Thread: Stephen Fleming off to Yorkshire

Tim

Stephen Fleming off to Yorkshire

It has been reported that Stephen Fleming will replace Matthew Elliott at Yorkshire.

I guess it'll be good for Yorkshire to have one of the World's most respected captains aswell as Fleming getting some form for the Indian tour..I guess he can also check out Yuvraj Singh while he's at it.

Yes good signing - I'm sure he'll deliver the goods.

It did draw my attention to his stats though. Despite that big double ton recently he has 34x50s and 5x100s in tests, which is 1/8 conversion rate. Pretty shabby indeed. It is well documented that Ranatunga is the only batsman with 5000 runs but less than 8 centuries (he got 4). Fleming has 4700-odd runs.

In ODIs he has 34x50s and 4x100s. I know it is different because often players run out of overs when they are between 50 and 99, but of all the players who've passed 50 on 31 or more occasions (ie summed so Fleming has 39), of which there are 48, only four players have a worse conversion rate - Cronje (39/2), Border (39/3), S Waugh (45/3), Ranatunga (49/4) and A Flower (55/4).
    My house is burned down but I can see the sky.

Tim
    Yeah Fleming can't hide the fact that his international statistics are poor..but it was the same deal with Steve Waugh..he matured late & look at his career now although im not suggesting Fleming will reach those heights.

For Middlesex in 2001, he scored 1100 runs at an average of 55 so he'll be looking to average around 55 or even higher I would imagine.

No doubt and I wouldn't be overly surprised if he did, although I think the standard in the county game has risen (if nothing else due to the second overseas player and more 'fake' imports), albeit only slightly.

I found out a similar stat for tests that I got for ODIs, ie of all the players who have passed 50 on 31 or more occasions, only Ranatunga has a worse conversion rate, with 4 centuries but 38 50s.

State Vice-Captain
    I'm not that happy about it. He has been one of the players saying that he is playing too much cricket so why do this. Just for the money again. We don't want him overplayed before India.

Tim
    I haven't really heard Fleming complain, he has made comments about tours but not excessively.

I think he was wanting to have another stint at County Cricket to improve his game & I have no problems with him doing it.

Tim
    The other factor is, is that Fleming is back as 1 of NZ's top 3 ranked players and he's earning a very nice sum of a money so he probably feels its his job now to develop himself some more.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    If anyone can average 55 playing for Yorkshire, that's pretty well the equivalent of 65 anywhere else.

Headingley's still one of the most difficult places to score runs consistently, hence when they get called up to the England side people say 'Why him? Look at his average' and then they are suprised when suddenly blah blah (fades into the distance)..

It wasn't meant to be a flame-bait troll when I started typing.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Shame about Fleming needs to get his priorites straight.

PY
    Originally posted by Bazza
    Cronje (39/2), Border (39/3), S Waugh (45/3), Ranatunga (49/4) and A Flower (55/4).
    That isn't exactly a shabby list of players though is it? 3 of them at their prime (not Ranatunga) would have walked into most if not all current and past international teams

Interesting point about Headingley LE but what about Darren Lehmann? He absolute slaughtered County bowling home and away a couple of seasons ago (when Yorkshire won the CC??). I think it's improved as a pitch recently, still an interesting pitch for Tests to be played on because it deteriorates quickly. 8D
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    Originally posted by Bazza
    Cronje (39/2), Border (39/3), S Waugh (45/3), Ranatunga (49/4) and A Flower (55/4).
    To be fair though, bar Andy Flower all these players came in alot lower than Fleming (who normally opens)

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by vicpride29

Whats wrong with playing County cricket? Loads of Saffers and Aussies are keen to get stuck in

He is a batsman, so i doube he will get burnt out, i think its good that he wants to keep batting and finding form....
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Originally posted by vicpride29
    And what priority is it that he should have above his passion for cricket and desire to play it?
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Thread Information