View Poll Results: Do you think Brad Haddin will be a better Test batsman than Ian Healy? Post a Poll

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 54.55%
  • No

13 19.70%
  • Don't think there'll be much between them

10 15.15%
  • Don Tallon was a better wicketkeeper than either, so I don't care who'll be the better batsman

7 10.61%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think Brad Haddin will be as a good a Test batsman as Ian Healy?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar

Do you think Brad Haddin will be as a good a Test batsman as Ian Healy?

Expecting any wicketkeeper to be as good a batsman as Adam Gilchrist is obviously very silly, and hardly anyone with any cricketing sense would be expecting such a thing. A more reasonable question would be whether he'll be as good as a "good" rather than "excellent" Test wicketkeeper-batsman like Healy.

Don't be fooled by Healy's overall Test career average: he was very poor at the end of his career (like so many are) which distorts it a little. But more significantly, he was very poor for the first half of his career and damn good for the second half. Haddin is unlikely to have a Test career much longer than half of Healy's, so he is in a sense at an advantage - if he equals Healy's "good" period and that ends as his entire career, he'll obviously look better because people will judge Healy as if his bad and good were all one, which, well, they weren't. Healy averaged less than 22 in his first 47 games in his first 4 years as a Test player, then just under 36 in his next 59 in his next 5-and-a-half years. So he was very poor for a fair while then damn good for a fair while. If Haddin cannot manage something similar, then for mine he's not as good, even if his career average should be, say, 34 to Healy's 27.

Healy also averaged 37.42 in the 50 matches he managed to fit-in for Queensland between 1987/88 and 1997/98. Not as good as Haddin's record for NSW (he averaged 32.96 in 45 games between 1999/2000 and 2003/04, then a really pretty awesome 54.91 between 2004/05 and 2007/08) but Haddin has played in an era where Australian pitches in general have been much flatter than Healy's.

So do you think Haddin has it in him to be better than Healy as a batsman? I'll be damn disappointed if he doesn't emulate him or come close, but I don't think he can really expect to do that much better. If he manages to play 60-odd Tests he'll have done pretty well, debuting at 30.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

I expect Haddin to end up with a Test average in the mid-30s.
    If he's averaging as little as 27 he'll struggle to keep his place in the team.

So would Healy have done if he'd averaged that all his career.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    From what I remember seeing of Healy, and what I've seen of Haddin, Haddin is the better batsman, and hopefully he'll end up with an average that reflects this.

The biggest problem for Haddin in terms of batting is that he won't have as many chances to score as freely as Gilchrist did, who benefitted from having the likes of Hayden, Langer, Ponting, the Waughs, Martyn and Hussey (Katich and Clarke to a lesser extent) at various times making up the top 6.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Haddin's done pretty well so far and hasn't even played at home yet which I reckon he'll do better with.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Haddin is more of a technician than Healy was but it remains to be seen whether he'll be as valuable a player.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Yeah, there's no doubt Haddin is technicaly far more sound and has a much more solid base to work from. Equally I'll be very surprised if he doesn't up his game when he finally plays his first home Test.

As regards this:
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    The biggest problem for Haddin in terms of batting is that he won't have as many chances to score as freely as Gilchrist did, who benefitted from having the likes of Hayden, Langer, Ponting, the Waughs, Martyn and Hussey (Katich and Clarke to a lesser extent) at various times making up the top 6.
    it should benefit him I think. Haddin's game is not naturally suited to extreme strokeplay, and to have such a role expected of him would likely be a hindrance rather than a help.

If Haddin can feel like he can play his own game, rather than try to play Gilchrist's, I think he has much his best chance.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yeah, there's no doubt Haddin is technicaly far more sound and has a much more solid base to work from. Equally I'll be very surprised if he doesn't up his game when he finally plays his first home Test.

As regards this: it should benefit him I think. Haddin's game is not naturally suited to extreme strokeplay, and to have such a role expected of him would likely be a hindrance rather than a help.

