• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you think of Virender Sehwag?

What do you think of Virender Sehwag?

• Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah I don't really rate him that highly

• Don't rate him at all

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
As the title says and how highly do you rate him? When he gets going he is one of the most exciting batsmen to watch and no bowler is safe. However, whilst I'm not knocking his natural game, I do think he does go over board with the attacking batting, and get to a five cent shot whilst looking like a million bucks. The other thing I can't over look is that does benefit on a lot of fortune, as in dropped catches, how many big innings has he played and has dropped at least a couple of times? Whilst it may not be important to some, I just can't overlook it, because with better fielding he would of been out. That 125 he scores but is dropped on 16 to an easy chance for Test cricketers and again on 44, if they were taken would he have looked as good? He is not as good 4th innings, but then again, never was a player like Steve Waugh.

He has got runs on a flat wicket, but he has also scored on some non flat wickets, so I won't go as far as to say he is a flat track bully. He is a decent 5th bowler option on a turning wicket and has enough quality to get a wicket or two when he bowls.

Precambrian

Banned
As the title says and how highly do you rate him? When he gets going he is one of the most exciting batsmen to watch and no bowler is safe. However, whilst I'm not knocking his natural game, I do think he does go over board with the attacking batting, and get to a five cent shot whilst looking like a million bucks. The other thing I can't over look is that does benefit on a lot of fortune, as in dropped catches, how many big innings has he played and has dropped at least a couple of times? Whilst it may not be important to some, I just can't overlook it, because with better fielding he would of been out. That 125 he scores but is dropped on 16 to an easy chance for Test cricketers and again on 44, if they were taken would he have looked as good? He is not as good 4th innings, but then again, never was a player like Steve Waugh.

He has got runs on a flat wicket, but he has also scored on some non flat wickets, so I won't go as far as to say he is a flat track bully. He is a decent 5th bowler option on a turning wicket and has enough quality to get a wicket or two when he bowls.
Amazing player. Top batsman. Most dangerous opener probably ever in Test cricketer. Excellent cricketing brain.

However prone to the associated weaknesses. Can become complaecent often and known for gifting his wickets. Overall overwhelmingly one of the greatest openers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Excellent opener in the time he's played in, would not be much crack at most other times against good opening bowlers with good catchers. Simple as.

Would always expect him to be Test-class at any time if batting in the middle, however, as he's always done except for in his Test career from 2002 onwards.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He's undisputedly one of the best opening batsmen in test cricket ATM, so there's only really one option on the poll that can be chosen.

Regardless of his faults in shot selection and poor technique on occasion, today, at this very time in cricket, he's one of the best going around.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
One of the best openers in the world today, and he's been around for a while now. Hard to judge exactly where he'll be at the end of his career of course, but he's definitely very good.

pup11

International Coach
I think Sehwag is a very gifted player he has tremendous hand eye-coordination and he can beat virtually any attack into submission, people sometimes criticise that he is too rash in shot selection, he throws away his wicket a lot of times, but for me that is the beauty of his batting, he plays aggressively, scores quickly and more importantly scores big, big runs once he gets going and that's what makes him such a rare and awesome batsmen, he is by far the best opener in test cricket currently and one of the best of his era, and i don't think even his biggest critics can argue against that.

His technique is not something you would like to tell a kid to imitate but the fact that he has scored runs virtually in every part of the world probably goes on to show that whatever type of technique he has definitely works fine for him.

krkode

State Captain
Although he's not a test opener in the traditional mold, I think he has some very amazing qualities about him that make him a fantastically dominating player. If India ever reaches the kinds of heights Australia did from 1998-now, it will be with guys like Sehwag dominating from the front.

But, like was mentioned before, he'd be even more awesome if he didn't almost give his wicket away sometimes.

I think an apt comparison would be he is the Jayasuriya of test matches!? :happy:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
voted A and my thoughts are well known on this.

Him and Hayden are two players who are amazingly under rated around here...

But I will also concede that just like Hayden, he is rather over-rated a bit by few ppl here too.