4 8.89%
  • Daniel Vettori

11 24.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Pick FIVE bowlers for the 1990-2008 ODI XI

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    So you would rather have your top bowlers give you 1 for 35 than 3 for 50?
    Mostly, yep. 10-50-3 is usually a poor spell.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

KickUps Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You have got to be kidding surely. 15 runs is a small price to pay for 2 extra wickets

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Yeah, absolutely.

The easiest thing would have been to say "oops, I forgot Lee and Warne and maybe Waqar. My bad"

Instead this madness is attempted to be justified as if there is a logic to it.

Including Harbhajan and not Warne is simply wrong.

There are also 2 people that have taken a boatload of wickets and have a strike rate of under 30. Lee and Shoaib Akhtar, neither of whom make the list.

To leave Lee off the list (amazing career and still going) makes no sense.

Also Id have Shoaib listed ahead of a few of the guys there.
    I've given the reasons, which are not madness, for the exclusion of all. Including Harbhajan and not Warne was an error (should've left both out) and I don't want any bowlers with poor economy-rates, like Shoaib Akhtar, Waqar Younis and Brett Lee. There is a perfectly consistent logic to it - any bowler here must either have a very good economy-rate or be able to bat.

I've chosen-

Bond: For raw pace, as well as accuracy. Not quite the one to last too long, but this is an ideal situation, so Bond makes it. Decent fielder for a bowler so good and also a more than useful lower-order batsman.

McGrath: Water-tight, accurate, smart and very fit. He's also a very effective fielder on the boundary. It sure helps when he's been leading a bowling attack of a World Champion team.

Pollock: Smart swing bowler who gives little away. He'll then come back and plunder a lot of runs with his big hitting in the final overs. Also effective on the field. Possibly one of the most under-rated all-rounders of all time, and surely one of the best strike bowler all-rounders.

Muralitharan: Frontline spinner. Enough said. Did I forget? No Warne in the list.

Flintoff: Not quite strike bowler quality, but capable of playing as one. Bowls fast, gets stifling bounce and can keep a line and length for some time. He's also one of the more responsible, yet powerful batsmen, and excellent in the slips.

Missing out-

Wasim Akram: Actually, he's the one player I don't mind swapping for a bowler I picked- Flintoff. He's surely the best ODI bowler of all time in some circles, and an under-rated lower-order striker. His batting, however, didn't live up to expectations and he wasn't much good on the field- and this is for ODI selection.

Daniel Vettori: Could have been the second spinner, but missed out to Flintoff, who's a better bowler. Of course, when you try to put the pieces together to build a team, Vettori isn't far behind.

Ambrose: He could have made it purely on bowling alone, ahead of McGrath.

Donald: I could have taken out Bond for Donald, since he's more experienced, and equally injury-prone, but then, maybe an oversight. One thing I don't mind changing.

So I'd have Donald and Vettori or even Ambrose on the bench, after the first five.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sanga1337 View Post
    You have got to be kidding surely. 15 runs is a small price to pay for 2 extra wickets
    It depends when the 2 wickets come. If they're meaningless middle-overs or end-of-innings wickets, the 15 runs less is far, far better.

If they're all top-order wickets at the start, then we'll talk. But mostly that is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    Haha, gotta laugh at Harbhajan being better than Warne, a guy who pretty much won a world cup off his own bowling and put Australia in the final of another. It's that 0.8 different in economy rate I supposed, as compared to the 10 odd run difference in average and massive gulf in strike rate.

Not going to bother voting in a poll that doesn't including Warne or Lee anyway, given some of the names that are included.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Simon Champion!
    But what you are forgetting is that most of these were/are top(strike)bowlers for theit respective sides and not support bowlers.Batsmen most of the time could/can have afforded to play their quota of overs for 35-45 runs.
    So by mantaining their wickets against strike bowlers they could have easily attacked the second line bowlers or the fill in bowlers who were not top top notch and compensated for top bowlers.This is still standard practice in ODI's.
    Thus it is/was important for these bowlers to attack more than defend and make inroads into the opposition batting so they would be under pressure not attack the other defensive bowlers.
    Therefore to me it is important for the strike bowlers to pick up 2 more wickets(even by giving 15 more runs)Than to contain those runs and let the batsmen stay.

99*
    Rubbish. MacGill, Lee and Hayden are subjects I've tried to steer clear of as I'm sick of the cluelessness of certain people and the ridiculous overrating of them.

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with Brett Lee - I won't be having him in a best ODI team that has anything to do with me. If people want him in, they don't really understand how ODI cricket works IMO.
    Now I understand why people dislike you. You've made a thread asking people to vote for who they think would make the best bowling attack from the years 1990-2008. You didn't say anything about us having to pick based upon your strict standards so of course people are going to pick who they want and not who you think should be there.
    Last edited by 99*; 29-10-2008 at 05:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey
    She tells me the thing will flatten out, I say "Like your chest?" Bad mistake.

Not good enough for me. ODIs are about economy-rates, not wicket-taking.

Primarily.
    Lots of people disagree though. It's a matter of opinion.

It's perfectly fine to make that argument when voting on a poll, but when actually creating the poll you should include options you think people will vote for. You may think Craig Matthews was better than Warne but did you seriously expect more people to want to vote for him than Warne?

Your specific opinions shouldn't be reflected in the poll options as much as they are.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

But what you are forgetting is that most of these were/are top(strike)bowlers for theit respective sides and not support bowlers.Batsmen most of the time could/can have afforded to play their quota of overs for 35-45 runs.
    So by mantaining their wickets against strike bowlers they could have easily attacked the second line bowlers or the fill in bowlers who were not top top notch and compensated for top bowlers.This is still standard practice in ODI's.
    Thus it is/was important for these bowlers to attack more than defend and make inroads into the opposition batting so they would be under pressure not attack the other defensive bowlers.
    Therefore to me it is important for the strike bowlers to pick up 2 more wickets(even by giving 15 more runs)Than to contain those runs and let the batsmen stay.
    The best bowlers (ie, most on this list) took wickets with great regularity without having high economy-rates.

There is no place for bowlers who cannot keep their economy-rates down in a best-team-available.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Lots of people disagree though. It's a matter of opinion.

It's perfectly fine to make that argument when voting on a poll, but when actually creating the poll you should include options you think people will vote for. You may think Craig Matthews was better than Warne but did you seriously expect more people to want to vote for him than Warne?

Your specific opinions shouldn't be reflected in the poll options as much as they are.
    Well as I said, the XI is being put together by me. If people want to refuse to vote in protest, that's up to them. There's still been plenty of votes, so it's not a massive problem.

I'd probably have done best not to have included Craig Matthews and Harbhajan Singh if I was going to exclude Warne, though, yeah. Just a load of hassle for no good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by 99* View Post
    Now I understand why people dislike you. You've made a thread asking people to vote for who they think would make the best bowling attack from the years 1990-2008. You didn't say anything about us having to pick based upon your strict standards so of course people are going to pick who they want and not who you think should be there.
    I mentioned this a long time ago when I first started the idea.

A fantastic debate in such a sad state...

Simon Champion!
    The best bowlers (ie, most on this list) took wickets with great regularity without having high economy-rates.

There is no place for bowlers who cannot keep their economy-rates down in a best-team-available.
    But some of those on the list took wickets less regularly than those not on the list with slightly better economy rates.

But some of those on the list took wickets less regularly than those not on the list with slightly better economy rates.
    Gavin Larsen > Brett Lee and Waqar Younis as a ODI bowler.

And no, nothing will change my stance on that.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information