GIBBS

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • MATHEW HAYDEN

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • SANATH JAYASURIA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • STEPHEN FLEMING

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Rich2001

International Captain
The question is a tad vauge in that all the players mentioned above only open in one form bar H.Gibbs and S.Jayasuria, so it makes it hard to pick between two players.

As how do you compare a One Day opener to a Test opener?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rich :

nice bit in your sig

13.6 - A Symonds, that's a massive SIX stright down the ground and oh dear that's hit the steward right on the head, after the steward doesn't move for a couple of mins, A Symonds makes a qiuck dash to make sure he is ok, before returing to face the next ball 5-10 mins later.
The reason Symmo took 5-10 minutes to return was that after checking the guy was ok, he finished his pint.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is a ridiculous poll for the simple fact that a player such as Tendulkar is exclusively an ODI opener and Mark Richardson is exclusively a Test player period. Therefore the choices are quite stupid. ODI cricket is not Test cricket....

krkode

State Captain
For ODIs my vote would go to Gilchrist, Tendulkar and Gibbs. All 3 of them can make or break a match with their performance at the start.

For tests, I'd have to go with Hayden, and Kirsten. Same reason. :P

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Richardson is pretty good. Although he's developing a poor conversion rate, I think he averages 50 after 30 odd tests which is one of the best opening averages for any New Zealander ever.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's 48 after 24, still a fair effort, but at 32 (minus 20 minutes) I don't know how much longer he's got left?

What do others think, since he only came into Tests 2 and a half years ago, can he go another 5 years?

Mr Mxyzptlk

I'd just like to thank Shivankit for seemingly injecting some life into the forum again. The amount of different thread responses today is amazing.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I'd just like to thank Shivankit for seemingly injecting some life into the forum again. The amount of different thread responses today is amazing.
Yup - and for Yaju's cousin, not a sign of aeroplanes, loose motions or bicycles anywhere.

Can't run in the family.

We love you anyway, Yaju.

Back on topic. 12 months ago, Tresco might have been considered a candidate for this poll, but he's got Sehwagitis at the moment - tends to get a little carried away when he gets to 30 or 40. Crystal's impressed me on a few occasions in tests, then he goes and gets the collywobbles for a few games. Sachin's definitely my number one opening in ODI's, though.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Richardson will probably go for awhile yet since he is batting really well. I think the amazing thing though was about 5 years ago he was a tail-ender playing for Otago.
Now he's playing international cricket & averaging 48.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
This is a ridiculous poll for the simple fact that a player such as Tendulkar is exclusively an ODI opener and Mark Richardson is exclusively a Test player period. Therefore the choices are quite stupid. ODI cricket is not Test cricket....
Precisely. However,

ODI - Tendulkar (or Gilchrist)
Tests - Hayden.

Simon

Hayden for sure in tests. 1d is a bit harder but i love watching Gibbs bat when hes in form, so id say him.

Shivankit

Cricket Spectator
Thanks Mr Mxyzptlk and luckyeddie.I wanted to clear this doubt,I proposed a poll for an overall best opner including test and ODI.And for that i think these options were quite good with regard to their performance,abillity, experience and thier match saving qualities(though vaughan lacked a bit of experience).So guys(n gals) just follow your heart and give a vote.
:ninja:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Shivankit said:
I proposed a poll for an overall best opner including test and ODI
But that isn't quite fair is it because Sachin and Fleming don't open in Tests so they can't rightly be picked for best overall opener, can they....

Shivankit

Cricket Spectator
For a player like Sachin Tendulkar only hisodi records are enough and if you a little reserch you will find that his test carrer(as an opner) is not to bad either.
:ninja: