• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Player to Play 50 Tests

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Always think someone's talking about me when I spot someone mentioning Martyn in a post tbh, must be because I have a huge ego

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Which, of course, is what Giles should have played.

As for his being used "negatively" for most of his Tests, well, yeah, he was - but it was all he was capable of doing. If you'd tried using him in an "attacking" vein (whatever that means - more close catchers or whatever) that wouldn't have worked either.

When the chance was there to attack (ie, when the pitch turned) Giles generally took advantage.
You say that, but i think on a lot of pitches Giles made them look like they had no turn. I've never been sure whether he played on a lot of pitches with no turn or he just couldn't spin a ball, but i fancy it's somewhere in between.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He certainly could spin the ball. Not quite as much as Monty Panesar or Graeme Swann (and in a slightly different way as regards his angle on the seam), but he certainly got it to go plenty on the right surface - more than some other fingerspinners.

As has been pointed-out, there are certain pitches which will turn appreciably for spinners like the above and not much for Giles, but these are not that many.

I reckon there'd be 3 or 4 pitches at best that Giles played on where he got nothing out of which MSP and Swann would've been able to get something out of.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He certainly could spin the ball. Not quite as much as Monty Panesar or Graeme Swann (and in a slightly different way as regards his angle on the seam), but he certainly got it to go plenty on the right surface - more than some other fingerspinners.

As has been pointed-out, there are certain pitches which will turn appreciably for spinners like the above and not much for Giles, but these are not that many.

I reckon there'd be 3 or 4 pitches at best that Giles played on where he got nothing out of which MSP and Swann would've been able to get something out of.
Yeah, made that point before regarding his success in Sri Lanka compared to Monty.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Greg Matthews and Daren Powell averaged 48 and 47 with the ball respectively.
Matthews was the best batsman in 1991-92 Aus vs SL series while all the big names except Border kept failing. And he spearheaded the spin department while Warne has been taken to the task by SL batsmen (Mind you, Warne was very inexperianced by then). IMO, Matthews is not that bad, because he had won a series for his side.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Matthews was the best batsman in 1991-92 Aus vs SL series while all the big names except Border kept failing. And he spearheaded the spin department while Warne has been taken to the task by SL batsmen (Mind you, Warne was very inexperianced by then). IMO, Matthews is not that bad, because he had won a series for his side.
Also a big part of history being the bowler in the famous tied test.

I wish we had a Greg Matthews this series TBH..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Much as Matthews may actually be a better spinner than Cameron White domestically, I reckon if White has a reasonable-length international career, Matthews is the likeliest man he'll emulate.