• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Useless' Lawson to stay Pak coach: PCB

Precambrian

Banned
Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Ejaz Butt described national team coach Geoff Lawson as "useless" on Monday but said the Australian would see out his two-year contract.

"Lawson is a useless man. But there is no use removing him now and we will allow him to complete his contract which will not be renewed," Butt told his first news conference in Lahore.

http://cricketnext.in.com/news/useless-lawson-to-stay-pak-coach-pcb/34952-13.html

I've never been a great fan of Lawson. But this really doesnt help Pakistan cricket a bit.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a **** comment to make about someone. Seriously, that's a rubbish statement to make publicly given they appointed him in the 1st place and the team's hardly played at all.

And FWIW, even if they had been playing and losing everything, it's still a **** comment to make about someone publicly.

masterblaster

International Captain
Disappointing comments for mine. Geoff Lawson hasn't done much wrong, but with so much going on with Pakistan and their political climate, it's not his fault.

Precambrian

Banned
It is terrible really to wash dirty linen in the public. Now, who would want to coach Pakistan with this kind of a Board at the top? BCCI, for all the controversies during Greg Chappell's tenure, did a much better job.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a **** comment to make about someone. Seriously, that's a rubbish statement to make publicly given they appointed him in the 1st place and the team's hardly played at all.

And FWIW, even if they had been playing and losing everything, it's still a **** comment to make about someone publicly.
He's not Pakistani, he's the obvious scapegoat for all their ills. Even then this is low but not surprising.

duffer

Hmmm, the comments seem to have changed from "he's useless" to "we have no utility for him."

Think someone was being naughty somehwere along the way.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pakistani cricket is in such a sad state right now. Growing up, from a cricketing point of view, I never thought I'd be better off as an Indian fan than a Pakistani one, but here we are.

haroon510

International 12th Man
okk.. why he has to say it publically? couldn't he just let him know that in April 2009 when his contract was expired?

Fusion

Global Moderator
The level of incompetence by the PCB has reached new heights, which I didn't think was possible. Why would any self-respecting man, foreign or local, take up the Pakistani post now? With a complete **** this new Chairman is, yes even more so than the last one! If he was not satisfied with Lawson, then he should fire him right away. If he's worried about financial implications, then ride out the contract and don't announce to the world that your coach is "useless" and you plan to fire him. How can you expect anything out of Lawson now? What kind of an impact would this have in the dressing room with a lame-duck coach who's been publicly insulted by the new boss? What does this say about your ****ty leadership Mr. Chairman? You are a ****ing joke, just like Pakistan cricket. It is unbearable to be a Pakistani cricket fan right now.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan are the Oakland Raiders of cricket.

Even I wouldnt take the Pakistan job and Im less than nobody.

Its good for a chuckle though

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pakistan are the Oakland Raiders of cricket.

Even I wouldnt take the Pakistan job and Im less than nobody.

Its good for a chuckle though
Well he does get paid $30,000 a month. I'd take a punt. I'd go there, and sit down and suck up to the board. The team would keep losing, but I'd keep a cushy job.

Craig

World Traveller
If I was Lawson I would tell them to get ****** and tell him to coach the team. Tell him (Ejaz Butt) to do an honest days work for once in his life, not that he would know anything about it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, this makes no sense. If they think he's useless, they might as well sack him, especially if they're going to go public over their opinions (which I think really lacks tact anyway, and I'm as much behind people speaking their mind as it gets).

Obviously they can't just terminate his contract without paying him out or they'd plainly do so, but if he's going to stay on, why publically call him "useless"? It clearly can't help matters and it's pretty harsh regardless: an awesome coach he is not but useless he is not either.

I'm at a loss with this.

Precambrian

Banned
Lawson as well as sell his soul to Satan. Coaching India and Pakistan means just that, You get tempted by bucketload of money, only to end up looking a complete ass.

What is the real need for a coach? We had a very good year from May 07 to Feb 08, during which period we won Eng series, Pak series, the CB series and not so bad showing in the Downunder series.

masterblaster

International Captain
Lawson as well as sell his soul to Satan. Coaching India and Pakistan means just that, You get tempted by bucketload of money, only to end up looking a complete ass.

What is the real need for a coach? We had a very good year from May 07 to Feb 08, during which period we won Eng series, Pak series, the CB series and not so bad showing in the Downunder series.
We had a good support staff though, which contributed to the successes. Robin Singh as a fielding and fitness coach and Venkatesh Prasad as a bowling coach have both done really well with this Indian side.

Good thing about Gary Kirsten is that he seems to be a character who likes to work with his support staff and blend in. He also comes across as a good manager of personnel, and is fairly young and can relate with most of the current players. In that sense, he's been a good appointment.

duffer

We had a good support staff though, which contributed to the successes. Robin Singh as a fielding and fitness coach and Venkatesh Prasad as a bowling coach have both done really well with this Indian side.

Good thing about Gary Kirsten is that he seems to be a character who likes to work with his support staff and blend in. He also comes across as a good manager of personnel, and is fairly young and can relate with most of the current players. In that sense, he's been a good appointment.
Think Kirsten like you said, is very much a keep in the background observe and relay type of coach which suits our team and their personalities down to the ground. Where a guy like Chappell failed was by trying to be 'the boss' and force too much change too soon with the team which any good manager will tell you always rubs people the wrong way.

Whatever Venky is doing with our bowlers has been nothing sort of superb though. He's the perfect guy to have around to bring Ishant through.

pup11

International Coach
I think this is awfully low even by Pakistani standards, how can they humiliate a bloke like this in public and still have him as coach of the side till his contract expires, i mean after all this that has been said do these morons at PCB actually think Lawson from now on would give a rat' arse about the Pakistani team during the period he is in charge, but come to think of it again i don't think PCB cares about the state of the Pakistan cricket much either.