Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Matty Hayden v SUnil Gavaskar - better test opener ?

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Okay. Here is a new one. Kapil Dev versus Dennis Lillee - better Pace bowler ?

Let the debate begin.
    Or, who is the better middle-order batsman? - Mohammad Yousuf or Brian Lara
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    LOL, what? If this is about being better, I already said I think Gavaskar is better. But to say they are not comparable is tripe. I've already made my point in several threads, even gone as far as putting Hayden in my all-time XI, so I'll try not to rehash.

And Hayden isn't?

Actually, it isn't. And if I wanted to play the game of "weak" attacks that goes just as much for Gavaskar as it does to Hayden. Gavaskar has been ordinary at home, even with those tracks.

Hayden is criminally underrated here. To the point that someone like Richard can say Nasser Hussain is better and SJS can compare Dev with Hayden.

Gavaskar is an all-time great, but to say he is not comparable is stupid. By the same account he isn't comparable to Hobbs, Sutcliffe or Hutton and is "merely" an Indian great. For the same reasons Hayden is denied, Sunil himself can just as easily be denied compared to the English openers.

Anyway, I've had my rant and I know the same people will think the same things without even questioning themselves. If Hayden gets his away average to about 47-50, he's done enough to equate Sunil IMO.
    Sorry it was in jest.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    You could question any wicket takers record from the home team in the Sub. Cont
    If you had read any of the 1000 posts I have made about Lillee you would know I was joking

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Why does evey post hide behind calling bastmen's records aided by flat wickets, then maybe we people should start adjusting bowlers stats to account for when the conditions favoured them. Murali hasn't been overly effective in Australia, so he isn't that good a bowler
    I don't know why? Maybe because it is a fact!
    You know it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    If you had read any of the 1000 posts I have made about Lillee you would know I was joking
    good to hear

International Coach
    Gavaskar was the perfect opener. Almost flawless technique and could play attacking or defensive innings as the situation warranted (Lords 1975 apart). Hayden has a dreadful technique similar to K9 chasing a greyhound bunny but it's hard to argue with the quantity of runs he scores.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Hmm, if Hayden = Gavaskar, then Sehwag is closing in on Gavaskar.

That thought made me throw up a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    ...but to say Hayden was average - because that's what Dev was as a pacer...
    Wait, wait, wait...What? Kapil Dev was an average bowler? Well, yes, his bowling is in no way comparable to Lillee's but that's a different question altogether...But, Kapil Dev was an average bowler! Then what was Sir Gary Sobers? I sincerely hope you won't say poor...

And you completely misunderstood SJS's point...He never meant Hayden is average...He meant Hayden is a very good opener, as good as Kapil as a pace bowler perhaps...But Lillee and Gavaskar are in a different league altogether...They are among the best 5-6 in the business in history of cricket (in pace bowling and opening respectively), which Hayden or Kapil aren't...If you want to differ in view do that (like if you feel Hayden is one of the best openers in the history of test cricket, you are free to feel so), but don't make comments like calling Kapil an average bowler...On a second thought, probably you yourself will understant that was idiotic.
    Last edited by weldone; 19-10-2008 at 04:17 AM.

the difference between gavaskar and hayden is the difference between marshall and walsh. and that is not meant to be insulting to any of the four champs above.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    are you kidding? gavaskar by so much it isn't funny...gavaskar bears serious comparison to the greatest ever openers test cricket has seen while hayden would be at least a couple of rungs below...
    Check out the actual attacks he batted against when playing WI and England away. I think SJS (apologies if incorrect) did something on that a year or so back IIRC.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    ikki is correct

Some of the pretentious opinions seemingly ingrained on this forum are ridiculous

Batsman with 7,000/8,000 or more test runs at an average over 50 can all reasonably be compared to each other, with the exception of Bradman. This should be obvious yet somehow isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    ikki is correct

Some of the pretentious opinions seemingly ingrained on this forum are ridiculous

Batsman with 7,000/8,000 or more test runs at an average over 50 can all reasonably be compared to each other, with the exception of Bradman. This should be obvious yet somehow isn't.
    Ah yes, tell us about Viv Richards again

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Ah yes, tell us about Viv Richards again
    Viv Richards- a fine batsman, fit for comparison with the likes of Matthew Hayden and Sunil Gavaskar

Viv Richards- a fine batsman, fit for comparison with the likes of Matthew Hayden and Sunil Gavaskar
    I thought you would 'bite' harder then that

I am not sure if you watched Gavaskar bat? But you have watched Lara and Ponting, would you rate Ponting in front of Lara? He has a better average

Or- Viv Richards, the batsman who could (apparently) dominate attacks with ease, yet (apparently) chose (?) not to, instead settling for being less successful at test match run-gettery than the (apparently) mediocre Matthew Hayden.

Or- Viv Richards, the batsman who could (apparently) dominate attacks with ease, yet (apparently) chose (?) not to, instead settling for being less successful at test match run-gettery than the (apparently) mediocre Matthew Hayden.
    That is more like it!

Now I say "you had to watch Viv to appreciate just what a great batsman he was"

Then you say .....................

Then I say ........................

But I don't have the energy tonight

So lets just leave it at that

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information