Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 152

Thread: When I Was Wrong!

  1. #61
    BARNES OUT dontcloseyoureyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    CW BLACK
    Posts
    33,148
    Everytime I see this thread all I can think is: "When I was 17 I drank some very good beer." etc

    ... .... .- -.- . / - .... . / -.. . .- - .... / ..-. .-. --- -- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -... --- -. . ...

  2. #62
    ret
    ret is offline
    International Debutant ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    2,890
    on Ganguly .... that he should have been dropped before the current series .... he has been amazing in this series, playing out of his skin and showing one of the most graceful retirement in the Indian history .... I remember only Gavaskar and Sidhu going on a high earlier

    Amazing stuff from Ganguly
    Fastest gun in town

  3. #63
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    57,281
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Everytime I see this thread all I can think is: "When I was 17 I drank some very good beer." etc
    Haha, I thought of this song when I saw it the first few times. Wasn't happy either because it often gets stuck in my head when I hear it and I don't particularly like it at all.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'


    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

  4. #64
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Richard, I dont think that you realise that Rod Marsh, who was picked as a keeper batsman, averaged 26!!!!!!

    Wally Grout, Don Tallon and Brian Taber all averaged mid-teens!

    So for Healy to average 22 in his second season, it was actually seen as being pretty damned good

    Anyway, you need to look at selections and performances in the context of the time - Oz was comfortably the worst team in the world for a period so they were trying anyone at anytime in the hope that someone or something would succeed
    Marsh's average went down lots post-WSC - it was a damn good mid-30s in his heyday.

    Healy didn't actually average 22 in his second season either, he averaged 22 for an extended period, taking in 1989, 1989/90, 1990/91, 1991/92, 1992 and 1992/93.

    Grout, Tallon and Taber weren't batsmen of any note - they belonged to the era before the 1970s when wicketkeepers often enough played purely on wicketkeeping skill.

    Either way, I'm actually not saying anything that much about Healy, apart from the fact that he (like Stephen Waugh, like Hughes, like McDermott, like Reid, like Boon) were players who were mediocre for a time - sometimes a long time - but turned the corner and ended-up huge players in Australia's revival as a good Test team then their assault on and reaching of the summit. And that it'd not be all that surprising if each of these took someone (maybe many) by surprise somewhere.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006


  5. #65
    Hall of Fame Member social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    16,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Either way, I'm actually not saying anything that much about Healy, apart from the fact that he (like Stephen Waugh, like Hughes, like McDermott, like Reid, like Boon) were players who were mediocre for a time - sometimes a long time - but turned the corner and ended-up huge players in Australia's revival as a good Test team then their assault on and reaching of the summit. And that it'd not be all that surprising if each of these took someone (maybe many) by surprise somewhere.
    Waugh was the equivalent of Michael Clarke with only Allan Border in support

    McDermott was the equivalent of Brett Lee without McGrath, Gillespie and Warne

    Boon was a talent that was persevered with because there was no-one else

    Reid was, on his day,one of the world's best bowlers but injury prone

    Only Hughes was scoffed at

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Two lefties completely proved me wrong.

    Vinod Kambli - When he burst into the scene with two 200s, I thought he would go and become the greatest leftie of all time. And better than Sachin Tendulkar.

    Saurav Ganguly - Take 2005, no 2007 ODI drop, nah 2008 Irani Trophy omission, many times I predicted his retirement was imminent, he has come back. And when I learnt from my mistakes and predicted he has atleast a good year in front of him, he announces his retirement!

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Also I predicted a good career for Joginder Sharma post his FC exploits in 2003, going by stats alone (Ikki, you there?), as an allrounder. Only when I saw him in action, realised he's no where near test class, maybe an option in ODIs. Though just when I started giving up on him, he got selected into 20-20 WC side and boy!

  8. #68
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnottath View Post
    Vinod Kambli - When he burst into the scene with two 200s, I thought he would go and become the greatest leftie of all time. And better than Sachin Tendulkar.
    I imagine Kambli's case dumbfounded more people than not who watched it unfold. Not everyone would neccessarily have thought he was destined to be one of the best batsmen in history, but most I imagine were thinking, after the opening couple of series', that his Test career would last longer than 2 years.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rahmaniverse
    Posts
    7,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I imagine Kambli's case dumbfounded more people than not who watched it unfold. Not everyone would neccessarily have thought he was destined to be one of the best batsmen in history, but most I imagine were thinking, after the opening couple of series', that his Test career would last longer than 2 years.
    Sometimes, just sometimes, I feel he got done in by selectors. An avg of 50+ that still stands to his name, makes me think like that. Although he did play in ODIs till 99-00. Just wonder, had we been a bit more patient on him considering his vast talent.

  10. #70
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    13,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnottath View Post
    Also I predicted a good career for Joginder Sharma post his FC exploits in 2003, going by stats alone (Ikki, you there?), as an allrounder. Only when I saw him in action, realised he's no where near test class, maybe an option in ODIs. Though just when I started giving up on him, he got selected into 20-20 WC side and boy!
    Fluked his way through the key moments of the competition to be honest.

  11. #71
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,629
    Joginder Sharma is not an awful bowler. Sure, he is slower than your average Test bowler, but he must have a fair bit of guile if he is to earn such a FC record.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

  12. #72
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Haha, I thought of this song when I saw it the first few times. Wasn't happy either because it often gets stuck in my head when I hear it and I don't particularly like it at all.

    Ha ha, I love that song
    You know it makes sense.

  13. #73
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,808
    Enjoying reading this thread

    It has jogged my memory; when Mark Taylor played his first Test against the WI was bowled by a yorker off a no-ball, and was very late on it. A few runs later he was bowled by another yorker and again he was very late on it. I wrote him off for the 1989 Ashes tour

    I think he scored 800+ runs

  14. #74
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Haha, I thought of this song when I saw it the first few times. Wasn't happy either because it often gets stuck in my head when I hear it and I don't particularly like it at all.
    The Scooter "remix" from 2001 is even worse from that POV. Damn thing.

    Don't particularly like or dislike either version but the Scooter one has troubled me in "stuck on repeat" terms on more than 1 occasion in the last 7 years.

  15. #75
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Enjoying reading this thread

    It has jogged my memory; when Mark Taylor played his first Test against the WI was bowled by a yorker off a no-ball, and was very late on it. A few runs later he was bowled by another yorker and again he was very late on it. I wrote him off for the 1989 Ashes tour

    I think he scored 800+ runs
    Given England's gutter standards that summer I'd not have been surprised if no-one ever tried so much as a single Yorker to him all series.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Have I done anything wrong?
    By Piper in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 09:45 AM
  2. Where Did It All Go Wrong?
    By Richard in forum World Cup 2007
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-02-2007, 11:00 AM
  3. What's Bracken done wrong
    By fot in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 12-04-2006, 09:22 AM
  4. You were WRONG on the Polls !
    By ceo in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: 26-09-2002, 02:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •