• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the young spinners : Mishra Vs Chawla Vs Ojha Vs Parmar

Who has the best future? (Multiple choice avl)

• Total voters

Precambrian

Banned
So, here we are. Indian spin fraternity is certainly not dead as we were to believe post Vengsarkar taking over the mantle as the Chief selector.

Go on, who's the most promising one? Mishra has done no harm to his cause by taking a Fifer on his debut. Chawla has done the same against the same side, though it was classified as a FC match. Ojha is developing into a solid left arm slow, reminiscing one of the great Bishen Singh Bedi. And there is Parmar, the Murali clone, who is proving that he can emulate Murali not just in action, but also in deeds.

Whom will you vote for? Will Chawla-Mishra-Ojha-Parmar become the new Bedi-Prasanna-Chandrasekar-Venkat?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mishra and Chawla in the same team (presuming both turning-out to be good, obviously) is indeed a fascinating prospect - it'd be the first time we'd seen two truly top-class wristspinners in a Test team since Grimmett and O'Reilly, and in truth only the third time in Test history with Schwarz and Vogler being the previous one (and they had a third, Faulkner, as well).

Warne and MacGill not counted as MacGill was only very rarely top-class.

As for who's best, well Mishra certainly looks good on the fundamentals (ie, a Leg-Break that actually turns a decent bit and which he doesn't drag down repetatively) but I've only seen him bowl this once - I don't have a clue whether he has a habit of bowling as well as he did in the first-innings at Mohali. His First-Class record suggests there's a decent prospect of that though.

Chawla has always been overhyped so far - his Leg-Break doesn't turn significantly, on any surface, and he's so far accomplished little at international level. Being aged just 19 years, still, however, that's no disgrace at all, as almost no 19-year-old is ever up to international cricket and his selection ITFP so far is most questionable.

Chawla has had the big wraps but it's easy to forget that Mishra too did at a similar age - I recall virtual fever-pitch around the time of India A's tour in 2003, so excited were some about him.

The two fingerspinners I know little about.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mishra and Chawla in the same team (presuming both turning-out to be good, obviously) is indeed a fascinating prospect - it'd be the first time we'd seen two truly top-class wristspinners in a Test team since Grimmett and O'Reilly, and in truth only the third time in Test history with Schwarz and Vogler being the previous one (and they had a third, Faulkner, as well).

As for who's best, well Mishra certainly looks good on the fundamentals (ie, a Leg-Break that actually turns a decent bit and which he doesn't drag down repetatively) but I've only seen him bowl this once - I don't have a clue whether he has a habit of bowling as well as he did in the first-innings at Mohali. His First-Class record suggests there's a decent prospect of that though.

Chawla has always been overhyped so far - his Leg-Break doesn't turn significantly, on any surface, and he's so far accomplished little at international level. Being aged just 19 years, still, however, that's no disgrace at all, as almost no 19-year-old is ever up to international cricket and his selection ITFP so far is most questionable.

Chawla has had the big wraps but it's easy to forget that Mishra too did at a similar age - I recall virtual fever-pitch around the time of India A's tour in 2003, so excited were some about him.

The two fingerspinners I know little about.
Parmar's no more of a finger spinner than Murali is, from what I've heard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
O I C, he's a Murali-remake is he?

Hope he has more success than that Tariq Mahmood fellow.

Double-jointed wrist (the first requirement to bowl like Murali) and good accuracy would be an exceptionally rare combination. It's surprising enough that Murali managed it - someone else doing so barely as Murali retires would be truly astonishing.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

You may be under-rating MacGill. A good enough bowler for most Test teams I'd have thought.

And you are also forgetting about the legendary partnership (circa 1990 so before your time I suppose) of Ian Salisbury and Andy Clarke. Curiously, for some reason they never played in the same Test team though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Richard doing a massive disservice to MacGill.

Off all Australia's leg spinners who have taken over 200 Test wickets, I'm fairly certain MacGill managed it quicker than anyone else.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Mishra is the best.
Parmar has most variety.

These two will be the future spin combination.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thought Mishra was easily the best before this test, and i most certainly still do. Ojha's a good one-day bowler, but i can't see him displacing the leggies from the test side.

Precambrian

Banned
Chawla did a Mishra at hyderabad for Board Presidents XI na? And If he manages to get extra turn on his leg spinner, he can be even better than Mishra.

I can see the our Golden Age of Spin beckoning. Where we field 2 pacers and 3 spinners on subcontinental tracks. And Piyush and Bhajji are no mugs with the bat.

