• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mo Yo goes ICL

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If this is true, then Yousuf is incredibly stupid and/or lacking any morals whatsoever
Don't think it's any great secret that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.
What the hell are the ICC doing, if Yousuf can't play for PAK now two teams would have lost BIG players just to these stupid 20/20 competitions who don't really care about the helping the improve our sport.

Of course its a big part of the games future, but the ICC needs to take a serious stand soon.
I$C$C's executives have no power to influence anything about the matter. It's all about what individual boards want.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You are vying for Utopia, which will never come. And people are not noble, lest the BCCI who have proved to be complete suckers for money and power. So don't ever expect it to happen. For long India has been at the receiving end of everything in cricket, whether it be schedules (how often did Eng and Aus tour them prior to 95, as compared to now), and as well results. Now that they are shedding off the last remnants of colonial past, they want to assert themselves, and assert they will. Now, India has suddenly become the hotspot for International cricketers, and earlier when it used to be a hardship posting, now suddenly it has become the new tourist destination for them. UK (MCC) has run this game for so long, and they got to realise their time's over, and it's time for India to take over the mantle, for good or bad, we don't yet know.
As I say - as long as the Asian bloc is united, this will be the way things are. However, it is not the way things would work best, for anyone other than India in the short-term. I realise Utopia is not remotely likely - that does not, however, change the fact that ideally that would be the situation we had.
MCC ran the game, and it was in UK isnt it?
Yes, so? After 1968, it was not the govorning body for English cricket and the govornance of World and UK cricket was done separately.
No, in one case it one board assuming leadership over two others, and the results have not been detrimental to the remaining boards. (Like BCCI's decision to send Indian team to Pakistan for Asia Cup, despite no other Non-Asian team even thinking of touring Pakistan). There has been some bad stuff also, like the ICL, which is not within BCCI's control and though they are trying to push that into oblivion.
You think the ECB are going to lose-out due to the Stanford association? There's not a particularly great deal of long-term bad that's going to come from it, it just looks cringeworthy.
IPL wouldnt have bene possible had India been not dominant in the cricket world. Rather, I would say, IPL is the proof of dominance of Indian cricket. It finally showed that the criket in India has grown into such proportions that a billion-dollar project like IPL could be sustained viably without any foreign investment, atleast directly.
Something like the IPL was always do-able though, that is the point. Regardless of who orchestrated it.

Precambrian

Banned
As I say - as long as the Asian bloc is united, this will be the way things are. However, it is not the way things would work best, for anyone other than India in the short-term. I realise Utopia is not remotely likely - that does not, however, change the fact that ideally that would be the situation we had.
What is that you find so cringe-worthy of BCCI, that is affecting the game as compared to before? If anything, they are ensuring a steady flow of Indian money into the ICC coffers which in turn is facilitating development of cricket. Every good story needs a villain, so it is the monopolistic BCCI is made one. And when the real reasons for the BCCI hate comes out, it is more due to perception than actual analysis. And while ever calls for "BCCI's leadership failure", there is no alternative pointed out rather than vague words.

Yes, so? After 1968, it was not the govorning body for English cricket and the govornance of World and UK cricket was done separately.
By whom?

You think the ECB are going to lose-out due to the Stanford association? There's not a particularly great deal of long-term bad that's going to come from it, it just looks cringeworthy.
I don't give a damn about ECB whoring out to Stanford. That is purely an arrangement between them.

Something like the IPL was always do-able though, that is the point. Regardless of who orchestrated it.
In hindsight, everyone can say that. Now all boards are working overtime to develop their own PLs. But the fact is that India was the pioneer in finding a might marketing and business model in 20-20. And a tournament of such scale could be sustained only in India, where the market is humoungus.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yesterday Inzi was on a talk show and this what he had to say abut Malik

""He has not been fair with senior players and has let them down on several occasions. He has not been open and honest with them and they have conveyed their unhappiness to me,"

It seems likely that Yousuf is the one who's been unhappy with Malik and he has taken this decision as an act to show his dissatisfaction with the current skipper.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What the hell are the ICC doing, if Yousuf can't play for PAK now two teams would have lost BIG players just to these stupid 20/20 competitions who don't really care about the helping the improve our sport.

Of course its a big part of the games future, but the ICC needs to take a serious stand soon.
Haha, what do you actually expect them to do about it?

EDIT: And furthermore, I'd argue that the severe drop in quality of Bangladeshi domestic cricket and the potential for players to continue to drift to the Dhaka Warriors or whoever they are is a lot more significant than losing two international "stars".

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You're free to create one if you want to discuss it. I just don't think anyone was interested enough to do so.
I think there is an ICL thread somewhere you know.

