• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matty Hayden v SUnil Gavaskar - better test opener ?

Was actually debating with a mate from Queensland about this the other day....
IMO, Gavaskar's the better player.....looking at Hayden's record its quite obvious he was merely good away from the higher bouncing Australian wickets whereas Gavaskar had a similar record home and away ..

What do you guys reckon ?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I get the feeling you guys aren't taking this seriously....

My 2c, Gavaskar but not by the distance some would suggest.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hayden - because he is a better player of left arm pacers from Baroda who migrate to Mumbai.

Hayden has agreat record on papaper but where he falls down relative to Gavaskar is his record away from home.

Gavaskar averaged over 50 outside India......Hayden only averages 42 away from Australia.

Also quite interesting to note that Hayden doesn't average above 35 in ENgland, NZ and RSA, the places where the ball is most likely to move around a bit.
Gavaskar never played in SA but averaged over 40 in ENgland And NZl.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member

are you kidding? gavaskar by so much it isn't funny...gavaskar bears serious comparison to the greatest ever openers test cricket has seen while hayden would be at least a couple of rungs below...

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Been through this a million times. Hayden is one of the greatest openers of all time and compares with Gavaskar quite easily. The comparison is helped by a few myths - some that seem to inflate Gavaskar's reputation and others that deflate Hayden's. Having said that, looking at it as it stands, Gavaskar is a bit better. If Hayden improves his away record there is no reason why he can't be the better of the two. Actually, Gavaskar's home record isn't too flash either and is held up by his smashing of Sri Lanka - minnows of the time.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
are you kidding? gavaskar by so much it isn't funny...gavaskar bears serious comparison to the greatest ever openers test cricket has seen while hayden would be at least a couple of rungs below...
This is ridiculous. Why would Hayden be a couple rungs below? If I were to bring the same arguments that people put against Hayden for Gavaskar then he wouldn't be near Hobbs and Sutcliffe either.