Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: When I Was Wrong!

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    - Really thought England may have won the Ashes in 2001
    It might very well have been a very close series had England actually had the same players that had been the pillar for the success for the previous 4 series before that summer. Thorpe missed the entire series (he was safely our best batsman at the time), Vaughan was injured, Captain Hussain missed a number of tests, White was effectively useless with the ball and Giles missed a chunk of the series. I do think England get a lot of bad rap for this series, and I dont honestly think that Australia were as good a side as the one that toured India in 2004. If England had perhaps played the Ashes the summer before, things might well have been very different IMO.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

I can only think of 2 players for which I have been categorically proven wrong.

I didnt expect Gilchrist to get a single score past 50 in SL in 2003/04, but he did manage the small matter of 144 in one inning despite following the trend that I laid out for him for the rest of the series.
    I can easily put my hand up and say that I got Trescothick wrong. I did not expect the kind of performances that he put in during the series in SA in 2004 and to an extent in the Ashes in 2005. There are still some aspects of my argument on Trescothick that I still stand by, but he achieved far more than I was expecting off him at one point of his career.

EDIT: Also always thought Hick would go on to achieve far more than he ended up doing. I genuinely believe and still believe today that had he been treated fairly, he would have gone on to have had a very distinguished test match career.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Alec Stewart - totally manufactured cricketer who was no more talented than any numbers of young guys around at the time of his early fc career

Went on to have an excellent career, playing over 100 tests and, amongst other things, scored twin centuries against the Ambrose and Walsh in the Windies
    Really? Always thought Alec Stewart as being one of the best technical players of his time. He had all the shots in the game, if anything he underachieved IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Was wrong about Mahmood.
    Think one day, everything will click for Mahmood and he will finally realize the value of line and length over variation. When this day happens, he will take a bucketload of wickets, however like most bowlers this will probably happen after hes past 30 and therefore no longer in consideration for a berth in the England XI.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    There are a few things I was wrong about, that I probably haven't posted on this forum.

I thought...
    • Mathew Sinclair would be the best NZ batsmen since Crowe, become a regular (never getting dropped) and would score at least 5000 test runs (an outside chance the latter could happen, though )
    • Martin Love would also be a regular fixture in the Aussie line up and average over 50.
    • Matthew Horne would play more tests than he did and be our regular opener, averaging over 40.
    • Adam Hollioake would do much the same as Love except for England.
    • Justin Kemp would be the long term replacement for Klusener in the RSA ODI side.
    • That Dean Headley would play more tests.
    • Matthew Nicholson would also play more tests.
    • That Matthew Elliott would be the one to replace Taylor in the long term, as opposed to Langer or Hayden.
    • That Michael Bevan and Chris Harris would make test comebacks and be successful.
    • That Stuart Clark wouldn't be a successful test bowler.

Was right in thinking that Katich would eventually be recalled and not disappoint.
    Me and you both, also G. Pollock stated that he would finish with a Test ave over 50 after watching him play a Test in Sth Afr. I still can't understand why he did not make it
    You know it makes sense.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Really? Always thought Alec Stewart as being one of the best technical players of his time. He had all the shots in the game, if anything he underachieved IMO.
    Yeah, I wouldnt call him the most technical of players but he was certainly not 'manufactured'.

He was a flair player that timed the ball like a dream.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

He had his issues against spin and struggled on slower wickets against all bowlers, but his cover drives were as crisp as they got and I dont think I have seen anything more authoriative than some of his pull shots.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    He had his issues against spin and struggled on slower wickets against all bowlers, but his cover drives were as crisp as they got and I dont think I have seen anything more authoriative than some of his pull shots.
    His 2 hundreds in the same Test in Barbados (IIRC) was a thing of beauty.

He loved pace on the ball, possibly related to learning his game at the Oval.

Sorry guys, I should've pointed out that Alec and I are of roughly the same vintage ( ) and my assessment of him was made from experiences in the nets and in matches before he was fully established in the Surrey lineup

To give him credit, he had a top shelf career and that was no less than he deserved as he worked as hard at his game as anyone I've met

KickUps Champion!
    I thought that:

Dan Cullen or Cameron White would go on to be decent spinners for Australia.

Hashim Amla would never make it as a test batsman

Tino best would go on to be a good bowler for the WI

just off the top of my head

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Johnners's Avatar
    Cullen & White still could go on and be decent spinners for Australia, they've still got the bulk of their career ahead of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

KickUps Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    Cullen & White still could go on and be decent spinners for Australia, they've still got the bulk of their career ahead of them.
    Highly doubt White will go on to be anything more than a useful bowler for Australia, with his high arm action. Cullen could be a decent bowler buts its highly unlikely IMO.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    Cullen one doen't know but White isn't bad. He is a bit tall for a leg spinner which makes the trajectory a bit less enticing and the loop that much less devious. But he is promising. I wouldn't giveup on him. He needs to be handled with care. I think he should do well against South Africans, Newzealanders etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Cullen one doen't know but White isn't bad. He is a bit tall for a leg spinner which makes the trajectory a bit less enticing and the loop that much less devious. But he is promising. I wouldn't giveup on him. He needs to be handled with care. I think he should do well against South Africans, Newzealanders etc.
    Height certainly hasnt harmed Kumble

I just think he needs to bowl a lot more at fc level so he can establish what works and what doesnt

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Sorry guys, I should've pointed out that Alec and I are of roughly the same vintage ( ) and my assessment of him was made from experiences in the nets and in matches before he was fully established in the Surrey lineup

To give him credit, he had a top shelf career and that was no less than he deserved as he worked as hard at his game as anyone I've met
    Nice, always wanted the guy to do well. Seemed very likable for mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    True, a Duffer "heh" is like 50 likes.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information