View Poll Results: Who's the best test captain?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Allan Border

11 22.92%
  • Mark Taylor

23 47.92%
  • Steve Waugh

12 25.00%
  • Ricky Ponting

0 0%
  • Adam Gilchrist

0 0%
  • Kevin Ruud

2 4.17%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The best Australian Test Captain in the last Quarter Century

Banned

The best Australian Test Captain in the last Quarter Century

It's 24 something years since Allan Border took over Australian captaincy and started the Great Dynasty which has seen just 3 regular captains to date. So, who's been the best (not necessarily the most successful)?

Allan Robert Border (1984-94)

Captained Australia through the dark period of 1980s. Took over captaincy reluctantly from Kim Hughes, and marred by player defections to rebel team who toured SA, lost the 1985 Ashes and the 1986-87 Ashes. Started the rebuilding of the side with Bob Simpson, and captained Aus to an unexpected win in 1987 and regained the Ashes in 1989 which they retained till the end of his career. However he could not acheive a series win over Windies during his tenure and ended his career in 1994. He captained Australia in 93 tests which is a record.

Stats as captain:
    Code:
    Stats as captain

Played	Won	Lost	Tied	Drawn	Win%
    93	32	22	1	38	34%

Mark Anthony Taylor (1994-99)

Wikipedia says, "In contrast to his predecessor Allan Border, who acquired the nickname 'Captain Grumpy', Taylor won plaudits for his always cheerful and positive demeanour". Took over from AB in 1994, and continued the rebuilding of the Australian Team. Started with an away loss of 1-0 to Pakistan, Australia retained the Ashes and then famously captained them to a 2-1 victory in the Carribean, which saw them regain the Frank Worrel Trophy after a gap of 22 years, and with that the crown of World Champions. In al, he captained Australia in 50 tests, and ended up with an impressive win ratio of 52%,

Code:
    Stats as captain					

50	26	13	0	11	52%

Stephen Rodger Waugh (1999-2004)

Widely credited as the captained under which Australia peaked as a team, and virtually revolutionised Test cricket with aggressive cricket with a no-draw approach and established firmly Australia's stature as World Champions with the help of stalwarts like Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne, Ricky Ponting and Adam Gilchrist. He won test series everywhere in the world except for India, which he described as the "Final Frontier". He captained Australia in 57 tests, leading them to victory in 41 of them, including a record 16 straight wins.

Code:
    Stats as captain					

57	41	9	0	7	72%

Ricky Thomas Ponting (2004-)

Ricky Ponting inherited captaincy from Waugh in early 2004 and a team at its peak, and is perhaps the most successful captain in the history of cricket. He, however became the first captain to lose the Ashes in 2005 since Allan Border in 86-87. But Australia emphatically regained it in 2006-07 with a 5-0 whitewash, post which he lost the services of eminent players like McGrath, Warne, Langer, Gilchrist etc. He has captained Australia to wins everywhere, except India, where he is currently in the bid with a new-look team, which is in the process of rebuilding.

Code:
    Stats as captain (upto Mohali Test)

46	33	5	0	8	72%

Adam Craig Gilchrist

The wicketkeeper batsman captained Australia in 6 tests, 2 as stand-in for Steve Waugh and 4 for Ponting. Australia won 4 out of these tests, including 2 over India in 2004, which ultimately resulted them winning that series 2-1, the first time they did so since 1969.

Code:
    Stats as captain					

6	4	1	0	1	67%
    Go on, vote and pull in your thoughts.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Shane Warne IMO
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Banned
    I think Mark Taylor takes the cake, as it is under him that the pillars of modern Aussie cricket, McG, Warney, Punter etc evolved into the world beaters.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Mark Taylor has always been my favourite Australian Captain. Loved the way he played the game and captained the side. Steve Waugh comes in at a close second. Gilchrist is one of my favourite players but he didn't captain for a long enough period of time for me to evaluate his performance. So Taylor wins it overall with Waugh coming in at second place.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Tubs but Warne the best captain Aus never had.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Mark Taylor, legend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Taylor, Waugh and Border were all excellent captains

Border, whist tactically inept, singlehandedly changed the culture of Australian cricket and dragged the team back from the abyss through sheer will power

Taylor was tactically brilliant but despite a couple of great performances, was carried in the team for long stretches as a player

Waugh was tough, aggressive and led a great team from the front

I'll go for Waugh as I have the traditional Austraian belief that you pick your 11 best players and then select a captain.

Unfortunately, there were times during his reign that Taylor simply should not have been picked as a player

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Taylor pretty easily for me. The best captain I've ever seen in my time watching cricket.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

taylor easily the best, border for his inspirational leadership during a dark period in aussie cricket comes 2nd for me, waugh third...

Taylor. Second only to Cronje among all the captains I have seen.

gone for AB. for rebuilding a young team into world beaters.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Taylor for me as well, but should have been Shane Warne

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Judging purely on their Captaining skills, then yes, Taylor is ahead.
    ★★★★★

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    I took Steve Waugh, I thought he re-invented the way teams play Test cricket, it made the idea of five days for a Test seem like kids having six months off for holidays, far too long

Although he did not always seem to have a plan B
    You know it makes sense.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I took Steve Waugh, I thought he re-invented the way teams play Test cricket, it made the idea of five days for a Test seem like kids having six months off for holidays, far too long

Although he did not always seem to have a plan B
    Actually its a tough one between Border, Taylor and Waugh. They all got the team at different stages of its rise to world domination and each brought something to the entire process.

I chose Taylor because he got the team about halfway or lower. Border fought and used a lot of his personal example to push the team slowly upwards from near rock bottom. He ensured that the team did not completely disintegrate in what can be termed a cricketing 'depression' of the type West Indies cricket has faced and Lara has proved unequal to pull them out of. But Taylor made the entire team work at different levels - much higher than where he got them. Both had a job to do.

Waugh got a near finished product but gave the finishing touches which included the supreme confidence bordering on arrogance which made them play, even in the rare moments of crisis, as if they were right on top of the world with not a care in the world. It was an important job but I feel Taylor had the tougher job to do and did it completely without fuss and almost anonymously.
    Last edited by SJS; 22-10-2008 at 01:08 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information