• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
I haven't heard anything at all to support this so couldn't be sure. NZ under-19 rep Harry Boam has been based in Birmingham IIRC and got handed a Wellington contract
Don't know quite where you're coming from with that comment. He was only born in Birmingham, lived in NZ the vast majority of his life I'm pretty sure.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
ODI:wacko: List-A I presume:p Funny you didn't mention anything about how Bennett went in the Emerging Players' tournament - 18 overs 0/126. Definately needs to work on bowling a tighter line. Be picking these guys for big seasons

Auckland - Nicol, McKay
Canterbury - Myburgh, Burtt
Central - Hay, Diamanti
Northern - Merchant, Boult
Otago - Todd, McMillan
Wellington - Woodcock, Bowden
Jimmy's past his best, unfortunately. He's finding it harder and harder to stay on the paddock. Great talent, but likes his nights out a bit too much.

Look at the record of the 22 year-old South African left-arm seamer Otago managed to sign:huh:
Could be a bit misleading though - aren't there almost two levels of first-class cricket in South Africa?

bryce

International Regular
Don't know quite where you're coming from with that comment. He was only born in Birmingham, lived in NZ the vast majority of his life I'm pretty sure.
He asked if there were any English players signed to play and I was under the impression he was playing cricket in England prior to the under-19 world cup at least anyway, could be wrong though, horribly repentant if I struck a nerve...

bryce

International Regular
Jimmy's past his best, unfortunately. He's finding it harder and harder to stay on the paddock. Great talent, but likes his nights out a bit too much.
Haha, yeah he was a disappointment in a big way last year - I just remember seeing him bowl at some stage of his career and thought he looked quite good, think that was a couple of seasons ago though. If he's not going too flash this year he may even struggle to get a game with the likes of Butler, Harvie, Smith & Turner pushing to join McSkimming, Scott & newly-signed Wagner for a spot in the seam attack
Could be a bit misleading though - aren't there almost two levels of first-class cricket in South Africa?
Yeah there's a "A" & "B" pool IIRC, though i'm pretty sure all SA FC cricket is of a generally high standard. Elliott came to NZ with a fairly average record so I guess only time will tell

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah there's a "A" & "B"
Nah, they have a genuine second tier now. They basically just put another competition (franchise cricket) on top of their existing one and they overlap so you get some pretty poor standard cricket played in that second tier at times.

Franchise cricket is very strong but the level below is nowhere near the same standard so you have to be careful when looking at South African First Class records.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Kiwis, how much interest does the public really take towards your domestic competitions whether it be FC, OD or 20/20's?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kiwis, how much interest does the public really take towards your domestic competitions whether it be FC, OD or 20/20's?
First Class: About half a dozen
One Dayers: I'd reckon around quarter past eleven
and 20/20s: A lot. I'd reckon somewhere around 'Y' or possibly beyond. Could be looking at '%' or even '&'

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Heaps. Nah, none.

I mean, honestly, how are we supposed to quantify this?
Sorry if i wasn't clear. But i basically want to know how much interest crowds in NZ take towards domestic competitions, since from all the international cricket i've ever seen in NZ in my lifetime only the AUS tours of 00, 05 & the chappell-hadlee series before the 07 WC, have i really seen energetic NZ crowds. The crowds in Englands tours 02, 08 were pretty flat IMO.

So based on that i'm curious to know if crowds really take much interest in the domestic games.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Twenty20 games are usually sold out, but hardly anyone goes to the FC or 50 over games.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Also have to remember most FC matches around the world take place when people who would probably watch them are working. Hence the popularity of T20, which you can watch after finishing work (or school) and still get home at a reasonable hour.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's a good point.

I usually go to a few games during the summer break, but with all the Auckland games at Colin Maiden Park this summer I'm not sure that's possible. Pretty hard to get to from here.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'm hoping to get to a few of the University Oval matches this year. Especially if there are some Black Caps involved.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
He asked if there were any English players signed to play and I was under the impression he was playing cricket in England prior to the under-19 world cup at least anyway, could be wrong though, horribly repentant if I struck a nerve...
Don't know how you think you struck a nerve...

99% sure he's never played cricket in England except for the NZ u19 tour there.

99*

International Debutant
That's a good point.

I usually go to a few games during the summer break, but with all the Auckland games at Colin Maiden Park this summer I'm not sure that's possible. Pretty hard to get to from here.
:huh: Where's this? :unsure: