• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best spinning combination since 1950

The best spin-combo since 1950

• Alf Valentine / Sonny Ramadhin (WI)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anil Kumble / Venkatapathy Raju / Rajesh Chauhan (Ind)

• Derek Underwood / Ray Illingworth (Eng)

• Saqlain Mushtaq / Mushtaq Ahmed (Pak)

• Richie Benaud / Ian Johnson (Aus)

• Richie Benaud / Lindsay Kline (Aus)

• Subash Gupte/ Vinoo Mankad / Ghulam Ahmed (Ind)

• Intikhab Alam / Pervez Sajjad (Pak)

• Total voters

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm it reads as

Marc asked
"So you're trying to tell us that the likes of Max Walker, Chris Old, Simon Davis, Mike Whitney, Adam Dale, Vic Marks and John Lever are all better bowlers than ANY current bowler?"
You replied
"Most of them, yes, rather obviously, but not Dale"
:laugh:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Any reason for the post-1950 timeframe? Because the turn of the century Saffies and O'Reilly and Grimmett would be strong contenders for this...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm it reads as

Marc asked
"So you're trying to tell us that the likes of Max Walker, Chris Old, Simon Davis, Mike Whitney, Adam Dale, Vic Marks and John Lever are all better bowlers than ANY current bowler?"
You replied
"Most of them, yes, rather obviously, but not Dale"
Hmm, you could read it that way I guess (and I suppose only Neily Pickmeister has been for the last 4 years - and loving doing so, naturally). However, the "most of them apart from Dale" bit refers to the last line of Marc's post (rare to see a Marc post being more than a one-liner I know).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Any reason for the post-1950 timeframe? Because the turn of the century Saffies and O'Reilly and Grimmett would be strong contenders for this...
Presumably the fact that those two were so strong they were almost certainly stronger than anyone else.

As it is, Lock and Laker - given they were so good they had conditions tailor-made for them as often as possible, not that it was even neccessary to try sometimes given rules and weather conditions of the time (there were any number of notoriously wet summers in the 1950s) - really were way more successful than anyone else in the timeframe in question. I dread to think how effective the Bedi-Chandra-Prasanna triumvarate would've been had they had such an advantage.

Precambrian

Banned
Presumably the fact that those two were so strong they were almost certainly stronger than anyone else.

As it is, Lock and Laker - given they were so good they had conditions tailor-made for them as often as possible, not that it was even neccessary to try sometimes given rules and weather conditions of the time (there were any number of notoriously wet summers in the 1950s) - really were way more successful than anyone else in the timeframe in question. I dread to think how effective the Bedi-Chandra-Prasanna triumvarate would've been had they had such an advantage.
More to do with the fact that pre-ww2 cricket was much different from post-war, and also considering the fact that cricket was generally limited to Aus, Eng and SA during that period. Then, as Richard mentioned, the obvious case of the nature of uncovered pitches. And then, the case of timeless tests.

Finally, the ease of analysis. :) I was :wacko: after going through the cricinfo statsguru tables.

Precambrian

Banned
Glad atleast one person has gone for Qasim/Qadir duo. They are underrated imho. Esp considering the fact that they operated in an era, when Pakistan bowling was very much Imran and spin.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't believe Chandra did not spin the ball more out of the two - but both were said to have spun it less than your "typical" (read Warne or Grimmett) wristspinner, and also to have been much quicker through the air than most spinners - similar in pace to a fingerspinner like Derek Underwood.
Chandra was very quick. Quicker than Underwood. Comparison would be very much better with O'Riely's pace, where he sent them close to medium pace.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hmm, you could read it that way I guess (and I suppose only Neily Pickmeister has been for the last 4 years - and loving doing so, naturally). However, the "most of them apart from Dale" bit refers to the last line of Marc's post (rare to see a Marc post being more than a one-liner I know).
I'm going to keep reading it like that.