• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hong Kong Sixes

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
On November 8th and 9th this year. I was hoping to go but I don't think I will be in South China during that period.

Anyhow, announced teams so far...

England
Dimitri Mascarenhas (capt), Tim Bresnan, Ed Joyce, Darren Maddy, Graham Napier, Jonathan Trott, Graham Wagg.

South Africa
Tyron Henderson (capt), Gulam Bodi, Loots Bosman, Alan Kruger, Vernon Philander, Jon-Jon Smuts, Roelof van der Merwe.

Nice life cricketers have, me thinks they will not be slumming it in Chungking Mansions...

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kind of annoying this is happening when it is, since I'm heading down to HK for the weekend beforehand for a rugby game or two, and then to see the Bledisloe Cup, especially since I'm kicking myself for missing the Shanghai edition of this a few weeks back; Ian Bothan, Ian Healy, Merv Hughes and Allan Lamb. That said, I think I'm staying at Chungking when we go down...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Very strong English team. Not one weak player for this level.

Happy to see Roelof van der Merwe playing for SA. He has an amazing eye and the lack of fielders and short boundaries will really suit his style. His batting will be more valuable than his bowling. Of all the guys Ive played with, this supposed bowler is responsible for me developing a decent slower ball in order to stop fetching from outside the nets.

FBU

International Debutant
Very strong English team. Not one weak player for this level.

Happy to see Roelof van der Merwe playing for SA. He has an amazing eye and the lack of fielders and short boundaries will really suit his style. His batting will be more valuable than his bowling. Of all the guys Ive played with, this supposed bowler is responsible for me developing a decent slower ball in order to stop fetching from outside the nets.
I think Joyce would be the weak link.

bryce

International Regular
I'm guessing Joyce & Bosman will be keepers. Also noticed that Chanderpaul, S.Fleming, Langer, Martyn & I.Ul-Haq have been confirmed for the all-star team - they might have some big totals to chase!

Last edited:

bryce

International Regular
Stephen Fleming, sorry.
From memory NZ normally do well at this tournament. Here is my shortlist - players' who can bat very aggressively and can do some sort of job with the ball(5 to be omitted but that was too hard for me lol)

Dewayne Bowden
Neil Broom
Ian Butler
Brendon Diamanti
Brandon Hiini
Bruce Martin
Nathan McCullum
Peter McGlashan(wk)
Warren McSkimming
Greg Morgan
Bradley Scott
Ewen Thompson

Polo23

International Debutant
Didn't Southee, Crowe and Astle play in the last one for us?

Butler, Hiini and McCullum would be good bets...and a few youngsters i'd imagine, as well as probably an older experienced bloke or two.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Kind of annoying this is happening when it is, since I'm heading down to HK for the weekend beforehand for a rugby game or two, and then to see the Bledisloe Cup, especially since I'm kicking myself for missing the Shanghai edition of this a few weeks back; Ian Bothan, Ian Healy, Merv Hughes and Allan Lamb. That said, I think I'm staying at Chungking when we go down...
Alright for a weekend but I couldn't do more than that at Chungking. The actual rooms are not that bad but the area is the ****ing pits. It's the Causeway and Metro for me but that's a bit tai gui.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've never even heard of Steve Wilkins.

Or Jon-Jon Smuts for that matter. Great name though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I've never even heard of Steve Wilkins.

Or Jon-Jon Smuts for that matter. Great name though.
A young batsman and RSA U19 opener who is highly thought of. I believe Langeveldt on here has played with him.

brockley

International Captain
Aussies will send a academy side as usual but we have done ok but not against the big boys.
Coverage last year not so good in the media hope its better next time.

Jakester1288

International Regular
England have no spinners, perhaps that is a wise idea
I disagree. A proper spinner is valuable in Twenty20 Cricket. Part time spinners are worthless, as Michael Clarke and Andrew Symonds proved to be during the Twenty20 world cup. A proper spinner is hard to get away, and has little pace on the ball so the batsmen has to do all the work.

Vettori is the perfect Twenty20 spinner, as is Warne.

Hong Kong Sixes...

...are going to be worth 9 runs.

;)
Indeed, if the batsmen hit the ball in excess of 90 metres.