• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09

Athlai

Not Terrible
Myburgh, Stewart, Harris and Anderson isn't a bad rest of order. Wagner exploiting the greenish (from what I heard yesterday) conditions down there.

Ironically the most technically horrible batsman (Papps) is still in.

There's still the Bond factor too.

EDIT: Papps gone
Yeah but you have 4 batsman left to score a reasonable total while Otago has a gun like Mascarenhas down at 7.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa/England Volts so far

:sleep:
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise Wagner was actually wearing a South African uniform.

He's playing for Otago, as is Mascarenhas, so it's the Otago Volts. How's Wellington going in the State Shield? Oh yeah, that's right...

Athlai

Not Terrible
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise Wagner was actually wearing a South African uniform.

He's playing for Otago, as is Mascarenhas, so it's the Otago Volts. How's Wellington going in the State Shield? Oh yeah, that's right...
Otago are my 2nd team TBH and I'm enjoying watching them play but you just never see the locals themselves do too well down there. Same things happening with the rugby despite a revival from Southland in the last year or two.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Anderson should raise his bat for making double figures. Something the 5 preceding batsman couldn't manage.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Otago are my 2nd team TBH and I'm enjoying watching them play but you just never see the locals themselves do too well down there.
Hmm, that's odd - I've just seen a "wicket" appear next to Warren McSkimming's name and - forgive me if I'm mistaken, Athlai, but Wazza grew up in Central Otago and was a boarder at Waitaki Boys' in Oamaru.

And the guy who has been causing all the trans-Tasman ruckus in the last few days, Brendon McCullum? Where do you think he is from? Shaun Haig? Dunedin lad since at least his teens, Nathan McCullum, obviously a Dunedinite as well, and was good enough to make the national Twenty20 squad for the World Cup and Sean Eathorne, another Dunedin lad.

Here's the deal - this is called "modern" sport, and the sense of provincial pride is a relic of the bygone era. Despite this, there's still four Dunedin-bred players in the side and there's often even more during the State Championship. Are you expecting a province where the population drift north still exists to just roll over and die? And again, what exactly are Otago/Southland meant to do when they're COMFORTABLY the smallest province population-wise in NZ cricket.

Auckland - well over 1.3 million
Northern Districts - Hamilton, Whangerei, Tauranga, Rotorua, Cambridge, Taupo et al - 500,000 comfortably
Central Districts - New Plymouth, Napier, Hastings, Palmerston North, Masterton, Nelson - 300,000 at a guess
Wellington - close to 400,000
Canterbury - close 500,000
Otago - batting around just over 200,000?

And by the way, aren't two of your star players a Saffa and a former Central Districts boy? And I'm pretty sure G. Napier isn't a Naenae lad...

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hmm, that's odd - I've just seen a "wicket" appear next to Warren McSkimming's name and - forgive me if I'm mistaken, Athlai, but Wazza grew up in Central Otago and was a boarder at Waitaki Boys' in Oamaru.

And the guy who has been causing all the trans-Tasman ruckus in the last few days, Brendon McCullum? Where do you think he is from? Shaun Haig? Dunedin lad since at least his teens, Nathan McCullum, obviously a Dunedinite as well, and was good enough to make the national Twenty20 squad for the World Cup and Sean Eathorne, another Dunedin lad.

Here's the deal - this is called "modern" sport, and the sense of provincial pride is a relic of the bygone era. Despite this, there's still four Dunedin-bred players in the side and there's often even more during the State Championship. Are you expecting a province where the population drift north still exists to just roll over and die? And again, what exactly are Otago/Southland meant to do when they're COMFORTABLY the smallest province population-wise in NZ cricket.

Auckland - well over 1.3 million
Northern Districts - Hamilton, Whangerei, Tauranga, Rotorua, Cambridge, Taupo et al - 500,000 comfortably
Central Districts - New Plymouth, Napier, Hastings, Palmerston North, Masterton, Nelson - 300,000 at a guess
Wellington - close to 400,000
Canterbury - close 500,000
Otago - batting around just over 200,000?

And by the way, aren't two of your star players a Saffa and a former Central Districts boy?
Not trying to argue that other teams don't play non-provincial players or that its a bad thing.

I suppose I care more about Otago cricket being localized since I was born and bred there. I understand why the players are there and I rate Mascarenhas and Wagner highly but it just bothers me I guess. Can't imagine what some Pom supporters must feel like with all the Kolpaks.

And in other news Canterbury going down the sinkhole here.

Athlai

Not Terrible
And by the way, aren't two of your star players a Saffa and a former Central Districts boy? And I'm pretty sure G. Napier isn't a Naenae lad...
I also don't care as much about 'who comes from Wellington' as my support for them comes from completely different roots to my support for Otago.
Otago:
My family comes from Otago
I was born in Invers
Otago Highlanders - Josh Kronfeld, Jeff Wilson, Tony Brown etc.

Wellington:
It's my new home
I love the city by my own choice rather than any family ties (as I have 0 family besides my mother and sister north of ChCh in NZ)
When I was 5 my dad got me a Hurricanes jersey because the Highlanders were sold out and I've never looked back
+Tana, Jon Preston, James Franklin, Jeetan Patel
-Parlanes

I guess in my mind Wellingtons a place you go to and Otagos a place you come from.

Flem274*

123/5
I wish we had Cantabrians on here.

Mind you, they're so far up their own arses they're probably 2 c00l 4 ths bord.

**** I'm a troll when it comes to domestic cricket.:happy: Go CD Go! I luv u Matti Sinclear!

Athlai

Not Terrible
I wish we had Cantabrians on here.

Mind you, they're so far up their own arses they're probably 2 c00l 4 ths bord.

**** I'm a troll when it comes to domestic cricket.:happy: Go CD Go! I luv u Matti Sinclear!
:laugh:Been texting my mate the whole time. He's mostly just stoked Harris was playing.