• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When will India become Number Uno?

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
No reason why Murali cant carry on for another 5 years. Not saying he will but he could if he wanted... so I dont see how he is a short term solution.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Could he?

I'd not rule it out completely but it'd have to be regarded as extremely unlikely. You do know how much stress has already been put on his shoulder and wrist in his 16-year career?

I've already thought I've noticed him spinning the ball less in the last 12 months than before - his ineffectiveness in Australia and his relatively anodyne (by his standards) performances at home to England (albeit on mostly desperately slow pitches) seemed to suggest that. Though I've not seen him since.

Precambrian

Banned
Could he?

I'd not rule it out completely but it'd have to be regarded as extremely unlikely. You do know how much stress has already been put on his shoulder and wrist in his 16-year career?

I've already thought I've noticed him spinning the ball less in the last 12 months than before - his ineffectiveness in Australia and his relatively anodyne (by his standards) performances at home to England (albeit on mostly desperately slow pitches) seemed to suggest that. Though I've not seen him since.
Add to that his below-par (by his standards) performance against India in SL this year. Murali's most wickets were that of the tailenders and averaged in the thirties against the top 6. This aspect completely overshadowed by the brilliance of Mendis, who toyed with the Fav 4.

tooextracool

International Coach
Yeah Murali is definetly showing signs of decline, the fact that England handled him fairly reasonably for the most part is testiment to that and he does appear to be turning the ball a lot less these days.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Murali is definetly showing signs of decline, the fact that England handled him fairly reasonably for the most part is testiment to that and he does appear to be turning the ball a lot less these days.
Yeah, but, Murali is the one player in test cricket i'm terrified of saying that about :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyone who writes-off Murali or takes it for granted that he's on the decline is a fool of the highest order, certainly. But even the most freakish of freaks cannot go on forever and as I say, this year has certainly been his most moderate for some time. It's no more than a thought at the back of the mind for me currently, and we'll see what happens in the next few months.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone who writes-off Murali or takes it for granted that he's on the decline is a fool of the highest order, certainly. But even the most freakish of freaks cannot go on forever and as I say, this year has certainly been his most moderate for some time. It's no more than a thought at the back of the mind for me currently, and we'll see what happens in the next few months.
why? is he incapable of declining?

Precambrian

Banned
Reading the first statement alone, I was compelled to post exactly what Anil posted. Then I read the remaining lines, and I knew the unique word-wizard Rich was at work. Completely bamboozled like Mendis's flicker, which he admits he dunno which way would turn.