• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Over Rates: Is there an answer ?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just think how much more of the game you would see if they bowled an extra 5 overs a day.

What's next, 80 overs in a day or 70 ?
Why not? It's obvious when captains are needlessly wasting time. There doesn't have to be a set mark. Agree with what Matt says above me, but making sure everyone gets 90 overs in every day by hook or by crook isn't the solution.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I agree. If we're in a situation where captains regularly have to bowl bowlers they wouldn't otherwise bowl to get through the overs, we're going the wrong way about it.
I was going to say this, but it probably would have looked utterly bias :p

Entirely agree though. I honestly don't see why they can't just play the full 90 overs, it's to the fielding teams disadvantage if they're in the field for longer periods of time than necessary.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd prefer captains to bowl their better bowlers and not quite get through all the overs. Part-time spinners with defensive fields just to get through them isn't cricket.
Yeah, I agree. If we're in a situation where captains regularly have to bowl bowlers they wouldn't otherwise bowl to get through the overs, we're going the wrong way about it.
This isn't the sort of stuff that needs to be looked at. Unneccessarily long breaks between deliveries and overs is the problem, not the style of bowling.

Matt79

Global Moderator

Entirely agree though. I honestly don't see why they can't just play the full 90 overs, it's to the fielding teams disadvantage if they're in the field for longer periods of time than necessary.
Stuff like light always ends up interfering - they won't be able to consistently play much past 5 at this venue...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

In some parts of the cricketing world there isn't enough daylight to just carry on regardless of the time.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
* Use more then 1 ball like in Football, so when a ball gets hit for four or six the umpire gives the ball to the bowler and we are back in action straight away.

Johnners

Stuff like light always ends up interfering - they won't be able to consistently play much past 5 at this venue...
I think most would agree that the rules regarding the light in test cricket are a joke. I was banking on the fact they'd be changed as well, because that's about as likely the the ICC doing something worthwhile about the overrates.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think most would agree that the rules regarding the light in test cricket are a joke. I was banking on the fact they'd be changed as well, because that's about as likely the the ICC doing something worthwhile about the overrates.
I was watching a T20 cup game this year where the light was fading, and the umpires decided to stay on and get a result. Soon after someone was hit on grill by a bouncer they'd failed to pick up and their nose was broken.

The idea of "offering" the light to the batsmen is a complete joke, if it's dangerous it's dangerous and noone should play. But i don't think that rule change will lead to us actually getting more play in...

Johnners

As long as umpires are offering light whilst there are 2 spinners operating, the "light" rules are a joke.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This will never happen in today's TV coverage orientated world, but I would not allow them to have lunch or tea until they finish 30 overs in the previous session. If they run overtime, lunch/tea gets cut by the same amount. Tough love. :laugh:

Surely the prospect of no lunch would make all players go a bit faster.
I work quicker if I know it's the only way I'm going to get a lunch break!

Bit harsh on the batsmen though!

Johnners

Indeed

EDIT: Note, this is not an excuse for Ponting, but it has highlighted this point

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Penalty should not be financial. They don't care about losing a match fee if its going to save Tests.

Penalty should be runs. If the opposition is scoring at 4 runs an over, and you are six overs behind, the opposition should have 24 runs added to their tally as extras. That'll stop it mighty quick, if during the course of the game, you're giving away 50-60 runs.
I think that the possibility of teams losing a contest due to over rates cheapens the contest of Test cricket specifically. Over-rates are a problem, but I think that the financial punishments should be far more strict. For example, an average below 14.3 overs per over (given the context, as I'll talk about below) results in a 95% match fee fine for a captain. If captains start earning **** all, then they may think twice about wasting time.

Also, the context must be taken into account. Australia's slow over rate is detrimental to them in this game and so why should they be punished for it. They should be allowed to push for the win even if it takes extra time because it is their time to waste.

Precambrian

Banned
Let me ask this. Why is Ponting always at the receiving end of law and not others? That means, Ponting has definitely got a problem. And this is not the first time he had this. So his own problem.

Precambrian

Banned
I think that the possibility of teams losing a contest due to over rates cheapens the contest of Test cricket specifically. Over-rates are a problem, but I think that the financial punishments should be far more strict. For example, an average below 14.3 overs per over (given the context, as I'll talk about below) results in a 95% match fee fine for a captain. If captains start earning **** all, then they may think twice about wasting time.

Also, the context must be taken into account. Australia's slow over rate is detrimental to them in this game and so why should they be punished for it. They should be allowed to push for the win even if it takes extra time because it is their time to waste.
No crap. Indians could always argue that their momentum is getting affected by piss poor over rates. But apart from that, just because Aussies were having a problem, they'd not cope the fine? Would you be making an argument had India were trying to delay things??

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This isn't the sort of stuff that needs to be looked at. Unneccessarily long breaks between deliveries and overs is the problem, not the style of bowling.
Indeed, but as we saw today, captains don't rectify the problem by minimising the breaks between balls and overs - they carry on as they like for hours and then rush through a stack of overs via spin to even it up.

This phenomena is, for mine, a much bigger problem than the slow over-rates themselves.

irfan

State Captain
There was a long delay early in the morning session because the umpires felt that the rather new ball had lost its shape. As they pored over the box of replacements, Ponting used the time-out to chat with Brett Lee; Virender Sehwag decided he needed a new bat to whack the bowling; and Matthew Hayden curiously called for replacement socks.
Ridiculous. This 5 overs in to the morning session as well