• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the young spinners : Mishra Vs Chawla Vs Ojha Vs Parmar

Who has the best future? (Multiple choice avl)

• Total voters

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Ojha's a good bowler - is accurate, gets good bounce and has nice variations in flight and pace - being a fingerspinner his impact in test cricket will be less than a good wristspinner but I think he will be useful enough in the right circumstances.
I definitely would like to see him partner Harbhajan in the ODi's though - think they could form a formidable combination

Never seen Parmar - will be interesting to see what the ICC do about his action if he does get picked for India though.

Chawla - still a work in progress IMO. Needs to work on his leg break and utilising his variations better - think he bowls his googly far too often.

Mishra - Looks decent but its early days yet. I hope he doesn't go down the Sivaramakrishnan/ Hirwani route.
Doesn't get the bounce Kumble does but does turn the ball a lot more.
Definitely looks the best test match prospect of the lot at this stage though and the guy most likely to replace Kumble.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would've voted for Mendis myself...
Goes without saying. Think he was left out as it would have rendered the thread pointless. Plus he's the only one out of the lot who wouldn't be eligible for India.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Chawla doesn't have Mishra's control- not yet anyway. He also gets a little less turn. They both have the same strength, a difficult to pick googly. The important thing now is that they don't overuse them. The mental side of being a leg spinner is vital, and i haven't seen enough of either to suggest which is stronger in that department. Mishra's jaffas seemed to dry up today when Clarke and Haddin went after him, so that's not a good omen, but on the other hand his superb IPL performances don't suggest a personality that's easily fazed.

The hard bit for both comes after the initial honeymoon period, when they've been figured out a lot better than they are now. As it is, they're both excellent prospects, but Mishra is a lot closer to the finished article than Chawla IMO.
I will have to disagree with that statement.
Mishra spins it more than chawla but chawla has better control.
I have been saying for long that mishra is a better Test bowler than chawla ,but i still tink they will be almost equal in ODI's and t20's.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Mishra is a more aggressive bowler, flights more and turns his leg break much more. Chawla is steady, does not turn his leg break too much, flights less. I would like to think Mishra will do better in Tests and Chawla in ODI's.

Haven't seen enough of Parmar to comment on the other comparison.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I will have to disagree with that statement.
Mishra spins it more than chawla but chawla has better control.
I have been saying for long that mishra is a better Test bowler than chawla ,but i still tink they will be almost equal in ODI's and t20's.
Ah, fair enough, I'm only making statements based on what i've seen- in none of the matches i've watched them in has Mishra sprayed the ball whatsoever, whereas i've seen Chawla do so occasionally. Small details like that i can't be sure of, but i've certainly thought Mishra looks much more the part than Chawla does.

Precambrian

Banned
Mishra is a more aggressive bowler, flights more and turns his leg break much more. Chawla is steady, does not turn his leg break too much, flights less. I would like to think Mishra will do better in Tests and Chawla in ODI's.

Haven't seen enough of Parmar to comment on the other comparison.
SJS, Didnt the ICC panel study his action and said OK?

Precambrian

Banned
I think Chawla too must be given a go int he longer version. ODIs are stupid to evaluate a leggie, esp a budding one, because he'll be trying to keep his eco. rate under 6. Not that Chawla did a bad job in England ODIs though.