If Haddin can feel like he can play his own game, rather than try to play Gilchrist's, I think he has much his best chance.
    I meant more that Gilchrist more often than not came in with a fairly large score to give him free reign to bat however he pleased, something Haddin won't get as much of, in terms of freedom and will probably have to play the role of defensive scrapper to save an innings or situation.

I honestly think that's a role that'll suit him better than the ideal requirement of 70-odd* off 80 balls with 36 off 50 the second-best option.

I think the expectation to score quickly (which, really, is always there if you come in with 350 or so already on the board) is something that could potentially be a big negative for Haddin. He's already had to contend with a few ridiculous comments along the lines of "wicketkeepers should be attacking batsmen".

I honestly think that's a role that'll suit him better than the ideal requirement of 70-odd* off 80 balls with 36 off 50 the second-best option.

I think the expectation to score quickly (which, really, is always there if you come in with 350 or so already on the board) is something that could potentially be a big negative for Haddin. He's already had to contend with a few ridiculous comments along the lines of "wicketkeepers should be attacking batsmen".
    He is an attacking batsman, though. Belted a few big tons for NSW in OD cricket opening the batting (even if they were all on North Sydney Oval). The guy can hit the ball hard, what we've seen in his Test and even OD career so far hasn't really shown that. Been very cautious.

Probably not as good as Gilchrist in being able to consistently hit the ball for a long peroid of time but make no mistake, has all the shots. And this from a bloke who isn't the biggest fan....

He's a better batsmen than Healy was, has a way to go to catch up to him in terms of 'keeping though.

Seriously though, I cannot believe that there is actually so much speculation surrounding Haddins future on these boards. He's played 6 tests away from home, done a good job behind the stumps in all bar 1 test, and whilst he hasn't made the best of starts with the bat, he's at least been able to stick around most of the time and help produce partnerships of 50-70. People need to wtfu and realise that he ISN'T going to do a Gilchrist and average around 50 for the majority of his test career. His primary role is to be a wicket keeper, and he's the best at that in Australia, his secondary role is to be a batsmen. He's also comfortably the best batsmen out of all the 'keepers available for Australian selection and I've no doubt that if people actually give the bloke a fair go, he'll go on and prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    He is an attacking batsman, though. Belted a few big tons for NSW in OD cricket opening the batting (even if they were all on North Sydney Oval). The guy can hit the ball hard, what we've seen in his Test and even OD career so far hasn't really shown that. Been very cautious.

Probably not as good as Gilchrist in being able to consistently hit the ball for a long peroid of time but make no mistake, has all the shots. And this from a bloke who isn't the biggest fan....
    Yeah, I saw from cricinfo his List A SR is above 90, which surprised me no end. Hasn't ever looked quite the real deal when I've seen him. He looks a bit too rigid a player, as if he's entirely manufactured. Had all the spontaneity coached out of his batting. It might be that because he's had to wait so long to get a go he's too uptight to play his natural game for fear of mistakes tho, I suppose.

Still averaging over 30 in tests without fully convincing, so if he ever does hit proper form I think he could get close to his FC average.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    So would Healy have done if he'd averaged that all his career.
    I don't know that he would have...given Healy came before Gilchrist and as such there wasn't as big an onus on a keeper who could score thousands of runs I'd say Healy would have been fine with an average of 27 as he could keep pretty well. Post-Gilchrist there's a bigger focus on the keeper being able to score runs at a healthy average as well.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I don't know that he would have...given Healy came before Gilchrist and as such there wasn't as big an onus on a keeper who could score thousands of runs I'd say Healy would have been fine with an average of 27 as he could keep pretty well. Post-Gilchrist there's a bigger focus on the keeper being able to score runs at a healthy average as well.
    Yep, Heals was in the side for his 'keeping. At no stage, even during the early and mid parts of his career when he wasn't scoring many runs, was his place under threat.

Brad Haddin is an excellent batsman - probably my favourite current batsman from NSW. However, like most players starting out at Test level, he needs a big innings so that he can believe that he's good enough at this level. All he needs is one big innings, then the floodgates will open.

Hope I haven't jinxed him.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information