Uppercut

Chawla did a Mishra at hyderabad for Board Presidents XI na? And If he manages to get extra turn on his leg spinner, he can be even better than Mishra.

I can see the our Golden Age of Spin beckoning. Where we field 2 pacers and 3 spinners on subcontinental tracks. And Piyush and Bhajji are no mugs with the bat.
Chawla doesn't have Mishra's control- not yet anyway. He also gets a little less turn. They both have the same strength, a difficult to pick googly. The important thing now is that they don't overuse them. The mental side of being a leg spinner is vital, and i haven't seen enough of either to suggest which is stronger in that department. Mishra's jaffas seemed to dry up today when Clarke and Haddin went after him, so that's not a good omen, but on the other hand his superb IPL performances don't suggest a personality that's easily fazed.

The hard bit for both comes after the initial honeymoon period, when they've been figured out a lot better than they are now. As it is, they're both excellent prospects, but Mishra is a lot closer to the finished article than Chawla IMO.

Precambrian

Banned
Chawla doesn't have Mishra's control- not yet anyway. He also gets a little less turn. They both have the same strength, a difficult to pick googly. The important thing now is that they don't overuse them. The mental side of being a leg spinner is vital, and i haven't seen enough of either to suggest which is stronger in that department. Mishra's jaffas seemed to dry up today when Clarke and Haddin went after him, so that's not a good omen, but on the other hand his superb IPL performances don't suggest a personality that's easily fazed.

The hard bit for both comes after the initial honeymoon period, when they've been figured out a lot better than they are now. As it is, they're both excellent prospects, but Mishra is a lot closer to the finished article than Chawla IMO.
AWTA. Chawla's not even 20 yet, so he has got a lot of time to improve his game. I think the current pecking order would be

Harby
Kumble
Mishy
Chawla
Ojha
Parmar

Uppercut

AWTA. Chawla's not even 20 yet, so he has got a lot of time to improve his game. I think the current pecking order would be

Harby
Kumble
Mishy
Chawla
Ojha
Parmar
Some major potential there, the only one i'm not convinced of is Ojha and i've never seen Parmar. Time for Kumble to bow out IMO, his captaincy really has been shown up by the team repeatedly playing far, far better under Dhoni. The only reason he might not is that it's not good when a legend like he seems to be forced out...

Precambrian

Banned
Some major potential there, the only one i'm not convinced of is Ojha and i've never seen Parmar. Time for Kumble to bow out IMO, his captaincy really has been shown up by the team repeatedly playing far, far better under Dhoni. The only reason he might not is that it's not good when a legend like he seems to be forced out...
I'll be glad if he turns up a last time at the Kotla, Delhi, as he's got a phenomenal record there. If it demands going with a batsman less, go for it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is nothing new. He's had the MacGill debate with almost every member of the forum who posts in Cricket Chat has over 5,000 posts. I think he's had it with about three different versions of me across time - I managed to get him to stalemate last time. Never going there again and I advise you now to stop being it consumes you. :p

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
O I C, he's a Murali-remake is he?

Hope he has more success than that Tariq Mahmood fellow.

Double-jointed wrist (the first requirement to bowl like Murali) and good accuracy would be an exceptionally rare combination. It's surprising enough that Murali managed it - someone else doing so barely as Murali retires would be truly astonishing.
I'm not sure about the physical credentials, but I've seen Parmar bowl a tad and the similarity to Muralitharan is uncanny.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If the BCCI can protect Parmar from the dubious actions panel or whatever he can be top top class. Kid is a freak of nature.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This is nothing new. He's had the MacGill debate with almost every member of the forum who posts in Cricket Chat has over 5,000 posts. I think he's had it with about three different versions of me across time - I managed to get him to stalemate last time. Never going there again and I advise you now to stop being it consumes you. :p
Ind33d. Can't remember said stalemate though TBH, must've been a while ago.
You may be under-rating MacGill. A good enough bowler for most Test teams I'd have thought.

Off all Australia's leg spinners who have taken over 200 Test wickets, I'm fairly certain MacGill managed it quicker than anyone else.
MacGill's capability with the ball has been vastly overestimated due to the incorrect supposition that Bangladesh (and ICC World XI) matches are worthy of Test status.

MacGill has only ever been good for the occasional good Test here and there, and has often only played such a thing due to Warne's presence. MacGill is and always was a pretty average bowler, though clearly above the norm in terms of wristspin. But had he been born elsewhere he'd have had a decidedly moderate Test career, IMO.