• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Comparing Test Teams

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hmm yes i thought about that but:

1. RP Singh wasn't tragically out of form then, and bowled brilliantly throughout
2. The series was a 1-1 draw if not for rain rescuing India in the first test
3. Flintoff was out, and Anderson seems to have majorly improved since then
4. England's batting lineup was shocking, India's was filled with legends.

So right now I'd just give England's attack the edge.
India would have won the 3rd Test if they had been 1-1 going into it. I don't buy that excuse for a single second. It'd be like me saying India would be 1-1 in Australia if umpires weren't crap. It's possible, but the result is what it is. Period.

Flintoff's ankle has been abused more than John McCain's arm. He won't be a regular. And forget the batting, the bowling of Zaheer was miles better than anyone, regardless of who was facing him.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, I agree with this.

Anderson and Sidebottom opening the bowling in swinging conditions outdoes any other combination IMO. Zaheer's as good if not better than both but he lacks support in this area. As good as Ishant is starting to look, he still doesn't swing the ball a great deal.
I think I'd take Zaheer and Munaf/Sreesanth over them, which is who we're talking about.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd dispute that too. Aussies are better IMO.
Mmm, tttt neither have played in enough recent matches with the ball swinging to tell for sure. Perth last year is a similar case to that for Australia, and more recently SA have mauled lateral movement from NZ and coped well in England. Tough one though. Hopefully we'll find out soon enough.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think I'd take Zaheer and Munaf/Sreesanth over them, which is who we're talking about.
Hmm, I don't think I would. Sreesanth and Anderson used to be extremely similar as bowlers but in recent times Anderson has found a little more consistency and Sreesanth just seems to get more and more mentally fragile - or at least have it exploited by the opposition more. I think the gap between Anderson and him would more than make up for the small gap between Zaheer and a fully-fit Sidebottom, and then they have Flintoff as well. Hell, you'd have to consider Collingwood in genuine swing conditions as well, even if only as an afterthought.

I think you need to get the wheel of mediocrity back out; you're getting soft. :p

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India would have won the 3rd Test if they had been 1-1 going into it. I don't buy that excuse for a single second. It'd be like me saying India would be 1-1 in Australia if umpires weren't crap. It's possible, but the result is what it is. Period.

Flintoff's ankle has been abused more than John McCain's arm. He won't be a regular. And forget the batting, the bowling of Zaheer was miles better than anyone, regardless of who was facing him.
I don't mean it as an excuse. Hell i was cheering for India all series long. Zaheer's excellent indeed but he lacks support, as Prince said, Sidebottom and Anderson opening the bowling is as tough as it gets when the ball swings IMO, before we even get to Flintoff on first change.

Precambrian

Banned
Tendulkar too. He turns the ball more than most regulars. Obviously his accuracy is nowhere near, but on turning pitches, he can be a very useful partnership breaker. Him and Sehwag can more than make up the second spinning option.
Tendulkar has more or less ruled out bowling. Can't see him even for partnership breaking. Too dangerous for his shoulder. Will though see 1 or 2 overs here and there.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
All right, I better not have become the champion of Indian bowlers around here. That's ridiculous.

They all suck. :mad2:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I think you can safely take Zaheer Khan out of the wheel of mediocrity now SS. You should have since his return in South Africa 07 TBH.