Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Test Captains And Their Tactics

You can't rate Dhoni as a better test captain than Jayawardene yet.

Mahela's record is amazing considering the considerably less talented team and resources he has (even taking into consideration Murali and Sanga, Mendis has only recently come to the fore) compared to other countries.

Maleha is the best captain in the world IMO. Dhoni may challenge him when we see more of him on the centre stage in test cricket. Dhoni's fields to spinners still aren't the best IMO, I thought his fields at the end of day 2 were poor and let Katich and Hussey get runs far too easily. He'll learn though, what a leader.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    You can't rate Dhoni as a better test captain than Jayawardene yet.

Mahela's record is amazing considering the considerably less talented team and resources he has (even taking into consideration Murali and Sanga, Mendis has only recently come to the fore) compared to other countries.

Maleha is the best captain in the world IMO. Dhoni may challenge him when we see more of him on the centre stage in test cricket. Dhoni's fields to spinners still aren't the best IMO, I thought his fields at the end of day 2 were poor and let Katich and Hussey get runs far too easily. He'll learn though, what a leader.
    Agreed that Jayawardene is a pretty awesome captain. Sri Lanka have been a fantastic side of late with really only about 3 world class test players... I don't know how much it indicates, but the recent India-SL series comes to mind where Jayawardene made immaculate use of the referral system - pure luck? or cricketing genius?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    His presence isn't vital for Australia to beat NZ. Don't be ridiculous.
    I imagine that post was ironic, but TBH I'd say that anyone thinking "oh well I can afford to be suspended for 2 games against New Zealand" is taking a pretty shocking attitude.

Australia need their best players playing all the time at the moment, they can't afford to be taking any team lightly. The fact that West Indies pushed them pretty close in all three Tests, even saving one when play was lost, not so long ago attests to that.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    A more shocking attitude is 'I'd rather lose this series right now.'
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

A better attitude would have been "I back my bowlers, who just got 6 wickets in a session (well one was a run out), to get the last 4 before the overrates becomes an issue anyway."

Wasn't the over-rate already an issue by Tea?

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    A more shocking attitude is 'I'd rather lose this series right now.'
    I realise that's a poor attitude as well obviously. However I don't imagine anyone was thinking "it doesn't matter if we lose this series". I certainly hope not.

I imagine the thought was along the lines of "we could still win this by bowling part-time spinners... couldn't we?" I've noted before how Ponting can lose his head when things aren't going his way, and this strikes me as another case of this. He tried to compromise on things and it didn't work. I doubt he was particularly thinking "I don't want to miss a couple of matches because I won't get to pillage the weak Kiwi attack that way".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information