• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Like a Paper Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nothing in it currently for mine, but it could get rather nasty if the BCCI do act as the report implies they might. I would sincerely hope they don't, but one does wonder about Australia's reaction if India do try to field Gambhir. Given the unwritten (and largely unspoken) rule currently is "don't piss off the BCCI" and Australians amke a lot of money thanks to that body I can't help but wonder if we might get another "unofficial" test.

Hmm.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Not a chance India will field Gambhir in the fourth test. They've already named a replacement for him for crying out loud! Rather than kick up a fuss over the Gambhir issue, the BCCI should be questioning the lack of proper action against Watson and Katich. The inconsistency is glaring.

Precambrian

Banned
Not a chance India will field Gambhir in the fourth test. They've already named a replacement for him for crying out loud! Rather than kick up a fuss over the Gambhir issue, the BCCI should be questioning the lack of proper action against Watson and Katich. The inconsistency is glaring.
Watson got reprimanded and fined 10% of match fee which is ok for a first time offence imho. However Katich's is glaring. That said, BCCI cannot be expected to complain in the lines of "Why only Gambhir, why not Katich" as that would amount to whingeing, and lead to another barrage of "Pathetic BCCI" articles from experts worldwide.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The ICC has of course brought this on itself. Not through Albie Sach's judgment (which I've not read, but he's an extremely well-respected Judge so at a wild guess I'd imagine it's a proper and well-reasoned decision) but through its pitiful decision to cave in re the Oval 2006 forfeiture. It can hardly be surprised now if the BCCI tries to take the p!ss in the way that they're now threatening to do.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Watson got reprimanded and fined 10% of match fee which is ok for a first time offence imho. However Katich's is glaring. That said, BCCI cannot be expected to complain in the lines of "Why only Gambhir, why not Katich" as that would amount to whingeing, and lead to another barrage of "Pathetic BCCI" articles from experts worldwide.
Gavaskar stands vindicated.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
They are seen that way anyway. So who cares? Do what's right, Katich not being pulled up is a sham. But what they are threatening to do is a much much bigger sham. They have the power, use it to actually fix things that are unfair and wrong in cricket, not to whinge and get their way every time.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Oh I know Sehwag shouldn't have been banned. Just thought playing the unofficial Test was pointless.
IMO it wasn't. It sent a big signal to both the ICC and Mike Denness.

Zaremba said:
The ICC has of course brought this on itself. Not through Albie Sach's judgment (which I've not read, but he's an extremely well-respected Judge so at a wild guess I'd imagine it's a proper and well-reasoned decision) but through its pitiful decision to cave in re the Oval 2006 forfeiture. It can hardly be surprised now if the BCCI tries to take the p!ss in the way that they're now threatening to do.
I would guess that the Oval had 0% to do with this. BCCI have been doing this from way before.

Again, all this is assuming that report is true, which I am not sure it is.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not really sure about some of these misunderstandings with the Sehwag-2001/02 situation. The article Sean posted (and Corey quoted the "chilling" part of) is wrong for starters.

The Centurion Park Test was declared unofficial because South Africa did not allow Mike Denness to officiate. South Africa did this because India said they would not play if he was allowed to, and while it was over-petty in some ways there's no doubt Denness' rulings against some of the Indian players in the previous game was over-zealous, especially charging Tendulkar with bringing the game into disrepute for effectively cleaning the seam. The Sehwag ban was a separate issue, it was Tendulkar's wrongful accusation that annoyed people. For South Africa, the revenue from the game being played was more important than the game having Test status. The game was always going to be played, the UCBSA could not afford for it to not be, so they had to accede to India's request to refuse to allow Denness. However, ICC said that if Denness was not allowed to Referee, it would not be a Test, so it wasn't. I don't think either party acted wrongly - if India believed Denness was wholly in the wrong, they should have done that, an unofficial Test was a worthy price to pay. Equally, ICC were quite right to refuse to give Test status to a game where their Referee wasn't allowed to officiate.

India did not refuse to accept Sehwag's ban, it was Denness' continued appointment that they wanted changed, and they got this. However, in the unofficial Test, they left Sehwag out. This meant that as far as the BCCI were concerned, he'd served his ban, but as far as ICC were concerned, he hadn't.

The game that the Sehwag ban caused the issues with was India's next game, against England at Mohali - he was included in the squad, ICC said that if he played then (as with Gambhir now) the game would once more not be given Test status. And in the end Dalmiya backed down and Sehwag did not play in that game, thus serving his ban as ICC said he must. It's unlikely he was ever actually actually going to play, the thing was simply Dalmiya taking the chance to cause a kerfuffle.

The comparison between Sehwag in '01/02 and Gambhir now is wrong. Gambhir's ban is being called by India wrongly imposed; Sehwag's ban they simply argued he'd served it, they did not disagree with it being imposed. As I say, it ended with Dalmiya backing down, the Mohali Test against England went ahead as a Test and there was no problem eventually.

The question is, will the BCCI back down this time? England said they'd refuse to play an unofficial Test in 2001/02. Will the Australians do the same? It'll be interesting to see, but hopefully the BCCI will simply back down, realising that this is a fight even they don't need.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Reading this again, it really is shockingly poor journalism. That website is one of New Zealand's biggest (maybe even biggest?) and this DANIEL BRETTIG has as a result misinformed countless thousands of people.

Someone should complain.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think if they'd cited Katich they'd have had to cite Ghambir again, but this time for him being the one with the verbals. So I guess although Katich would have been fined, Ghambir would have got fined too.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I would absolutely back Australia if they refused to play if India name Gambhir in their lineup.
Furthermore I'd back handing the victory in the final test to Australia and tying the series letting them retain the trophy. :ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Furthermore I'd back handing the victory in the final test to Australia and tying the series letting them retain the trophy. :ph34r:
Well, technically, ICC would nullify the game. :laugh:

But hey, India lose because of their behavior, I've no sympathy for them.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think if they'd cited Katich they'd have had to cite Ghambir again, but this time for him being the one with the verbals. So I guess although Katich would have been fined, Ghambir would have got fined too.
That would have been fine by me, Gambhir is not innocent here, he got what he was coming to him. What Katich did deserved more punishment than Watson.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He did play the match, you get fined for the match you do the offence in. :p
Assuming the elbowing didn't happen, would he have received a 20% fine for swearing at two different people in the same match? Or would it have stayed at 10%? What about two instances of him swearing at the same person in a match? And are all these fines the reason match referees invariably look so prosperous round the middle? :p

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Assuming the elbowing didn't happen, would he have received a 20% fine for swearing at two different people in the same match? Or would it have stayed at 10%? What about two instances of him swearing at the same person in a match? And are all these fines the reason match referees invariably look so prosperous round the middle? :p
I expect if you did the same offence twice in the match you'd get fined more than 20%. Also more if he's been picked up on that before.

I was wondering that about the fines... where do they go to?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Agreed, but it would have only caused more of a furore if they'd found Gambhir guilty twice.
Highly doubtful. The furor is over a match ban, not match fees. But even if it was, it doesn't matter. Furor is not a reason why Katich wasn't pulled up. It's about what's fair.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seems this idea of him playing is a bit of a beat up from what I've heard this morning.

An Indian journo was ont he radio here this morning saying Gambhir surely won't play. Is that the prevailing view as we speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.