• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Andrew Symonds have made a difference in India?

Would Andrew Symonds have made a difference in India?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not between March 1998 and March 2001 he didn't. Nor against anyone until February 1993.

He also did decently against India in 2004/05 despite missing the one Test of the series on the sort of pitch he'd almost certainly have caused havoc on.

Precambrian

Banned
Not between March 1998 and March 2001 he didn't. Nor against anyone until February 1993.

He also did decently against India in 2004/05 despite missing the one Test of the series on the sort of pitch he'd almost certainly have caused havoc on.
If that Warne (who is not between 1998March-2001March) came up against a Tendulkar of 1998, and a Laxman of (2001, 2003-04), and a Dravid (2002-06), and a Ganguly (2008), he'd have still struggled. Oh, not to mention a Sehwag of (2003)

:tongue:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I doubt he'd have struggled, as such. I wouldn't have expected him to dominate, but he could've held his own, IMO.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, he would have. Would have had a better batsman than White, a better spinner than White, a better fielder than White and we would have had more luck in winning the tosses :ph34r:

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As to the question - of course he'd have made a difference, Andrew Johns would have made a difference. A fan throwing a bottle of water on the pitch would have made a difference. Would that difference have caused Australia to do better or worse? Tough question. I'd hope worse, but I'm not really sold either way.
This is a great point. Symonds isn't good enough in himself to be worth a two-match deficit, but as Corey said, what if he'd ran out Harby (I think) in the first dig of the first test? Virtual history is a dangerous game.