• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vale Nigel Plews

BoyBrumby

Englishman
RIP Plod. Saw the black armbands today. One of those fellows I doubt anyone can find a bad word for; thoroughly decent man.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sad news

It’s well known that Plews did 25 years with Nottingham Police latterly in the fraud squad for 15 years – he would say “being an umpire can be rather like being in the witness box – it can be a very lonely place”

I heard a story about a championship match at Hove early in his umpiring career when he had given the bowlers nothing for all three days. One ACS Pigott was getting very hot and bothered by the last session of the match and enquired of Plews through gritted teeth, but extremely politely, just what he had to do to get the batsman’s “collar felt” – the equally polite, and perhaps inevitable riposte was “just bowl a little bit better lad”

By now the game was over and the Sussex skipper put on a “joke” bowler for the last over – when the batsman concerned got an LBW from Mr Plews first up Pigott’s reaction was “a stream of anglo-saxon invective the like of which I never heard in 25 years on the force”