• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gibbs sent home...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
So who is going to be his replacement, Amla or are they gonna give Van Wyk another go.

Ontong is likely to open with Amla tomorrow. Captain Smith hopes to be back for the second ODI on Sunday...

Franchise cricket is going at the moment so the only choices if you went out the squad would be Neil Mac or Virus Petersen considering they are the closest to Potchefstroom.

pup11

International Coach
Ontong is likely to open with Amla tomorrow. Captain Smith hopes to be back for the second ODI on Sunday...

Franchise cricket is going at the moment so the only choices if you went out the squad would be Neil Mac or Virus Petersen considering they are the closest to Potchefstroom.
That's actually a guy' name!!! :laugh:

Anyways wasn't it a while ago that the quota system was scrapped from South African sports, so how is a guy like Ontong still in the South African team then?:unsure:

Langeveldt

Soutie
err...no

Stronger than ever as now part of national law.
Wondering if you could shed any light on how I get to play in an all white team, that are in an official accredited league in the Eastern Cape.. We don't seemingly have any penalties at all for fielding an all white team. And my uni rep team were all white. Do you think there are different enforcements of the "system" countrywide?

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Wondering if you could shed any light on how I get to play in an all white team, that are in an official accredited league in the Eastern Cape.. We don't seemingly have any penalties at all for fielding an all white team. And my uni rep team were all white. Do you think there are different enforcements of the "system" countrywide?
Simple answer is, I dont know.

Ive seen these things happen in the Uni system and be allowed to happen until the first complaint and then teams thrown out.

My league team in Pretoria was also all white. It is only in the pros and at Rep level or institutions that rely on public funding. At other levels teams want more non-white players as it gives them access to more funding but they are not always easy to find.

For a private club where members pay to join its hard to enforce any quota as a) people pay to play b) non-white players may want to play elsewhere and c) as you know many non-white players live many miles away from a lot of 'white' clubs and have other options far closer to home.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Always loved watching him bat, I'll never, ever forget the 175, the most memorable ODI I have ever seen.

Hope everything goes well for him.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Astle's knock >>>>>>>>>>>> Gibbs' TBF, and Gibbs' was fantastic even before Bracken dropped that sitter which allowed it to end-up bigger still.

I couldn't fail to enjoy that 175, along with all the other SAfrican knocks that insane innings, obviously, but for me most of Gibbs' best moments came much earlier - 1999/2000, for instance, and 2001/02 and 2002/03.

As for Gibbs at large, well, there's no denying IMO that he was something of a flat-track bully - the inswinger and outswinger would usually cause him problems, and he wasn't the best player of the turning ball either. However, when he got in on a flat pitch, watch-out if you were a bowler, kick-back and enjoy if you were a spectator - he was a sensational sight, the apparent ease of his strokeplay far better for my money than the speed he scored at - the way he just put the bat there and it so often hit the middle. He had the best of the Worlds of Gower and Richards combined when he was on-song on a flat deck and a non-swinging ball. The fact that he was usually get-out-able should either of those not be present doesn't change that at all, even if it does mean he was far from a player of the highest class.

Also, I've often wondered what'd have happened had he never been asked to open. Would things have been better or less good? I don't think anyone can really know.
I'll alway remember him for dropping the World Cup tbh... wonder how much that cost?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Funniest thing about it was I was pleased about it at the time (as pleased as I ever am about a dropped catch, anyway) as I wanted Australia to go through rather than Zimbabwe (wanted Zimbabwe and India to fail to qualify as the buggers had knocked England out :@) and that miss meant they did.

I could've been completely happy about it if Klusener and Donald had just managed to run that run. Sadly, though that deserves to be remembered far more as the reason SA failed to get to the final, Gibbs' drop (ridiculous as it was - it was less of a drop than a premature celebration, like Lara's off Flintoff at The ARG in 2004) tends to be by most people.

And all because of an apocryphal story about Stephen Waugh's mouth.