• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Over Rates: Is there an answer ?

pasag

RTDAS
Personally I think the best solution is to have analyst sit through a couple of Test series and find out exactly where time is being lost, by timing everything. Once they identify the source of the problem, which is clearly not clear cut (is it the bowlers? batsmen? captains? Even people here can't agree) it will be much easier to solve, given sides are serious about it (and you imagine they would be once Ponting gets banned).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally I think the best solution is to have analyst sit through a couple of Test series and find out exactly where time is being lost, by timing everything. Once they identify the source of the problem, which is clearly not clear cut (is it the bowlers? batsmen? captains? Even people here can't agree) it will be much easier to solve, given sides are serious about it (and you imagine they would be once Ponting gets banned).
Word

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If it was outside the captain's control, they wouldn't mysteriously be able to get caught up on six-seven overs within a session though. The fact they do says a lot to me.

But I'm fine with analyzing it and putting down some exact numbers.

Midwinter

State Captain
Remember that in ODI's few teams have trouble bowling 50 overs in three hours which include wickets falling, 3rd umpire referrals and drinks breaks.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
One day Ill get around to a proper reply to this. Fair to say though I think overrates are generally a non-issue.

But talking about time loss, stop having the bowlers at fine leg. Its the walking back and forth between overs that takes forever. The days of quicks in the slips or at square leg speeded things up a lot.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It'd certainly not hurt anyone to conduct such a reconniassence. (Can't remember if that's the right spelling, my bet's on not, and CBA to check)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
One day Ill get around to a proper reply to this. Fair to say though I think overrates are generally a non-issue.
The problem is the prospect of people deliberately not bowling overs to favor themselves, which is a very negative tactic. And the fact that waiting 2 minutes between deliveries is ridiculous for the spectators.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
People who think over rates as they are today are a non issue are deluding themselves.

A very pertinent anecdote involving Clarrie Grimmett and Monty Noble:

During this period he (Grimmett) was once stopped in his tracks by M.A. Noble, his captain. 'D'you think you're the only one playing in this game?' said the great man. Clarrie was taken aback. He asked how he had offended. 'Don't you know there is a bowler on at the other end?' pursued Noble. 'Yes,' said Clarrie, 'but what's that to do with me?' He was told that the fast bowler at the other end hardly had time to put his sweater on before he had to take it off again. The little chap was taking 1 1/2 minutes to bowl a six-ball over. He was instructed henceforth to wait down the pitch and to walk back more slowly to his mark. How proud Noble would be today to see the doctrine so widely accepted.

Precambrian

Banned
People who think over rates as they are today are a non issue are deluding themselves.

During this period he (Grimmett) was once stopped in his tracks by M.A. Noble, his captain. 'D'you think you're the only one playing in this game?' said the great man. Clarrie was taken aback. He asked how he had offended. 'Don't you know there is a bowler on at the other end?' pursued Noble. 'Yes,' said Clarrie, 'but what's that to do with me?' He was told that the fast bowler at the other end hardly had time to put his sweater on before he had to take it off again. The little chap was taking 1 1/2 minutes to bowl a six-ball over. He was instructed henceforth to wait down the pitch and to walk back more slowly to his mark. How proud Noble would be today to see the doctrine so widely accepted.
Something Ponting would have told Clarke, given his extreme speed to get thru overs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

There's absolutely no doubt whatsoever that over-rates today are pitiful by the standards of the 1930s.

As just one example, consider this game. You wonder how a three-day Test ever got a result in this day-and-age, don't you, really? It's because in those days, they got through more than 500 overs in three days. That particular Test, which had a result, so therefore had less than three full days' play (though surely not THAT much less) saw 506 overs bowled. That's probably about 170 overs per day. That's more than twice what you often get these days. It's not far short of twice what is essentially the maximum (ie, 90 overs) these days!