• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in West Indies

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He's actually averaged close to 35 at 3 and has his highest Test score.
I call 'lies, damned lies and statistics' - it's only 'nearly 35' including the current innings.

Nope, can't have that.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
luckyeddie said:
I call 'lies, damned lies and statistics' - it's only 'nearly 35' including the current innings.

Nope, can't have that.
:P He's also played at 3 quite alot in his FC career.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I noticed Billy Bowden has been umpiring the Sri Lanka Series. Recently he made a huge rise in the umpiring rankings according to the ICC so has he been umpiring well enough during this series?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:
I noticed Billy Bowden has been umpiring the Sri Lanka Series. Recently he made a huge rise in the umpiring rankings according to the ICC so has he been umpiring well enough during this series?
In my mind, Billy Bowden has made that step up that now has him in the absolute top bracket of test umpires.

From what I have seen, he has certainly been impressive (and, of course, the crowds just love his signals and mannerisms).

There have been one or two times in the current game when we could have been heading close to an unsavoury 'incident' - and both Bowden and Harper have been very quick to step in.

Then there was the 'catch' - Sarwan hit the ball at short leg - it ricochetted to Atapattu who took the catch. The umpires conferred and gave it out (later replays indicated that it was not out) - and the umpires came on TV to say 'whoops, sorry, we got it wrong'. Most refreshing.

Top notch, IMO.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Daren Ganga got himself out playing an almost Clarke-esque heave across the line, plumb LBW. Awful shot.
Which Clarke is that? ;)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
:P He's also played at 3 quite alot in his FC career.
I remember when the WIndies were touring over here in England in 2000 and they had Griffiths opening with Hinds at 3 when Hinds opened for Barbados and Griffiths didn't...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Tim said:
He made a couple of shockers in the second ODI and missed a tough one in the Test but he's been fairly solid. I wouldn't say top notch, but he's been good.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Adrian Griffiths I have never heard of. Adrian Griffith however, plays for Barbados and batted 3 alot because Wallace and Campbell generally open for the Bajans.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Adrian Griffiths I have never heard of. Adrian Griffith however, plays for Barbados and batted 3 alot because Wallace and Campbell generally open for the Bajans.
Right, my story was a bit dazed and confused like myself most of the time...but we got there in the end :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If he made that sort of score against a good bowling attack, we'd sit up and take note.

Against Sri Murali it's less of an achievement.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Oh good point Marc. It's not like Lara's ever scored any of his 8000+ runs at an average of 51 against any decent bowlers.:rolleyes:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
If he made that sort of score against a good bowling attack, we'd sit up and take note.

Against Sri Murali it's less of an achievement.
Murali on a spinning track and you say it's easy? Marc, unless your intentionally trying to look like an idiot read what you said and correct it. 177* in any Test is a superb score. Anyway look at Sri Lanka's bowling lineup and although it's not amazing it's hardly Bangladesh or Zimbabwe is it? Vaas is the best left armer in the world and Murali is the best spinner. Is that your arguement I see flying out of the window? I guess it is.

Like Tim De Lisle you are trying to be controversial for the sake of it, except his job is to sell books, yours is not.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sri Lanka's attack in that game is weak - Samaraweera 11 wickets in 11 games at 35, Nissanka 5 wickets in 3 games at 48 and Lokuarachchi 5 in 3 at 52 also bowled, and Vaas' Test record, although good, is nowhere near his One Day record, where he is a superb bowler.

That innings of Lara's will not too much credit when PwC look at it (high scoring game, weak opponents)