Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Current pecking order?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    Because we won't go down that low very often.

At the moment, we have an attack of Hilfenhaus, Johnson, Siddle and Hauritz.

Johnson
    Siddle
    Hilfenhaus

Clark
    Lee
    Bollinger

The bolded players are the ones we are using. If we were using 4 quicks, then we would need another player after Bollinger. But with 3 players, in cover, and Watson and McDonald as well, we have plenty of bowlers.
    Thanks for the insight Jake.

I don't know about you but I find it interesting to see who's on the rise and who is falling. Look at the first few posts in this thread and see how much the order has changed within the past year.

Also if you are trying to work out who should get a CA contract you need more then 6 pace bowlers.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Thanks for the insight Jake.

I don't know about you but I find it interesting to see who's on the rise and who is falling. Look at the first few posts in this thread and see how much the order has changed within the past year.

Also if you are trying to work out who should get a CA contract you need more then 6 pace bowlers.
    I feel the same, it is really interesting watching how quick a bowler can fall off the radar (Noffke) whilst another (McKay) in the space of one season can launch up the ranks.

Look at a cricketer like Laughlin, last year only the Queensland followers would have heard about this lad; after 1 incredible ODD season he is playing for Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
    I feel the same, it is really interesting watching how quick a bowler can fall off the radar (Noffke) whilst another (McKay) in the space of one season can launch up the ranks.

Look at a cricketer like Laughlin, last year only the Queensland followers would have heard about this lad; after 1 incredible ODD season he is playing for Australia.
    That really was a idiot selection. Given that Nannes was available...

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    That really was a idiot selection. Given that Nannes was available...
    He did have a ridiculously awesome ODD season, but yeah, would've preferred Nannes.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

International Regular
    What were Laughlin's figures before selection?

I had heard of his before selection, and I'm not a Queenslander.

As good as Nannes is, I can't see any benefit having an uncapped 34 year old as a fringe player. Way better off having the fringe player as an up and commer like Laughlin or McKay.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpers_Ghost View Post
    As good as Nannes is, I can't see any benefit having an uncapped 34 year old as a fringe player. Way better off having the fringe player as an up and commer like Laughlin or McKay.
    But Nannes is way better than those two. Age aint an issue, AUS called up Colin Miller in PAK 98 because he was the best off-spinner in the country & for a good few years he was very solid.

Even if Nannes plays for a year or two, thats good enough. He definately should be in the T20team without question.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    But Nannes is way better than those two. Age aint an issue, AUS called up Colin Miller in PAK 98 because he was the best off-spinner in the country & for a good few years he was very solid.

Even if Nannes plays for a year or two, thats good enough. He definately should be in the T20team without question.
    Maybe, but he definetly shouldn't be carrying the drinks in the 50 over games

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpers_Ghost View Post
    Maybe, but he definetly shouldn't be carrying the drinks in the 50 over games
    I think AUS could risk not picking him in the ODI set-up. But not T20s at all.

Haha @ the assertion that not picking Nannes in ODIs is a "risk".

God some players get over-rated on this board for no particular reason sometimes.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Haha @ the assertion that not picking Nannes in ODIs is a "risk".

God some players get over-rated on this board for no particular reason sometimes.
    How is that assertion overrating Nannes?. He is good enough to play in the ODI team clearly. But he just cant leapfrog Lee, Johnson, Siddle, Hilfy, Bracken, Tait ATM. Thats all.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    If he can't leapfrog them then how is he good enough?
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Because all of them are equally competent ODI bowlers. Plus given Nannes age, the selectors most likely won't want to pick him short term.

But T20s is a different beast, he clearly is AUS best T20 bowler ATM. Thus is a must pick in the future in this format.

Johnson
    Lee
    Siddle
    Hilfenhaus
    Clark
    Bollinger
    Geeves
    Magoffin
    McKay

This what I think the current pecking order is, or atleast this in the order in which the selectors rate the current crop of fast bowlers, haven't named Nannes, Noffke or Tait in there, because I believe the selectors don't have them in their scheme of things as far as test cricket is concerned, for various reasons.

I think Clark has slipped down a fair bit in that pecking order, after a poor tour of India and then that elbow injury, the selectors seem to have lost a bit of faith in him, and if he fails to resurrect his career during the Ashes series, then he might be at the risk of fading away from international cricket.

Moving on, I agree with what aussie is saying about Nannes, but tbh he really doesn't offer anything vastly different in comparison to other young Australian fast bowlers.

So over the past week or so I've seen about 15 names who should either be in the Australian team or the A team. So what's everyone's current Aussie pace bowling pecking order? Tests obvs..

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information