• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your FTP

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
More history and tradition.
There is, but that's little use if the quality is not there, and it emphatically isn't with West Indies at the moment. England have been bad, often, in recent years, but there's not been a genuine contest between England and West Indies since 2000 and doesn't appear likely to be in the upcoming series either.

England-SL currently offers far more of a prospect of a contest than England-WI. So to does England-NZ for that matter. Pakistan is a bit different at the moment in that no-one really knows what the immediate future holds for them.

There is no way I currently want to play a series of longer than three Tests against West Indies. It does no-one any good. If and when West Indies become a serious powerhouse again, then I'd certainly be in favour - and ditto in the case of WI-vs-Australia and WI-vs-SA.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course.

Its a far better, long term rivalry that even when unbalanced keeps the fans interested and has some explosive cricket.
SL certainly don't come-up short on the explosive cricket front. It'd be hard to argue that WI-Eng keeps more fans interested than SL-Eng because even in recent times Wisden Trophy crowds have far outnumbered Eng-SL crowds, but I don't foresee that continuing for all that much longer unless things change - ie, England get worse or WI get better.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
This assumes no-one wants to play Tests against Bangladesh, which brings up the Bangladesh debate again. Still, if they're not included:

vs Australia: 5 Tests
vs South Africa: 3 Tests
vs India: 3 Tests
vs Pakistan: 3 Tests
vs Sri Lanka: 3 Tests
vs New Zealand: 2 Tests
vs West Indies: 2 Tests

Personally, I'm of the opinion that every Test series should be three or five Tests, so as to encourage positive cricket and decisive series results, but that's just me. Didn't want to have us playing a one-off Test against anyone, so I thought WI and NZ were the most deserving of only being allowed to play us twice. :p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bangladesh, 21, would allow us to break the Aussie win streak with a bit of luck

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You just know that England would find some way to mess even that up.

I reckon they'd have a decent chance of messing it up if it was Uganda in question.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
if 20/20 an odi start to cramp up the calendar.. then every team should play a 3 test ...part of a 6 test series.. home and away.. teams are rewareded 1 point for a home series win and 3 points for an away series win...

if you think teans shouldnt be down graded to 3 test or up graded to 3 test.. tough its called a competition.. and it should be fair and just for all..

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
For Pakistan:

India - 4
Australia - 3
England - 3
Sri Lanka - 3
West Indies - 3
New Zealand - 2
South Africa - 2
Bangladesh - 1

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For Pakistan:

India - 4
Australia - 3
England - 3
Sri Lanka - 3
West Indies - 3
New Zealand - 2
South Africa - 2
Bangladesh - 1
I'd love a traditional rivalry series to have 4-5 Tests but I reckon there's been too much India-Pakistan series recently for mine. Needs a bit of a break for it to feel special again.

For me:

Australia 5 Tests
England 3 Tests
Pakistan 3 Tests
Sri Lanka 3 Tests
South Africa 3 Tests
West Indies 2 Tests
New Zealand 2 tests
Bangladesh 1 if we can fit it in somewhere.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia:

England - 5
India - 4
South Africa - 4
New Zealand - 2
Sri Lanka - 2
West Indies - 2
Pakistan - 2

Would to prefer to make it 25, give each series at least 3 tests each.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd love a traditional rivalry series to have 4-5 Tests but I reckon there's been too much India-Pakistan series recently for mine. Needs a bit of a break for it to feel special again.
Yeah, a five-Test series every 2 years >>>>>>>>>>> a three-Test one every year.