Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64

Thread: ICC Like a Paper Tiger

  1. #1
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,808
    You know it makes sense.

  2. #2
    State Regular The_Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    971
    The only reason for this that I can see is India wanted him for the last test and the appeal didnt last long enough.
    Personally I think the ban might be over the top, but I really hope ICC stick to their guns on this one.

  3. #3
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    9,385
    Well the BCCI seem to be treating the ICC with absolute contempt.

    If India try to select Gambhir then Australia should refuse to play, simple as that.

  4. #4
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65,366
    Oh oh.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.


  5. #5
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  6. #6
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    40,056
    If true, yea, this is out of line. If they bothered to read the report by Justice Sachs, they'd know it was absolutely fair and his reasons were clear and compelling on why he denied the appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  7. #7
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    40,056
    I would absolutely back Australia if they refused to play if India name Gambhir in their lineup.

  8. #8
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    27,072
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Well the BCCI seem to be treating the ICC with absolute contempt.

    If India try to select Gambhir then Australia should refuse to play, simple as that.
    They probably wouldn't need to do that; I'd imagine the umpires would step in if Gambhir is seen in whites this week.

    The really chilling part for me is this;

    "However there is a chance that India's strongly worded rebuke to the ICC will be a forerunner to their selecting the ineligible Gambhir to play in Nagpur, a situation that arose in 2001 when the banned Virender Sehwag was chosen to play against South Africa at Centurion Park despite his ban for over-appealing.

    On that occasion match referee Mike Denness, who imposed the ban, was locked out of the ground and the match declared unoffical by the ICC."


    Playing an unofficial 'Test' was a balls-up worse than changing the result of Pakistan's forfeit, I reckon.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Though the ultra-urgent steps taken by ICC to ensure that the verdict was given before the Nagpur test looks questionable, the BCCI should accept the verdict. I think they have already, otherwise why should they name a replacement? Gambhir deserved the ban totally. Recording protests should not be confused with not accepting the verdict and abiding by it. Storm in a teacup this.

    Not the first time, when Murali was called for chucking by Darrell Hair, the ICC had formally asked for an explanation from Cricket Australia, which they flatly refused to do.

    Yeah and ICC is a paper tiger.

  10. #10
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    27,072
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    If true, yea, this is out of line. If they bothered to read the report by Justice Sachs, they'd know it was absolutely fair and his reasons were clear and compelling on why he denied the appeal.
    To be honest, I was on the side of the fence that there was nothing in it as far as Gambhir's behaviour goes. Thought it was accidental. But he's admitted that he did it deliberately, citing Aussie verbals as the reason for it. He's lucky he's only out for one match, really.

    BCCI, as you said, if this is true, are well out of line.

  11. #11
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    40,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    They probably wouldn't need to do that; I'd imagine the umpires would step in if Gambhir is seen in whites this week.

    The really chilling part for me is this;

    "However there is a chance that India's strongly worded rebuke to the ICC will be a forerunner to their selecting the ineligible Gambhir to play in Nagpur, a situation that arose in 2001 when the banned Virender Sehwag was chosen to play against South Africa at Centurion Park despite his ban for over-appealing.

    On that occasion match referee Mike Denness, who imposed the ban, was locked out of the ground and the match declared unoffical by the ICC."


    Playing an unofficial 'Test' was a balls-up worse than changing the result of Pakistan's forfeit, I reckon.
    DWTA. I believe on that occasion both SA and India agreed. This is completely different. With that said, I think it was wrong then too.

    If they believe the judgment to be unfair, they should pursue official channels and make changes. It's not like they lack clout at the ICC. This is childish, unnecessary and hurts the game.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    They probably wouldn't need to do that; I'd imagine the umpires would step in if Gambhir is seen in whites this week.

    The really chilling part for me is this;

    "However there is a chance that India's strongly worded rebuke to the ICC will be a forerunner to their selecting the ineligible Gambhir to play in Nagpur, a situation that arose in 2001 when the banned Virender Sehwag was chosen to play against South Africa at Centurion Park despite his ban for over-appealing.

    On that occasion match referee Mike Denness, who imposed the ban, was locked out of the ground and the match declared unoffical by the ICC."


    Playing an unofficial 'Test' was a balls-up worse than changing the result of Pakistan's forfeit, I reckon.
    Oh that verdict was Deness was farce. It wa a shame in the game's face.

  13. #13
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    27,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    Though the ultra-urgent steps taken by ICC to ensure that the verdict was given before the Nagpur test looks questionable, the BCCI should accept the verdict. I think they have already, otherwise why should they name a replacement? Gambhir deserved the ban totally. Recording protests should not be confused with not accepting the verdict and abiding by it. Storm in a teacup this.

    Not the first time, when Murali was called for chucking by Darrell Hair, the ICC had formally asked for an explanation from Cricket Australia, which they flatly refused to do.

    Yeah and ICC is a paper tiger.
    How is that questionable? It would be a ludicrous situation where a bloke did something bannable in one game but purely due to reasons of process, wasn't banned for the next available game.

  14. #14
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    40,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    Oh that verdict was Deness was farce. It wa a shame in the game's face.
    Yes, absolutely. This isn't like that at all.

  15. #15
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    40,056
    That Mike Deness decision hurt the game more than India playing an unofficial Test. This, on the other hand, is completely India's fault, if they do go through with it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Do you use both sides of toilet paper?
    By yaju in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 08:40 PM
  2. Project Tiger
    By silentstriker in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 07-04-2007, 06:27 PM
  3. On paper strength doesnt matter
    By rodzilla1010 in forum World Cup 2007
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-03-2007, 09:51 AM
  4. Tiger Vs. Singh - Golf
    By Sanz in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 20-05-2005, 09:16 AM
  5. Tiger is Back !!!
    By Sanz in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 01:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •