• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stephen Fleming off to Yorkshire

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It has been reported that Stephen Fleming will replace Matthew Elliott at Yorkshire.

I guess it'll be good for Yorkshire to have one of the World's most respected captains aswell as Fleming getting some form for the Indian tour..I guess he can also check out Yuvraj Singh while he's at it.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Yes good signing - I'm sure he'll deliver the goods.

It did draw my attention to his stats though. Despite that big double ton recently he has 34x50s and 5x100s in tests, which is 1/8 conversion rate. Pretty shabby indeed. It is well documented that Ranatunga is the only batsman with 5000 runs but less than 8 centuries (he got 4). Fleming has 4700-odd runs.

In ODIs he has 34x50s and 4x100s. I know it is different because often players run out of overs when they are between 50 and 99, but of all the players who've passed 50 on 31 or more occasions (ie summed so Fleming has 39), of which there are 48, only four players have a worse conversion rate - Cronje (39/2), Border (39/3), S Waugh (45/3), Ranatunga (49/4) and A Flower (55/4).

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Fleming can't hide the fact that his international statistics are poor..but it was the same deal with Steve Waugh..he matured late & look at his career now although im not suggesting Fleming will reach those heights.

For Middlesex in 2001, he scored 1100 runs at an average of 55 so he'll be looking to average around 55 or even higher I would imagine.

Bazza

International 12th Man
No doubt and I wouldn't be overly surprised if he did, although I think the standard in the county game has risen (if nothing else due to the second overseas player and more 'fake' imports), albeit only slightly.

I found out a similar stat for tests that I got for ODIs, ie of all the players who have passed 50 on 31 or more occasions, only Ranatunga has a worse conversion rate, with 4 centuries but 38 50s.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I'm not that happy about it. He has been one of the players saying that he is playing too much cricket so why do this. Just for the money again. We don't want him overplayed before India.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't really heard Fleming complain, he has made comments about tours but not excessively.

I think he was wanting to have another stint at County Cricket to improve his game & I have no problems with him doing it.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The other factor is, is that Fleming is back as 1 of NZ's top 3 ranked players and he's earning a very nice sum of a money so he probably feels its his job now to develop himself some more.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If anyone can average 55 playing for Yorkshire, that's pretty well the equivalent of 65 anywhere else.

Headingley's still one of the most difficult places to score runs consistently, hence when they get called up to the England side people say 'Why him? Look at his average' and then they are suprised when suddenly blah blah (fades into the distance)..

It wasn't meant to be a flame-bait troll when I started typing.

PY

International Coach
Bazza said:
Cronje (39/2), Border (39/3), S Waugh (45/3), Ranatunga (49/4) and A Flower (55/4).
That isn't exactly a shabby list of players though is it? 3 of them at their prime (not Ranatunga) would have walked into most if not all current and past international teams :)

Interesting point about Headingley LE but what about Darren Lehmann? He absolute slaughtered County bowling home and away a couple of seasons ago (when Yorkshire won the CC??). I think it's improved as a pitch recently, still an interesting pitch for Tests to be played on because it deteriorates quickly. 8D

Rich2001

International Captain
Bazza said:
Cronje (39/2), Border (39/3), S Waugh (45/3), Ranatunga (49/4) and A Flower (55/4).
To be fair though, bar Andy Flower all these players came in alot lower than Fleming (who normally opens)

Langeveldt

Soutie
vicpride29 said:
Shame about Fleming needs to get his priorites straight.

Whats wrong with playing County cricket? Loads of Saffers and Aussies are keen to get stuck in

He is a batsman, so i doube he will get burnt out, i think its good that he wants to keep batting and finding form....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
vicpride29 said:
Shame about Fleming needs to get his priorites straight.
And what priority is it that he should have above his passion for cricket and desire to play it?