Could find all the threads that have derailed into the likes of me and zaremba taking on Richard regarding it being a bad thing etc as well and stick them into it :ph34r:

EDIT: Indian Cricket League Thread

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ah fair enough, well who cares about the cricket being played, it's the politics of the thing that are interesting :ph34r:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Hopefully for once someone other than the BCCI could cop the flak for this. :ph34r: It could be argued that the West Indies' refusal to play Pakistan at Abu Dabhi would have been the straw that broke the camels back as far as MoYo is concerned. Quite possible that he would have hung on if there was Test cricket to be played in the immediate future.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

EDIT: And furthermore, I'd argue that the severe drop in quality of Bangladeshi domestic cricket and the potential for players to continue to drift to the Dhaka Warriors or whoever they are is a lot more significant than losing two international "stars".
Richard said:
I$C$C's executives have no power to influence anything about the matter. It's all about what individual boards want.
Obviously not much can be done now. But the ICC should have definately been more circumspect & stricter on national boards with the Indian tycoons in the IPL/ICL & Standford with these 20/20 tournaments. If they can't control it who will, they are the games governing body FFS.

In football currently a lot of those crazy rich arabian oil men have been keen to buy up clubs & create an empire etc. But Seep Blatter & Platini (although he is always picking on English football) have made it pretty clear they won't tolerate it.

The had no issue with the ICC sanctioning the IPL because lets be frank nowhere else in the world has the money to run such a tournament, but it should have been constructed much like the EPL where you get the best players in the world playing together.

Not that stupid rule where only 4 International players could play per game. Why couldn't the best Indian players on merit along with the best Int'l players make up an XI?. Plus don't get me started on the equal nonsense the ECB has proposed to do in 2010.

Last edited:

cricman

International 12th Man

If the Dhaka Warriors win the ICL, looks like they have a really good chance, theres gonna be a Chittagong or Sylhet team. Thats what scares me more.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What is that you find so cringe-worthy of BCCI, that is affecting the game as compared to before? If anything, they are ensuring a steady flow of Indian money into the ICC coffers which in turn is facilitating development of cricket. Every good story needs a villain, so it is the monopolistic BCCI is made one. And when the real reasons for the BCCI hate comes out, it is more due to perception than actual analysis. And while ever calls for "BCCI's leadership failure", there is no alternative pointed out rather than vague words.
The BCCI are certainly not ensuring the vast sums they have flowing in are used in the best manner, I thought that was pretty much accepted as fact. Cricket administrators as a rule, down the years, have been poor at investment at lower levels, with many of the top dogs simply being selfish and keeping as much as they can for themselves.

If the BCCI lost some power, by whatever means, cricket could potentially benefit - there is simply no doubt about this whatsoever. One party having a monopoly is simply never, ever a good idea.

The ideal situation is pretty obvious - a strong ICC, whose executives are empowered to make decisions, whose executives are the right people who make the right decisions, and an ICC board made-up of national boards whose only interests are for the game, and not self-serving. Pretty well none of this has ever been the case at any point in cricket history, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea.
The Test and county game was govorned by the TCCB, the recreational game by some other govorning body whose name I forget, and World cricket by MCC.
I don't give a damn about ECB whoring out to Stanford. That is purely an arrangement between them.
The suggestion that they were any different to the BCCSL and PCB suggests otherwise. As I say, both are pretty cringeworthy, but needs must.
In hindsight, everyone can say that.
It isn't hindsight, if you read the right writers people have been talking about the potential of the IPL idea (and the associated Champions League) for ages. 6 or 7 years at least - I first heard it mentioned in 2001.
Now all boards are working overtime to develop their own PLs. But the fact is that India was the pioneer in finding a might marketing and business model in 20-20. And a tournament of such scale could be sustained only in India, where the market is humoungus.
Don't disagree with that, can perfectly easily see this PL lark not working at all anywhere else.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hopefully for once someone other than the BCCI could cop the flak for this. :ph34r: It could be argued that the West Indies' refusal to play Pakistan at Abu Dabhi would have been the straw that broke the camels back as far as MoYo is concerned. Quite possible that he would have hung on if there was Test cricket to be played in the immediate future.
The BCCI should take no blame for people going to the ICL, that's the fault of Zee's not caring about the game and purely about getting cricket for their station (same as Packer and Nine 30 years ago).

Seems the Mohammad Yousuf ICL saga is far from straightforward, and that there are a great many things impacting on the issue. I don't think any one thing is more than another.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Obviously not much can be done now. But the ICC should have definately been more circumspect & stricter on national boards with the Indian tycoons in the IPL/ICL & Standford with these 20/20 tournaments. If they can't control it who will, they are the games governing body FFS.
The ICC is not a govorning body, that is and always has been a complete fallacy. The ICC is controlled by the national boards - and thanks to the BCCI's clout, it basically has the power to gain the support of enough other national boards to essentially have complete control.

There is nothing any ICC executive could have done about the matter. ICC executives do not run the game, the ICC board does (and the BCCI have a monopoly over the board).

Langeveldt

Soutie
Damn that is a big loss.. i stil don't know why he joined ICL..
Money, and the fact that nobody wants to play a test match in Pakistan? I'd usually never have any sympathy with anyone who wants to play rebel T20 unless they were incredibly poor or without the oppertunity to play regular test cricket, I guess Mo Yo satisfies one of those criteria