• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick FIVE bowlers for the 1990-2008 ODI XI

Five bowlers for the 1990-2008 ODI XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Murali is a much better bowler than vettori:

Murali's stats (23 average):

Vettori (32 avg):
But modern Vettori>>>>>>early-career Vettori. If you look at their bowling since 2005, the difference probably won't be so much as to overwhelm Vettori's batting- if you feel the team you've picked needs it.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Gavin Larsen > Brett Lee and Waqar Younis as a ODI bowler.

And no, nothing will change my stance on that.
Then you should have had mark ealham,Alan mullaly,kapil dev and paul reiffell on that list.

Perhaps even akram raza.:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Then you should have had mark ealham,Alan mullaly,kapil dev and paul reiffell on that list.

Perhaps even akram raza.:laugh:
No, ODI-standard teams only.

And yes, I did consider Ealham and Mullally and both were indeed excellent bowlers. Left them off only because the nonsense we've had so far would've been even greater had I put them on.

Kapil Dev I left off because he's a ODI player of the '70s and '80s overwhelmingly, not of the 1990s and 2000s.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'd take Ambrose, Lee, Warne, McGrath and Wasim thanks, with apologies to Pollock, Bond, Bracken and Murali.

In reality where you'd only want four real bowlers, with a couple of batting allrounders to get the other ten overs out of the way. Some combination of Jayasuriya, M. Waugh, S. Waugh, Tendulkar and Symonds would be fine in that role, or maybe Flintoff at 7. One of Lee or Ambrose to miss probably in that case.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
No, ODI-standard teams only.

And yes, I did consider Ealham and Mullally and both were indeed excellent bowlers. Left them off only because the nonsense we've had so far would've been even greater had I put them on.

Kapil Dev I left off because he's a ODI player of the '70s and '80s overwhelmingly, not of the 1990s and 2000s.
You picked mathews ,but left out dev.Bit strange that considering dev was a better batsmen.

As for leaving raza,deepak patel ,mullaly and ealham out because there would have been disagreement with it ,just dismisses your argument that this was your poll and should be based on your choices.Which in reality it should not as it dismisses the point of having a poll.
You could either have given free options to everyone including those not mentioned by you due to economy rates only,or you could have started the poll with completely your options only at which we could have laughed completely.:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You picked mathews ,but left out dev.Bit strange that considering dev was a better batsmen.
No it's not. I quite clearly stated why I left Kapil Dev out - because he was a player of the 1970s and 1980s.
As for leaving raza,deepak patel ,mullaly and ealham out because there would have been disagreement with it
I left-out Raza and Dipak Patel for entirely different reasons - to do with not bowling enough.
just dismisses your argument that this was your poll and should be based on your choices.Which in reality it should not as it dismisses the point of having a poll.
You could either have given free options to everyone including those not mentioned by you due to economy rates only,or you could have started the poll with completely your options only at which we could have laughed completely.:laugh:
The idea is to give reasonable options - leave-out those who would be selected for no justifiable reason (eg, Lee and Waqar Younis) and allow free rein over those who actually were among the best bowlers.

The point of having a poll is to let people decide from those who I'd place as the top 15-20 or so. Not to let people decide from every bowler ever to send down a ball in a ODI.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd take Ambrose, Lee, Warne, McGrath and Wasim thanks, with apologies to Pollock, Bond, Bracken and Murali.

In reality where you'd only want four real bowlers, with a couple of batting allrounders to get the other ten overs out of the way. Some combination of Jayasuriya, M. Waugh, S. Waugh, Tendulkar and Symonds would be fine in that role, or maybe Flintoff at 7. One of Lee or Ambrose to miss probably in that case.
You should never go into a ODI with only four front-line bowlers, not when the theory is that you'd be facing an exact copy of your own XI, or Mars XI, or whatever.

The likes of the part-time bowlers mentioned above would be utterly collared almost every game by a batting unit from the top shelf. You must have five front-line bowlers.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
This is possibly your lowest moment ever on this forum Richard. The idea of making a "poll" but not allowing people to select the options they prefer is absolutely ridiculous.

It's akin to C_C making a thread about choosing your World XI but refusing to allow people to select players from before the 1960s because of his theory about the professionalism of the game. No doubt in his view someone like Hobbs would never be worthy of an all-time XI, but in the views of others he would be, so any poll excluding Hobbs would be ridiculous.

The same thing applies here. Your crackpot theories about economy rates in ODIs are all well and good when you argue them as your point of view, however annoying your constant repetition can be at times, but this is just sad. If you aren't interested in having people actually express their views about the game, feel free to not make a poll requesting that they do so. I doubt you'd find a single person on the site that would defend your intent in this instance, blatantly obvious as it is.

Go troll somewhere else.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No Warne or Lee? You must be high or trying to troll.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
This is possibly your lowest moment ever on this forum Richard. The idea of making a "poll" but not allowing people to select the options they prefer is absolutely ridiculous.

It's akin to C_C making a thread about choosing your World XI but refusing to allow people to select players from before the 1960s because of his theory about the professionalism of the game. No doubt in his view someone like Hobbs would never be worthy of an all-time XI, but in the views of others he would be, so any poll excluding Hobbs would be ridiculous.

The same thing applies here. Your crackpot theories about economy rates in ODIs are all well and good when you argue them as your point of view, however annoying your constant repetition can be at times, but this is just sad. If you aren't interested in having people actually express their views about the game, feel free to not make a poll requesting that they do so. I doubt you'd find a single person on the site that would defend your intent in this instance, blatantly obvious as it is.

Go troll somewhere else.
As much as I hate to admit it, I would have to agree with you on most points.

Status
Not open for further replies.