• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Is The Best Opener In The World

WHO IS THE BEST OPNER IN THE WORLD?

• SACHIN TENDULKAR

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • MICHAEL VAUGHAN

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • HERCHELE GIBBS

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • MATHEW HAYDEN

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • SANATH JAYASURIA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • STEPHEN FLEMING

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shivankit said:
For a player like Sachin Tendulkar only hisodi records are enough and if you a little reserch you will find that his test carrer(as an opner) is not to bad either.
:ninja:
1 innings of 15 - nothing to write home about!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But that isn't quite fair is it because Sachin and Fleming don't open in Tests so they can't rightly be picked for best overall opener, can they....
Fleming has been opening of late.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
1 innings of 15 - nothing to write home about!
Marc wins today's star prize.

Quite correct - he only played one game as opener - one innings against New Zealand, scored 15

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
R_Powell_fan said:
I though he made his first double-century against ZIm as an opener.....I think it was 217 not out......
Nope - batted at 4 in his 217 (against NZ)

other double ton - 201* v Zim (pos 4)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Your uncle Eddie's sorted it out.

In the game where he made 217 against New Zealand, he batted at 4 in the first innings.

In the second, he batted at 2 and made 15.

Shivankit

Cricket Spectator
Well sorry for that bummer guys(n gals).But when I talk about Tendulkar,it's difficult to remmember his records,so the shortest way in for me is to suppose that everything of him is good(98-0 huh).so chill down and vote
:ninja:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Fleming bats 3 at tests, he hasn't opened in Tests for NZ in a long time..I have a feeling he might have done it once in the West Indies?

But he's definately been opening for NZ in the ODI's since The West Indies tour.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I've only noticed him opening once or twice recently in Tests and at least once, it was in the second innings only.
Yup, but he's also been opening in a lot in ODIs to boot.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's my point Rik. You can't judge the best opener in a pool of players like Sachin and Fleming (ODI openers) as well as the "allround" openers - Vaughan, Hayden etc. I would pick Sachin for ODI, but he doesn't open in Tests so I'll pick Gibbs overall.

Top_Cat

Matt Hayden is my pick for the most complete opener going around right now. He never used to be but he can now play any shot in the book, is solid defensively and can rip apart an attack on his day.

Bazza

International 12th Man
It has to be Hayden surely? The guy was recently ranked first in the world for both forms, meaning not only was he the best opener in the world, but the best batsman period.

A quick check shows me that although he's back on top in tests, he has dropped to eighth in ODIs, but still he averages 52 through 42 test matches and 41 through 61 ODIs with a very healthy SR for an opener of 77.

He gets my vote.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Top_Cat said:
Matt Hayden is my pick for the most complete opener going around right now. He never used to be but he can now play any shot in the book, is solid defensively and can rip apart an attack on his day.
Did you watch the West Indies tour?? Hayden got himself out to a horribly similar shot almost every innings!

Top_Cat

Did you watch the West Indies tour?? Hayden got himself out to a horribly similar shot almost every innings!
Indeed you are right but I put that down to arrogance. He is seeing the ball too well and is falling for the trap of playing beyond his capabilities or not starting each innings afresh. Hes probably still in great form but just not reigning himself in a bit.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Been a revelation for three years now hasnt he..

He is on top of the world. Two more years of this and he'll be set to go down as an all time great.

My favourite ODI opener's no secret. The best test opener for my money is Hayden.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Best test opener: Matt Hayden(current era)
Best ODI opener: Sachin Tendulkar(all-time)

Go_India

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sachin is the ALL TIME GREATEST one day opener .
:)

and for test matches i would choose sir richard hadlee.8D